The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

How about we throw a sweater to the rook. Tell him to take a look at the number on the back and then tell him to make that number famous.

I understand where you are coming from  but some players  tend to  embrace the number  kinda like  ovi , crosby ,  so on and so on ,   it's a part of them .  maybe you might not understand  this but it plays a huge aspect as to who they are .   you strip that away from a player  are they likely to perform at their best ? sometimes not .   it's a psychological  thing .  you wouldn't say that to Gordie Howe , Mario Lemieux or  Wayne  Gretzky for the teams they played for   or better yet to Ron Francis when he came back to  play for the canes back in the late 90's  or Rod Brind'Amour  in the early  2000's  now would you ?     The respect  has to be established  for a player  that shows promising  talent .  player moral is very important  to a team and to the player  themselves .   just some food for thought . 

15 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

you wouldn't say that to Gordie Howe , Mario Lemieux or  Wayne  Gretzky for the teams they played for 

Howe -

"Many people may not know that my first number with the Red Wings was No. 17 until early into my first season. The No. 9 became available and it was offered to me. We travelled by train back then, and guys with higher numbers got the top bunk on the sleeper car. No. 9 meant I got a lower berth on the train, which was much nicer than crawling into the top bunk."

Lemieux -

It was inevitable that Lemieux would be compared with Wayne Gretzky, the greatest player of his day. Lemieux chose to wear number 66, a modest reference to Gretzky's 99.

Gretzky -

It was with the Greyhounds that Gretzky first wore the number 99 on his jersey. He originally wanted to wear number 9—for his hockey hero Gordie Howe—but it was already being worn by teammate Brian Gualazzi.

Numbers are meaningless to everybody but fans. Any pro who is psychologically fragile enough to let the number on his back affect his play is one I don't want on my roster. 

30 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Numbers are meaningless to everybody but fans. Any pro who is psychologically fragile enough to let the number on his back affect his play is one I don't want on my roster. 

then you would be giving up a lot of talent  that takes pride in the number they wear .  it's  symbolizes something special  for them .

i wouldn't say they would be  " fragile  enough to let the  number  on their back affect their play "  so much , it might hinder it a tiny bit , but any owner would  want to most out of your players and not to hinder them in any way .  

For example Connor Mcdavid  wears number 97  because 1997 was the year he was born  and he liked the last two digits of that year so he wore them .   so are you saying you would be willing to hinder connor even if it  was by a tiny smudge ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

I'm glad McDavid was able to get his number 97. I would hate to see his talent wasted having to wear #59 and ending up as successful as Chad LaRose.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I totally agree with you and many others who've posted on this inane subject. While numbers may have significance to a player, if that is a psychologic barrier to play on the ice, that psyche is too fragile to be successful in the long run. I'd just be curious if you polled 100 players and asked if the number they wore affected their play, how many would affirm it did? I'll be glad when the draft gets closer so we can stop talking of this foolishness.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I totally agree with you and many others who've posted on this inane subject. While numbers may have significance to a player, if that is a psychologic barrier to play on the ice, that psyche is too fragile to be successful in the long run. I'd just be curious if you polled 100 players and asked if the number they wore affected their play, how many would affirm it did? I'll be glad when the draft gets closer so we can stop talking of this foolishness.

it might be foolish to some  but i know it does play a role  in their persona .   

7 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

it might be foolish to some  but i know it does play a role  in their persona .   

Spoken like someone who has never played any. Sport. At. All.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

but any owner would  want to most out of your players and not to hinder them in any way .

If, as an owner, I found myself losing sleep over whether a player's number would affect his play, I would have to hope that I also immediately recognize that my organization deserves a better owner than myself.

12 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

i played hockey back in the mid 90's .  but please , go on  assuming things without knowledge  .

Okay. Your number was important to you, and you're projecting that onto people with far more talent who make millions of dollars and wouldn't care if they had a picture of Marvin the Martian on their backs. 

Any other requests??

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Okay. Your number was important to you, and you're projecting that onto people with far more talent who make millions of dollars and wouldn't care if they had a picture of Marvin the Martian on their backs. 

Any other requests??

im not projecting anything when it is a fact ,  to you it's nothing , but to some players it's everything  in what represents them just like the last name on their back .   what im suggesting  is to not write it off because if  so and so player wore the number of their choice  within given reason , they could maybe put more effort into what ever they did ,  there are plenty of books on the psychology of sports that agree with me on this , dont just take my word on it  , hear what others have to say too  that know a lot more than i do on what these psychologist    have  to say on the subject .  all im for  is that we should not   run into a hang nail  , when we dont have to .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

8 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

im not projecting anything when it is a fact ,  to you it's nothing , but to some players it's everything  in what represents them just like the last name on their back .   what im suggesting  is to not write it off because if  so and so player wore the number of their choice  within given reason , they could maybe put more effort into what ever they did ,  there are plenty of books on the psychology of sports that agree with me on this , dont just take my word on it  , hear what others have to say too  that know a lot more than i do on what these psychologist    have  to say on the subject .  all im for  is that we should not   run into a hang nail  , when we dont have to .  

Please cite these psychologists' writings. Then (assuming they exist) ask them whether being that concerned about one's number - to the point that it affects their play enough to make a damned bit of difference - isn't also indicative of psychological fragility. 

Hence, my originally-stated aversion to having them on my roster. The importance of confidence to success in any sport is hard to overstate. If the number on his back is important enough that it could affect his confidence and I'm fool enough to sign him, I deserve exactly what I'll get: bat *edit* craziness in my dressing room.

Basing anything on a number seems a little shallow to me.  And THATS a FACT....... to me.   LOL

image.png.273237aba8a7ec73c32d867bb0782920.png

7 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

"He Hate Me" was never the same when he went to Carolina (Panthers) and became "Smart."

true.   But World B. Free     still was at    the top of his game for    years when he changed  his name to World.

but he didn't changE his Uni number so it probablY doesn't apply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hag65 said:

true.   But World B. Free     still was at    the top of his game for    years when he changed  his name to World.

but he didn't changE his Uni number so it probablY doesn't apply.

One is too small a sample size.  How did Metta World Peace do after he changed his name?

• Like 1