The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

11 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Svech looks like he could be Ivan Drago on skates.

" I Must Break You "  lol   yeah Andrei is a good kid .  he will fit right in with the canes .  fans are going to love him !

okay here is the question ,   I've been thinking about this since the week after we won the lottery  and came to the conclusion of who the canes would pick , 

so the question .   Andrei Svechnikov  wears the number 14   , i think for his world juniors  he wore number 7  ,   we already have players that use those numbers with Williams and Ryan ,   are we keeping williams  cause it really did seem like Brind'amour was really high on him staying with the canes . ? or are we more than likely letting Ryan go ? Cause I want to see  svechnikov  use the number he wants to use  but i dont know if he will be able to , i have not seen him use another number other than 14 or 7 .   what do you guys think ? 

23 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

here is a link to Svechnikov  being interviewed  

23 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'd never learn English if I was 18 and she was my interpreter 

Me neither.  But we don't need young Svech distracted once he joins the Canes.  I suggest swapping out his current interpreter for one Azamat Bagatov.  He comes highly recommended - nice!

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

Hey! Want to know how the invitees to the NHL Central Scouting combine scored in their physical tests?

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

There's a drop-down list on the right-hand side of the page that shows the top 25 in all the different tests.

Dahlin and Svechnikov did okay, but it you only drafted on pure, raw physical talent, Liam Foudy of England would be your guy. He scored in the top ten of more tests than anyone, from my quick scan. 118 inch standing broad jump, scored well in pullups, vertical jump, etc.

3 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Hey! Want to know how the invitees to the NHL Central Scouting combine scored in their physical tests?

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

There's a drop-down list on the right-hand side of the page that shows the top 25 in all the different tests.

Dahlin and Svechnikov did okay, but it you only drafted on pure, raw physical talent, Liam Foudy of England would be your guy. He scored in the top ten of more tests than anyone, from my quick scan. 118 inch standing broad jump, scored well in pullups, vertical jump, etc.

something to consider if they  drop in later rounds . 

Going through the individual tests, it looks like Svechnikov actually did pretty well imo. He was on quite a few top 25 lists, including strength, agility, body fat%, and endurance tests so he was pretty well rounded too. I was impressed.

Zadina was pretty much absent from the top 25 lists.

I don’t put much into the combine but it was good to see Svechnikov have a good showing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Zadina was pretty much absent from the top 25 lists.

I don’t put much into the combine but it was good to see Svechnikov have a good showing.

I agree that the combines are at best a tie breaker. But in that case, and with Brind'Amour having a prominent seat on the committee, maybe this will ease any possible temptations to go for Zadina. 

I think Zadina is going to be a very good player BTW and compared to the guys we were looking at when we were thinking #11, he'd be a home run as would Tkachuk, and frankly Wahlstrom too, but at #2, it just has to be Svech!

• Like 1

Just a fun thought on the draft. I think this is a fairly deep draft. There are interesting forwards at least in the top 10 and really lower too. 

There have been rumors that Vancouver wants Hanifin, and we've long kicked around trades with Edmonton. Edmonton has made noise about being willing to trade the #10 pick and most conjecture around Vancouver for Hanifin includes the #7 pick plus. 

I don't know exactly how we'd do it, or what other piece we'd get back or if Vancouver or Edmonton has any interest in Faulk, or what, but how fun would it be to have the #2 and say the #7 picks? Based on mock drafts and rankings I've seen we could end up with Svech and Wahlstrom if we got the #7. Holy cow Batman, these are really two potentially elite guys at least one being NHL ready now. 

Absolutely getting a #1 goalie is job 1. And I think this team really needs to break into the playoffs and especially Wahlstrom, probably needs at least one  more year. But if we could figure a way to find a veteran to fill in up front for a few years...? ROR? 

I don't know, I'm just dreaming here, but some sort of deal with Edmonton that brings us a guy and the pick and maybe Farabee. Just looking long term it could be interesting. Just kicking the ball around. 

