The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

Sorry I don’t know how to post links from my phone, but I just did a search for Carolina Hurricanes and both articles came up. The interview with Svechnikov looks like it was done in Canes locker room and is 7 minutes long. It is different from the one posted above.

If someone could post the links I would appreciate it.

Edited by Kyrule

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

Just to add to Krule, both Chip and Luke are calling Svech the Canes' presumptive first round pick and talking a lot like it's a done deal. Of course the actors in the play keep saying "if" we use the pick, which I'm hoping is boilerplate, but at least the idea that we're looking at Zadina to play with Necas (or Tkachuk) is probably off the table. 

it's a safe bet that  who the top 7 prospects  in this years draft is loaded with talent  that will  do well in the nhl  ,  after that  it's anyone's guess how the talent will turn out .  im not sold on zadina early on in his career  like a lot of people seem to be  because of  one key issue  ,  he plays in the qmjhl .  a league that is notorious for having bad goalies and even worst defense played there .  and im not saying top talent cant  come from there  because  that would be foolish to say .  all im saying is the goal scorers over there tend to have inflated numbers because  how it is more likely to score in that league   compared to the average of the ohl or whl  .  it's just a statistical fact .  how ever top of the line goalies that come from there are something to look at .   that's just my thoughts on the league .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

it's a safe bet that  who the top 7 prospects  in this years draft is loaded with talent  that will  do well in the nhl  ,  after that  it's anyone's guess how the talent will turn out .  im not sold on zadina early on in his career  like a lot of people seem to be  because of  one key issue  ,  he plays in the qmjhl .  a league that is notorious for having bad goalies and even worst defense played there .  and im not saying top talent cant  come from there  because  that would be foolish to say .  all im saying is the goal scorers over there tend to have inflated numbers because  how it is more likely to score in that league   compared to the average of the ohl or whl  .  it's just a statistical fact .  how ever top of the line goalies that come from there are something to look at .   that's just my thoughts on the league .  

Zadina looked amazing at the World Juniors though. He was underaged and just had his way. I love that we are getting Svech, who I like better overall, but I'd take Zadina next if I were picking #3.

I don't necessarily think we would be looking for another first round draft pick to use it. If we trade Hanifin, Skinner or Faulk ahead of the draft and part of the return in a first round draft pick it would give us time to shop that pick. There are players out there we probable want and the cost might include a high draft pick. Having two first round picks in the top ten allows you to use one and swap the other. I have no idea if that is what we are thinking but it is a plausible tactic.

Not having any history on Dundon or Waddell since Atlanta it is anyone's guess what we will do. It is becoming clear we want to do something.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Can't you just put this under the draft topic?

why ? this is separate from that ,   as far as im concerned Svechnikov is already on the team .   written in stone .   so the question is slated  career wise  who will turn out more points for the canes ? 

19 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

why ? this is separate from that ,   as far as im concerned Svechnikov is already on the team .   written in stone .   so the question is slated  career wise  who will turn out more points for the canes ? 

Staal

I was pondering about our 2nd round surprise pick of a Scandinavian player that we have had going for that couple of years.

Any wild guesses on who that could be this year?

Im thinking   David Gustafsson C from Sweden.  Ranking is lower because hasnt put up many points because he plays in Sweden's top league.  Unlike many of the prospects from Sweden (Dahlin excluded). David is 6'2 and 195 already. Does well in the faceoff circle.  He won 50% in the men's league (just turned 18, 2 months ago).  Won over 70% in the U18 world championship tourney.   

from Doober prospects: "Defensively reliable two-way center with untapped offensive upside"  Sounds like our kind of Scandinavian pick. 

Of course we can go off the reservation and choose one of the many defenders that are rated at our pick.

3rd rounder- we dont have one but an overager like Nick Armedia might be good pick.  He went from 20 points in the WHL to 98 this season.  he is already 19.  

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I was pondering about our 2nd round surprise pick of a Scandinavian player that we have had going for that couple of years.

Any wild guesses on who that could be this year?

Im thinking   David Gustafsson C from Sweden.  Ranking is lower because hasnt put up many points because he plays in Sweden's top league.  Unlike many of the prospects from Sweden (Dahlin excluded). David is 6'2 and 195 already. Does well in the faceodd circle.  He won 50% in the men's league (just turned 18 2 months ago).  Won over 70% in the U18 world championship tourney.   

from Doober prospects: "Defensively reliable two-way center with untapped offensive upside"  Sounds like our kind of Scandinavian pick. 

Of course we can go off the reservation and choose one of the many defenders 

3rd rounder- we dont have one but an overager like Nick Armedia might be good pick.  He went from 20 points in the WHL to 98 this season.  he is already 19.  

