The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

28 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Zadina said he would love to play for Montreal but stated “but they are going to draft a center or a defenseman.”

That’s what kicked off the speculation.

Montreal hasn’t refuted it, and has been pretty quiet regarding their plans. What Montreal will do is the hot topic of the draft because picks 1 and 2 are considered done.

Good point Kyrule. It's also high speculation because it's Montreal. In part because of who they are and in part because their GM has made a few, uh, questionable moves. I have to think if they go that way they are planning on trading down. But what do they do if they can't pull that off? Still step up and reach for a center? Maybe.

The early morning team on XM reported Bergevin evidently has no problems taking Kotkaniemi at #3 and is pretty much locked in on him.  They also said that the teams picking after Montreal will go defense likely pushing Zadina down the draft board a bit.

That would make trading Hanifin for the #7 or possibly even #10 pick plus, very tempting potentially.

If it goes Dahlin, Svech, Kotkaniemi, D, D, D, then Zadina would be there at #7, which is simply mind blowing to me. But even if Zadina goes and 2 D men, then Tkachuk would be there at #7. And there definitely are scenarios where 4-9 are Zadina, D, Tkachuk, D, D, D, leaving Wahlstrom at #10, and the Oilers have said they'd trade #10.

Hanifin to Edmonton for #10 and Talbot (if Wahlstrom or Tkachuk is there). 

Canes get Svech and Wahlstrom, and a goalie. Just spit ballin' here, but to me that would be amazing.

If by some magical chance  where Zadina slid down  where the Canes could trade  a player for the pick to get him .  I know Zadina would need a year in development  not psychically  but for his defensive side to his game  .  There were reporters asking Zadinas coach a month ago if Zadina would be psychically ready for the NHL  and his coach said  "  Psychically  ready yes . but  defensively  ready   no   He would need more time . "    If you think back how long it took Jeff Skinner to  be capable to play the defense side of the game it took him literally 3 or 4 years .  Now I'm  not saying that Zadina would take that long since he is a bit bigger in height than Jeff  Skinner  , but the road a player of his stature  would take  some time to gain the weight  for his frame   and then to add in that ability to play both sides of the  rink for being Dubbed as a Two way forward .   I can only  guess it would maybe take him a year and a half  at most  for him to better his game in that aspect .    

Edited by Canesfanforever

All the recent draft reports have stated that Svech is very close to Dahlin's level and there a decent gap between him and Zadina.  

The more talk about how close Svech is to Dahlin has me concerned about Buffalo taking him.  

22 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The more talk about how close Svech is to Dahlin has me concerned about Buffalo taking him.

Wonder if there are any talks between the Canes and Sabres management about what one or the other might do, or if that is something that regularly happens before drafts. I feel like the Canes need this really bad and it would kill morale if this happens. Trade up to ensure that pick? 

9 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Wonder if there are any talks between the Canes and Sabres management about what one or the other might do, or if that is something that regularly happens before drafts. I feel like the Canes need this really bad and it would kill morale if this happens. Trade up to ensure that pick? 

I dont think the juice is worth the squeeze of moving up.

If for some crazy reason Dahlin doesnt go first, we do 2 things:

A. Call Vancouver about a Hanifin for the 7th OA to get Tkachuk or Wahlstrom (both should be there, according to recent mocks) and draft Dahlin.  Would need to keep Skinner at that point.

B. See who is willing to overpay for the number 2 and fall no lower than 7th.  

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

LOL, I'm not worried at all, the Sabres fans will burn down the KeyBank center if they don't take Dahlin.  It's their biggest area of need. 

Defense is a high need, I agree.  Their need for offense is pretty high as well. The wingers they have playing with Eichel arent the greatest 1st line forwards, especially with Kane gone. I think they were rolling Pominville and Reinhart out with him after the deadline.