Whatever we do, though, don't trade the #2.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just a fun thought on the draft. I think this is a fairly deep draft. There are interesting forwards at least in the top 10 and really lower too. 

There have been rumors that Vancouver wants Hanifin, and we've long kicked around trades with Edmonton. Edmonton has made noise about being willing to trade the #10 pick and most conjecture around Vancouver for Hanifin includes the #7 pick plus. 

I don't know exactly how we'd do it, or what other piece we'd get back or if Vancouver or Edmonton has any interest in Faulk, or what, but how fun would it be to have the #2 and say the #7 picks? Based on mock drafts and rankings I've seen we could end up with Svech and Wahlstrom if we got the #7. Holy cow Batman, these are really two potentially elite guys at least one being NHL ready now. 

Absolutely getting a #1 goalie is job 1. And I think this team really needs to break into the playoffs and especially Wahlstrom, probably needs at least one  more year. But if we could figure a way to find a veteran to fill in up front for a few years...? ROR? 

I don't know, I'm just dreaming here, but some sort of deal with Edmonton that brings us a guy and the pick and maybe Farabee. Just looking long term it could be interesting. Just kicking the ball around. 

Whatever we do, though, don't trade the #2.

we are not getting vancouvers  pick when there are defense men still there to pick  ,  they would be out of their minds to trade that pick for hanifin ,    edmonton  might be willing to do it ,  but  at that spot we would not be getting an ideal player  that makes the team any time soon  maybe 2 or 3 years out .   tom dundon has stated that he wants  to change the culture  NOW , and we are pretty much done with  rebuilding the team , we either make the playoffs next year or it was all for not and last time i checked ,  tom is not a patient man .   

in order to get vancouvers pick  we would have to give up  our 2nd round pick this year ,  noah hanifin ,  necas  , and our 4th round pick from arizona  this year , that is way to much to sacrifice   and who would we be getting back ? oliver is a talented kid  no doubt but he needs a few more years to develop his game  before making it to the nhl .   it might help us in the long run but  that would be another year of missing the playoffs if we dont address  the missing defensman  we gave up  and possible necas  pick  who could of played for us this year .     we could in theory  get carlson  and then  try our hands at stansy  , or pray we could get tavares then we would be set , but  what about the goalie problems ????

10 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

we are not getting vancouvers  pick when there are defense men still there to pick  ,  they would be out of their minds to trade that pick for hanifin ,    edmonton  might be willing to do it ,  but  at that spot we would not be getting an ideal player  that makes the team any time soon  maybe 2 or 3 years out .   tom dundon has stated that he wants  to change the culture  NOW , and we are pretty much done with  rebuilding the team , we either make the playoffs next year or it was all for not and last time i checked ,  tom is not a patient man .   

in order to get vancouvers pick  we would have to give up  our 2nd round pick this year ,  noah hanifin ,  necas  , and our 4th round pick from arizona  this year , that is way to much to sacrifice   and who would we be getting back ? oliver is a talented kid  no doubt but he needs a few more years to develop his game  before making it to the nhl .   it might help us in the long run but  that would be another year of missing the playoffs if we dont address  the missing defensman  we gave up  and possible necas  pick  who could of played for us this year .     we could in theory  get carlson  and then  try our hands at stansy  , or pray we could get tavares then we would be set , but  what about the goalie problems ????

Have to disagree on the various prices and returns up there. 

When I listen and read trade proposals I see Hanifin as garnering a lot of respect. We tend to run him down, but from what I've heard, he is a desired commodity. Hanifin was the #5 pick and now more than NHL ready with a big upside. The price would be the #7 pick plus. Not the other way around. 