There are a few goalies that will either slide in the 2nd round or possible the  4th round .

I think it would be best suited for the Canes to look at these young prospects that show  enough skill that could make an impact for the canes much like Cam Ward once did.

Jakub Skarek ,  Lucas Dostal ,  and the first two for  North American  goalies are who we should go take a look at  for a 2nd round pick . 

( I could not see the list among North American goalies  on The NHL  web site  due to a page being down )

the big news out of the draft-sphere right now is centers may become more heavily favored than before.  Top 2 are the same BUT....

Montreal taking C Kotkaniemi

Senators taking D Hughes at 4 (Karlsson's replacement)

Arizona taking C Hayton or LW Whalstrom

Detroit taking LW Whalstrom or Boqvist

Guess who is available at 7 just in time for a Hanifin for the number 7 swap?  Zadina!

We'd be a stupidly young team, that would make a bunch of mistakes but could also score 7 Goals on a given night.  

Montreal may try to trade down to get Kotkaniemi but they seem like a lock to select him.

Edited by gocanes0506

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

the big news out of the draft-sphere right now is centers may become more heavily favored than before.  Top 2 are the same BUT....

Montreal taking C Kotkaniemi

Senators taking D Hughes at 4 (Karlsson's replacement)

Arizona taking C Hayton or LW Whalstrom

Detroit taking LW Whalstrom or Boqvist

Guess who is available at 7 just in time for a Hanifin for the number 7 swap?  Zadina!

We'd be a stupidly young team, that would make a bunch of mistakes but could also score 7 Goals on a given night.  

Montreal may try to trade down to get Kotkaniemi but they seem like a lock to select him.

Funny how mock drafters tend to be a bit lemming-like. I've seen this shift too. I don't know if any solid rumors were coming out of Montreal, or if it was just one guy and then everyone jumped on, but I've seen the Kotkaniemi to Montreal thing too. They could probably trade down and get him in theory, but that often proves more difficult than it looks. This would be a massive jump jump for Kotkaniemi. When I compiled my compilation of the last scouting rankings, Kotkaniemi came out at #19. Even 19 to 8 (trade down for MTL) would be a reach.

One mock I just saw has Montreal trading with Chicago and getting Kotkaniemi at #8. This would make much more sense to me. 

The good news is that almost everyone has fallen off the Canes going with Zadina just because he played with Necas at the world junior and has us locked onto Svech like we should be.

I will say it again, and it may be a bit controversial on here, but if we could get to #7 ( some deal including Hanifin for the #7), we could grab another elite player. I've made no secret that I think Oliver Whalstrom is a seriously talented goal scorer. This is a potential 30 goal plus guy. He's 6'1", does a lot of things well, and is a stone cold sniper. I think he's 50-50 to be NHL ready, but even if we had to wait a year, holy cow Batman, what a studded line up we'd have for years to come. Seriously nuts. 

So get Pacioretty, maybe sign a second tier UFA, to get us through a year or two. Then? 

Svechnikov, Necas, Aho, Teuravainen, Whalstrom, Jordan (eventually third line?), Lindholm, Foegele, Zykov (or Gauthier, or Kuokannen, or whoever steps up). 

Svech is a potential 80 point guy or more. Necas 65-70, Aho 70, TT 65, Whalstrom 65, Lindy could break out as could any number of our many quality yutes. 

I've even seen mock drafts where Tkachuk falls to #7. Seriously? Svech and Tkachuk? Welcome to Vancouver Noah Hanifin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Whalstrom

This is either

1) an amalgam of Wallmark and Nordstrom

2) another Committee ploy to draw in relocated Whale fans

3) Rem showing his age, or

4) We've made a deal I don't know about. i.e., I'm showing my age.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is either

1) an amalgam of Wallmark and Nordstrom

2) another Committee ploy to draw in relocated Whale fans

3) Rem showing his age, or

4) We've made a deal I don't know about. i.e., I'm showing my age.

Or, all of the above!

I love posting here, but I hate trying to spell all these dang names. Why can't every hockey player just be Jones or Smith? 

Oliver Wahlstrom

That's my boy. 

• Like 1

Haha rem, reading that made me think, "the stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that The 2018 Draft Gods soon would be there"!!!

Zadina said he would love to play for Montreal but stated “but they are going to draft a center or a defenseman.”

That’s what kicked off the speculation.

Montreal hasn’t refuted it, and has been pretty quiet regarding their plans. What Montreal will do is the hot topic of the draft because picks 1 and 2 are considered done.