The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

Well guys, I hate to play a "Debby Downer" role, but if not for Svech, this draft would be a total bust. Starting with the party at the Raleigh Beer Garden, which was the crappiest planned I could imagine, and do not even get me started there, I am completely underwhelmed. Don't know what I anticipated, but between a new, invigorating owner, a coach that I think will right the motivational ship, and the constant hints at trades which as yet have materialized, I'm bummed. As these next miserable weeks stretch out, I certainly hope something will come up to continue the uplift I experienced when we over came the odds in moving into the 2OA spot. JUST GET US A DAMN GOALIE, for gosh sake.

In case no one noticed, Jaccob Slavin's brother Josiah was drafted by the Blackhawks in the 7th round (Pick #193). 6'3" 189lb LW.

We picked JACOB KUCHARSKI (goalie) with Pick #197.

20 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

In case no one noticed, Jaccob Slavin's brother Josiah was drafted by the Blackhawks in the 7th round (Pick #193). 6'3" 189lb LW.

We picked JACOB KUCHARSKI (goalie) with Pick #197.

Totally slipped past me.  Part of me wonders had Josiah slipped 4 spots, would the Hurricanes have taken him?  On the other hand though, i feel it's a sound philosophy to take a goaltender in every draft, even if it's in later rounds, because you never know.

• Like 2

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

Yea we did get Frederick Anderson in the 7th then he said nah because of the Ward extension.

I was thinking about that when i was typing that!  But had he signed, it would have been a steal.  And even though it didn't happen, it was a low-risk/high-reward pick - it's not like the Canes passed on any other sure things in order to pick him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Totally slipped past me.  Part of me wonders had Josiah slipped 4 spots, would the Hurricanes have taken him?  On the other hand though, i feel it's a sound philosophy to take a goaltender in every draft, even if it's in later rounds, because you never know.

True. I mean, he could be the next Henrik Lundqvist.(#205; 7th round)

Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has signed forward Andrei Svechnikov to a three-year, entry-level contract. The deal will pay Svechnikov $832,500 on the NHL level or $70,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level for all three seasons. He will receive a signing bonus of $277,500.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I put it in the other thread: since when does a 2OA not sign a rookie max deal?

Two words - signing bonus.

Jack Drury has looked pretty decent during the Summer Showcase games. He scored the game winner yesterday for Team USA against Finland. Nice wrist shot put the Americans up 2-1 late in the third. Not sure how much skill he has but he is definitely a high-motor/effort gamer. Seems like a smart hockey player, and he looks/plays like a center should. He’s also used on the PK.

Jack Hughes looks like a video game come to life with the way he moves around.

Quinn Hughes (D-man taken by Vancouver at #7 overall) looks good.

Man, both Hughes brothers look so small out there, but the way they can move and skate is ridiculous.

Edited by Kyrule