As to winning now, I get that, but the idea on here it seems is that we would not be that much worse off with Hanifin gone (I don't necessarily agree BTW). And while I'm as big of a win now guy as anyone, the idea of adding two elite forwards on entry deals in one year? Too good to pass up. We'd be loaded up front for years, and remember we still have Bean and McKeown in the pipeline on D.  Plus, IF a deal for Hanifin included the #7 plus a veteran forward? Admittedly, that is not likely because we'd want a top forward and they wouldn't move one plus the pick. 

This is why I tried to leave it vague and it's only a foggy outline of a dream. But the idea of picking again high in the round has appeal. 

9 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

in order to get vancouvers pick  we would have to give up  our 2nd round pick this year ,  noah hanifin ,  necas  , and our 4th round pick from arizona  this year

Was just about to respond to this piece, but Rem beat me to it. No way we need to add to Hanifin if we want the #7.

I'd still be hesitant to trade away a "known" young D-man that's at least showing signs of improving year-over-year though. We've been sold on "can't-miss" and "elite upside" forwards in the past with mixed results. I'd rather try to move Faulk and see what progression we can get from Noah.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

Was just about to respond to this piece, but Rem beat me to it. No way we need to add to Hanifin if we want the #7.

I'd still be hesitant to trade away a "known" young D-man that's at least showing signs of improving year-over-year though. We've been sold on "can't-miss" and "elite upside" forwards in the past with mixed results. I'd rather try to move Faulk and see what progression we can get from Noah.

noah  is a highly skilled offensive defenseman  , he has puck skills , and the year he was drafted  he slid to the canes  not because teams were going after the best player  but because of team needs .  so let that sink in ...   if a team  knew we were shopping  around hanifin  they would try to pry him off of us to not give us as much return value as possible ,  and given who our freaking gm is  do i need to  show the history of don waddell on what he did for the thrashers as their gm ?  im looking at a perspective  from what his brain would think is a good idea vs bad idea and it was my mistake of not telling you all this  .    ideally if we had a better gm  sure we could maybe get thatcher demko   their 1st round pick for hanifin    but  do i have to ask you all if you think  waddell  is the kind of gm that could pull that trade off now ?   

24 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

ideally if we had a better gm  sure we could maybe get thatcher demko   their 1st round pick for hanifin    but  do i have to ask you all if you think  waddell  is the kind of gm that could pull that trade off now ?   

I'm not suggesting he could necessarily make that trade happen, but it seems pretty obvious to everyone involved that offering the #7 straight-up for Hanifin will not be enough. As you mention, Hanifin slid due to other teams desiring highly-skilled forwards. He hasn't progressed quite as quickly as other D-men in his draft class, but he's far from a bust. He definitely has value and the various rumors/speculation pieces regarding other teams' potential interest show that.

Teams obviously want to trade away less "value" than what they perceive is coming back to them, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Vancouver GM floated the idea of Noah for #7 to see if Waddell bites. I just have a hard time believing he would take that deal, let alone add pieces to it from our side.

17 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

offering the #7 straight-up for Hanifin will not be enough.

That depends whether Noah is re-signed. He's about to go RFA in a month. We got Darling prior to his free agency for a 3rd round pick. The #7 overall for Noah, if we have not yet re-signed him and don't want to, would be more than fair.

Edited by top-shelf-1

On 6/2/2018 at 5:04 PM, Canesfanforever said:

okay here is the question ,   I've been thinking about this since the week after we won the lottery  and came to the conclusion of who the canes would pick , 

so the question .   Andrei Svechnikov  wears the number 14   , i think for his world juniors  he wore number 7  ,   we already have players that use those numbers with Williams and Ryan ,   are we keeping williams  cause it really did seem like Brind'amour was really high on him staying with the canes . ? or are we more than likely letting Ryan go ? Cause I want to see  svechnikov  use the number he wants to use  but i dont know if he will be able to , i have not seen him use another number other than 14 or 7 .   what do you guys think ? 

How about we throw a sweater to the rook. Tell him to take a look at the number on the back and then tell him to make that number famous.