The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

Kaut drafted at #16. 

So Necas went #12 last year. Zadina went #6 this year. 

All three guys on that line drafted in the first round within the top 17.

Pretty impressive, especially considering that they came from the Czech Republic ?? (no slight intended).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Would you guys be in favor of making a play for Orpik? This team could definitely use some sandpaper....

It will be a COLE day in hockey hell before Orpik is welcome in Raleigh

• Like 6

Pretty clear Washington had zero interest in trading within the division. I can completely understand why, but it sucks for us since Grubauer was one of the top options out there (probably THE top option in my opinion).

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

4836EC91-C819-4E2B-B5A2-24924157DD41.jpeg

Well it is somehow easier to take knowing we made a real run at him. But now we still need to check that box.

Just now, Stealth-ch1 said:

Pretty clear Washington had zero interest in trading within the division. I can completely understand why, but it sucks for us since Grubauer was one of the top options out there (probably THE top option in my opinion).

I was wondering if we might try to make a followup deal with the AVs, Guess not

4 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Would you guys be in favor of making a play for Orpik? This team could definitely use some sandpaper....

There aren't enough L's available to properly describe the amount of HELLLLLLLLLLLL no in my answer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

As they should be.  Let's trade Skinner a 30 goal scorer for a one day maybe NHL player.  Let's trade Hanifin and Faulk 2 top 4 dmen for a maybe one day NHL player.  I for one am relieved we are not unloading our NHL players for future assets.

Agree as to Faulk and Hanifin. If Skinner has let it be known he’s not going to resign, we would be trading 1 year of Skinner for a very highly regarded player who would come in a year or 2 from now on an entry level contract. But there is also Skinner’s NMC, which he might not have waived for Vancouver. Edmonton maybe, because they have offensive players that could make him look good in his contract year. No way Edmonton could afford Skinner under the cap after next year. 

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

It will be a COLE day in hockey hell before Orpik is welcome in Raleigh

What he did to Cole is precisely why you should want him on your team instead of an opposing team...and BTW he’s a damn good hockey player! He was terrific for the Caps in the playoffs this year. Do you want to win or do you want to continue the Lady Byng approach that has netted 0 playoff appearances in 9 years?

1 minute ago, RickD_99 said:

What he did to Cole is precisely why you should want him on your team instead of an opposing team...and BTW he’s a damn good hockey player! He was terrific for the Caps in the playoffs this year. Do you want to win or do you want to continue the Lady Byng approach that has netted 0 playoff appearances in 9 years?

You didn't ask if we  would want a tough, hard hitting player you asked if we would want Orpik. I answered honestly. No, never. Some things as a fan you don;t forget and that hit is one of them.

I don’t know if the canes can take a chance on another backup who is not yet a proven #1 goalie.  Tried last year and the experiment failed miserably.  I really hope the Canes somehow get a true starter with no question marks...

There should be a limit as to how many people are on the stage for the draftee to have to shake hands with.  Poor Kupari is probably going to have to break out the Bengay after that mess.

3 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

I don’t know if the canes can take a chance on another backup who is not yet a proven #1 goalie.  Tried last year and the experiment failed miserably.  I really hope the Canes somehow get a true starter with no question marks...

Hello Carter Hutton !  would you like to play for the canes ?

1 minute ago, iceman11 said:

And who might that be???

For me, this is the same sort of argument that was made when we were looking for a head coach. Experienced candidates that are "proven" aren't generally available unless there's some sort of question mark. Bad contract, off-ice issues or an underwhelming year, there's always something.

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hello Carter Hutton !  would you like to play for the canes ?

I'm not strongly opposed to this but I don't see it as all that different from rolling the dice on another up-and-coming backup looking for their shot as a #1. Doesn't meet the criteria for those looking for a "proven starter".

Look, we obviously have to do something and at this point we're rolling the dice on someone either way. I just would've felt more comfortable with Grubauer. That ship has sailed though, so I'll likely get on board and support whoever the committee lands on.

Luke said Kovalchuk is holding up the Skinner market. DW said Skinny “won’t get traded here, if at all” supposedly not close on a deal because of the offers.

Edited by gocanes0506

Luke also quoted Waddell on a Skinner trade at the draft

While there were reports that a Skinner deal was close Friday, the Hurricanes remain frustrated with the stagnant trade market.

“Not close,” Waddell said. “It won't happen here, if it ever happens.

5 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

I'm not strongly opposed to this but I don't see it as all that different from rolling the dice on another up-and-coming backup looking for their shot as a #1. Doesn't meet the criteria for those looking for a "proven starter".

And he's 32.  On the off chance he's the real deal, we should get all of maybe 2 seasons out of him before he starts fielding membership offers from AARP.

• Like 1