The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

Nice!!!

About time. We needed this.

If we don't go #1, it looks like it will be Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk.

Edited by Kyrule

This is phenomenal!!!! Holy cow! I'm at work so you guys aren't messing with me are you?!!!

We will get an elite talent.

1 minute ago, remkin said:

This is phenomenal!!!! Holy cow! I'm at work so you guys aren't messing with me are you?!!!

We will get an elite talent.

Nope: https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-hurricanes-montreal-canadiens-buffalo-sabres-have-top-three-picks-in-nhl-draft/c-298316882?tid=277764372

Elite? Maybe. Impactful, definitely.

Fantastic!

Now IF we wanted number 1 overall and got the 3rd pick - we may be in a position to make a trade (player/prospect) and our number 3 pick to move up to 1st for less than an arm and leg.  IF we feel number 1 is worth it over number 3.

Lots of options now, AND if the team with the number 1 still felt they could get what they wanted at #3 we'd both be happy.

Edited by one-timer

The consensus #1 is Rasmus Dahlin stud defensman. Interesting if we get #1. Trading down could be a move.

If we get #2 or #3 there are potentially elite forwards there. In a weird way it would almost be easier to get #2 or #3 and not have to worry about it.

Necas was amazing at World Juniors, but he was eclipsed by his teammate Filip Zadina, who is a year younger. We could have two dynamic countrymen duos: The Finns: Aho/TT and The Czecs: Zedina/Necas.

Andrei Svechinkov is oozing with talent too.

There is no way #1 pick gets moved by whoever gets it.  

If the canes get get first pick, it will open the door wide open to move some of the current D men to get the offensive help they need. 

9 minutes ago, one-timer said:

Fantastic!

Now IF we wanted number 1 overall and got the 3rd pick - we may be in a position to make a trade (player/prospect) and our number 3 pick to move up to 1st for less than an arm and leg.  IF we feel number 1 is worth it over number 3.

Lots of options now, AND if the team with the number 1 still felt they could get what they wanted at #3 we'd both be happy.

From everything I hear, Dahlin is the defensive equivalent of McDavid.  Can't see anyone trading the 1 overall spot this year for anything less than a massive overpayment. 

13 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

There is no way #1 pick gets moved by whoever gets it.  

If the canes get get first pick, it will open the door wide open to move some of the current D men to get the offensive help they need. 

The only thing with that is that you end up having to make that trade of say Hanifn for a guy, and you don't end up getting a guy as elite as we need up front such as Zedina or Svechnikov back.

The supposed return for trading the #1 pick is huge. Using the graph we've seen by our own Tlusky, moving from #1 to #3 should also net the #8 pick. And dropping to #5 gets you the #5 AND #6 pick. Or could be you move to #3 for a proven player, say a goalie.

So if we got #1 and #3 wanted a D man, in theory we'd get Zadina AND the #8 pick. (Of course the team has to have both picks, but that's the theory). Anyways no team has the #3 and #8 pick so it would have to be for a player.

Still, we'd have to find an overpayment, and most likely we do what you're suggesting and try to offload some D men for forwards. It's just been hard to do and you don't usually get that elite guy.

Oh and it would be a nice problem to have. Still, I'd like to see Zedina or Svechnikov personally, and if we could get another guy too? Tempting.

Oh man, so Edmonton's been greasing Bettman's palm all this time huh?

New owner and we pick in the top 3 and I'm supposed to believe that it's all legit? lol

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1