2018-19 Preparation Checklist

Draft Svech

Get a top 4.5 (average of top 3/6 see what I did there?) forward (preferably a C)

Get a real starting goalie

Accomplish these things management, and the Feeder family is happy. I don't care if Mr. Mcgoo is at the helm. It will give me confidence that we at least have a chance for the dance.

If for some reason, the sabres took Svech, dundon & Waddell should literally sprint up to the podium to take Dahlin.  Then go back to the table and trade 2 current dmen for offensive help

• Like 5

From everything I've read, as a prospect Dahlin is the defensive equivalent of McDavid, a likely generational talent.  Sabres aren't passing on him, and if they do and we wanted a high impact forward, we could offer up Hanifin or even Slavin for an established young scoring forward.  Or, if we wanted to flip Dahlin I'd wager there's no shortage of teams that would give up a young star for him.  Couldn't see that happening, though; would you have traded McDavid before he played an NHL game, regardless of positional need?

25 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Go to their boards and you will understand.

I know, right?

I periodically snoop to see if there is any talk/argument whatsoever where someone is trying to convince the crowd that they should take Svech instead of Dahlin and it literally doesn't exist.  They are so sold on this that there would be riots if they go a different way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

LOL, I'm not worried at all, the Sabres fans will burn down the KeyBank center if they don't take Dahlin.  It's their biggest area of need. 

I agree but they are used to fires.  

• Like 2

Been watching far too many draft shows and blogs and mocks. Initially I was focusing my efforts around #12 or so since it seemed that was our lot. But since winning the #2 slot (so huge!) I've been focusing entirely in the top 10. 

Dahlin is hailed as the savior of this draft with a universal chorus.  It's to the point where it's totally unanimous and many respected analysts go so far as to say its done, its over, there is zero question that Buffalo is taking Dahlin. If they don't, it would arguably be a bigger surprise than if Edmonton went up and picked Eichel over McDavid. The praise for this kid stops just short of Bobby Orr, and that might be coming.

I am of the opinion that this was one of the best years ever to be at #2 if your team needs a forward because most years, Svech would be the #1 pick. The angels singing over the head of Dahlin have drawn attention from how good Svech is.

But that said, watching highlight reels of Dahlin? Yeah, if Buffalo commits Hari Kari and goes up and picks Svech. Well don't throw us into that there Dahlin brier patch. While I don't love the idea of having to find a forward another team is willing to trade for say Hanifin, Dahlin could be the best conciliation prize in the history of sports. 

We really can't lose at #2 by taking the BPA. The way we lose is if Waddel and a guy who has done it before (Rick Dudley) try to get fancy and overthink this and get bamboozled out of just taking the BPA. After Svech there is a drop off in the eliteness certainty index (trademark pending). Tkachuk may not have super high end talent. Zadina isn't very strong and may not be an all around guy. etc. 

One thing years of analyzing the canes has shown, is that you need at least one legit superstar and as we send Faulk and Hanifin to the 4 straight All Star games, this is not totally fixed (Aho not withstanding). There are two players in this draft with a the clear highest likelihood of super elite talent. All we have to do is take one of them as is our right. It's that simple. Do not trade one 5th grader for three first graders and we will be good. (The other thing that years of analyzing the Canes has shown is that you at least need an average at best goalie, but I digress).

18 hours ago, cc said:

Non Stress Q and A.  Is ANYONE goin to the fricken draft party?

Ill be there. Trying to get some idea on parking availability?

As of 6:14am today, I’m scheduled to be there as well.  In addition to street parking, there are a couple of parking decks on Glenwood South.  I believe the closest deck to The Beer Garden is the one beside The Carolina Ale House.  I recommend the deck, as it’s a Friday night on Glenwood, and street parking fills up fast.

Bob Duff over on Hockeybuzz has a really neat article on Andrei's brother, Evgeny. If I were computer literate, I'd import it here for all to peruse. In part, it says that Evgeny is going to give little brother much advise on play in NHL. Wonder if there would be any trade Detroit would be interested in that could bring Evgeny here? Doubt, but that'd be unbelievable?