The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Musta missed that. Yet... strangely... I feel like I didn't miss a thing...

I vaguely remember the XFL but never watched.  I don't feel like i missed much either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I have absolutely no clue what you guys are talking about.

Two legitimate NBA stars who legally changed their names.

Lloyd Free ------>  World B. Free

Ron Artest ------>  Metta World Peace

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Two legitimate NBA stars who legally changed their names.

Lloyd Free ------>  World B. Free

Ron Artest ------>  Metta World Peace

Don't forget in the NFL, Chad Johnson --> Chad Ochocinco --> Chad Johnson

This was kind of the point of bringing up the nickname thing.  Chad Ochocinco legally changed to that name to (sort of) match his number, 85.

I agree the number or nickname shouldn't matter.  But some of these guys seem to be a bit fixated on it.

Anyone remember Lew Alcindor?  Well Im old fart .  Just dont call me Shirley.

image.png.16fa27ec947f6c9230f57502fb54482b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

I agree the number or nickname shouldn't matter.  But some of these guys seem to be a bit fixated on it.

Jágr wears the number 68, which he has worn through his entire career, in honour of the Prague Springthat occurred in Czechoslovakia in 1968 and his grandfather, who died while in prison that same year,

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/sports/football/alliance-of-american-football.html

Supposedly another shot at NFL competition on the horizon. You'd think with all that money there would be room for a successful second league. Yet somehow they always seem to fail.

OK not NHL draft talk, but hey nothing happening in the draft right now.

Nice! Just saw this online and came here to share but Rem beat me to it.

Man, they keep these guys busy. The combine just ended in Buffalo. I think the top 4 or 5 prospects were just in Ottawa. They were at game #4 of the SC Final last night. Now he’s here...

Let’s just get this done already.

Edited by Kyrule

20 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I bet Brindy can't wait to get that kid in the gym

Rodd  can't wait to get everyone in the gym .  Everyone that remains on the roster after the  " big shake up  "  

Wow. 

Just saw an article from the News and Observer about Svechnikov and the Canes getting to know each other.

Apparently Svechnikov and Dundon had dinner at a Sushi restaurant.

Now this was a quote from Dundon apparently:

”If we pick 2nd, it is not even close.”

He also did a promotional video shoot.

The Hurricanes also asked him to confirm the spelling of “Hurricanes” in Cyrillic.

Welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes family Andrei Svechnikov.

?????

Oh, there is also an article from WRAL or whatever that includes an interview with Svechnikov talking about what he can bring to the Canes (namely physicality).

My favorite answer was to the question “what is your goal when you get here?”

AS: ”To win the Stanley Cup.”

”Nothing else?”

AS: ”Nothing else.”

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Wow. 

Just saw an article from the News and Observer about Svechnikov and the Canes getting to know each other.

Apparently Svechnikov and Dundon had dinner at a Sushi restaurant.

Now this was a quote from Dundon apparently:

”If we pick 2nd, it is not even close.”

He also did a promotional video shoot.

The Hurricanes also asked him to confirm the spelling of “Hurricanes” in Cyrillic.

Welcome to the Carolina Hurricanes family Andrei Svechnikov.

?????

Oh, there is also an article from WRAL or whatever that includes an interview with Svechnikov talking about what he can bring to the Canes (namely physicality).

My favorite answer was to the question “what is your goal when you get here?”

AS: ”To win the Stanley Cup.”

”Nothing else?”

AS: ”Nothing else.”

i want to see this video ,  im so happy ! 

So there have been rumors of us trading Hanifin or Skinner for a top pick. Why would we do that? I put some thoughts on the other thread, but to wit, the reason to me would be Oliver Wahlstrom. To land Svech and Walhstrom in the same draft to go with Aho and TT would set us up for years. Also, both Svech and Wahsltrom have size and an edge. Maybe not as edgy as Tkachuk, but also with more skill. 

In my mind the "can't miss" forwards in this draft (yes no one is can't miss, but just making a point about skill level), are Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, and Wahlstrom. This is actually a pretty deep forward draft, and if as part of a package we get say the #12 pick, we can find a guy there that could be great, but those guys are the cream of the crop.

Just to wet the appetite on Wahlstrom, who was my guy to "trade up for pipe dream" for this year before the glorious ping pong balls landed us Svech, here are a couple of scouts:

“He’s strong, doesn’t get tossed around, sticks his nose in there and when he skates he looks like [Buffalo Sabres center] Jack Eichel,” - U.S. national junior team coach Bob Motzko

Wahlstrom is a flashy puck wizard who creates offensive chances almost casually…can dance around the ice with the puck on a string, making filthy dekes…he moves around the ice with an effortless, yet powerful, stride that generates plenty of speed…starts and stops on the puck…impressive lateral quickness for his size make him elusive…possesses strong instincts and vision on the ice…makes some skilled passes that put his teammates in prime scoring opportunities, sometimes to their surprise…patient with the puck…loves to shoot the puck and has a rifle of a shot with a surprisingly tricky release…strong on his feet and willing to play in greasy areas of the ice…can be a load to handle when he gets moving…can be relentless in his offensive efforts…protects the puck well using his reach and body position…physical game is there in flashes…when he is engaged he is tenacious and viscous on the forecheck and relentless in his puck pursuit…has some impressive offensive upside at the next level but needs to show he wants it before he’ll reach it - Future Considerations

Natural goal scorer - A threat whenever he’s on the ice. Great anticipation & hockey sense - ISS Hockey

39 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

There's a little something here from ABC11, including him talking without that interpreter.

http://abc11.com/sports/abc11-talks-to-canes-likely-top-pick/3571329/

at the end he said " this place is great , and  he thinks he should play here " !!!!  WELCOME TO THE CAROLINA HURRICANES ANDREI SVECHNIKOV !!!!!

Just to add to Krule, both Chip and Luke are calling Svech the Canes' presumptive first round pick and talking a lot like it's a done deal. Of course the actors in the play keep saying "if" we use the pick, which I'm hoping is boilerplate, but at least the idea that we're looking at Zadina to play with Necas (or Tkachuk) is probably off the table.