The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

1 minute ago, legend-1 said:

Oh man, so Edmonton's been greasing Bettman's palm all this time huh?

New owner and we pick in the top 3 and I'm supposed to believe that it's all legit? lol

Yeah, just what we need to confirm it's all fixed, right? ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, remkin said:

The only thing with that is that you end up having to make that trade of say Hanifn for a guy, and you don't end up getting a guy as elite as we need up front such as Zedina or Svechnikov back.

The supposed return for trading the #1 pick is huge. Using the graph we've seen by our own Tlusky, moving from #1 to #3 should also net the #8 pick. And dropping to #5 gets you the #5 AND #6 pick. Or could be you move to #3 for a proven player, say a goalie.

So if we got #1 and #3 wanted a D man, in theory we'd get Zadina AND the #8 pick. (Of course the team has to have both picks, but that's the theory). Anyways no team has the #3 and #8 pick so it would have to be for a player.

Still, we'd have to find an overpayment, and most likely we do what you're suggesting and try to offload some D men for forwards. It's just been hard to do and you don't usually get that elite guy.

Oh and it would be a nice problem to have. Still, I'd like to see Zedina or Svechnikov personally, and if we could get another guy too? Tempting.

11 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Dahlin is a beast.  No need to consider anything if you get him.  No-brainer.  Make the pick and move on.  

Figure the rest out later....

From everything I read, Dahlin is a generational defensive prospect, closer to "Connor McDavid" level than "Austin Matthews" or "Nico Hischier" level.  As in, if Hanifin+ can't get you the level of offensive talent you desire, you'd almost have to consider moving Slavin before trading Dahlin.  And I know how that sounds, Slavin is almost untouchable imo.

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

From everything I read, Dahlin is a generational defensive prospect, closer to "Connor McDavid" level than "Austin Matthews" or "Nico Hischier" level.  As in, if Hanifin+ can't get you the level of offensive talent you desire, you'd almost have to consider moving Slavin before trading Dahlin.  And I know how that sounds, Slavin is almost untouchable imo.

Sounds like a can't pass on guy. I've just been researching forwards. I guess we'll see.

29 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Dahlin is a beast.  No need to consider anything if you get him.  No-brainer.  Make the pick and move on.  

Figure the rest out later....

This.

That's why I said Necas could be a factor in taking Zadina if we are not #1.

After Dahlin, Svechnikov has been in the #2 spot pretty much since the beginning of the year. Zadina has also been in the top 3 or 4 all year. Tkachuk is the one who has moved up and who still varies the most, which is why I would prefer Svechnikov or Zadina if we don't get Dahlin......and I have an old Winnipeg Jets Tkachuk jersey I had made. 

If Bicks hadn't scored in the SO vs Philly last year to get us the W, we'd have been picking #2 2 years in a row!

Great pick position for us and another reason to shout with a voice of disdain Not the SLUGS

• Like 1