The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

6 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If the Canes don't run up and pick Svechnikov it will be a major malfunction. 

Wouldn't be the first Russian sniper Waddell's drafted if he lasts in the big seat that long.

Yeah.  This is the kind of thing the Canes needed.  Lift the back cloud away that feels like has been hovering.

finally something positive to generate some buzz

Craig Button: "A huge jump up to the second-overall selection should see the Carolina Hurricanes land winger Andrew Svechnikov. The Barrie Colts winger has a blend of skill, sense, power and drive that reminds me in style of Marian Hossa. Svechnikov is a factor in all areas of the game and will be in the NHL next season."

Don't mess this up...add Svechnikov , & Necas to our forward group...Finally a good break for the Canes!

Compare him to Ovie, Malkin, Hossa...I don't care canes need goal scoring!!!

Edited by rocheccw

Yeah Zedina is going to be very good, but Svechnikov is pretty hard to beat. 

And with Necas likely coming in next year, and Svechnickov likely NHL ready, and maybe a move, getting good.

20 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I guess I am still in shock to be quite honest.  It's almost as if a huge weight has just been lifted off of this teams shoulders with this turn of events...

Well, I for one hope this lifts the "huge weight" off your shoulders as well, bd58.

More from Waddell

"You know who's probably going at one, so you can really plan for who you really want to take if you keep the pick," Hurricanes interim general manager Don Waddell said on a conference call. "The value of an 11th pick is good. The value of a No. 2 pick is great. It gives us an opportunity to look at a lot of different options."

"This changes [our strategy] 100 percent," Waddell said.

1 hour ago, rocheccw said:

After watching Ovie score a bazillion goals on the canes it be nice to have a natural sniper in a Canes jersey!

The Russian youth system emphasizes scoring the puck, no doubt about it. Zykov's season shooting percentage in CLT was insane at 29.5. You can't do that without two things: crazy accuracy and a really sick release. Things could be very good on the right side, right out of the gate next season.

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word

After watching some highlights last night, there is no question Svechnikov is the guy.  He's big, good skater and can score.  That ticks off every need we have, except stopping pucks of course.

• Like 1

• The Hockey gods finally give us a break. Svechnikov gives us so many options.  He gives us scoring from the RW, improves our break away speed, could help on the PP and may be an option for OT and shoot out sessions. He gives us the option to move Aho and Necas to the center slots which change the landscape of our entire center line up. The addition of Svechnikov also opens up trade possibilities of who we can now afford to trade now. I can't see the Slugs not picking Dahlin (god this kid can skate and is an elite D man). What if Buffalo makes a bone headed move and doesn't take Dahlin and takes  the Russian? Do we automatically take Dahlin? Do we swap with Montreal for something more and take Zadina? I prefer to just keep it simple and not make it more complicated that it is. Simple pick, no shenanigans. Don't screw this up!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Don't screw this up...

...for us, Buffalo!

I can't imagine, given the goal-scoring ability of Eichel and ROR (and others) and the goals their Swiss-cheese defense allows, they have much choice but to take Dahlin. Still, we could help ensure they leave Svechnikov alone by offering them our Justin Faulk (career -.228 per game) to go with their Justin Falk (career -.219 per game). They'd instantly have that rarest of NHL assets: a memorable third pair.

• Like 2

Playing devil's advocate, should the Canes package a deal with the #2 to try and bring in a legitimate NOT OVER THE HILL #1C?

While having a legitimate sniper at winger is a need, the team could address a major need that has been lacking.

The Sabres are taking Dahlin.  No need to even worry about it.  It would be like the oilers passing on McDavid the year he was the lock for #1.  

You really think you need to give Sabres something to make sure they take Dahlin?  Are you guys going crazy?

If for some reason sabes get stupid, Canes take Dahlin and that is that. 

6 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

The Sabres are taking Dahlin.  No need to even worry about it.  It would be like the oilers passing on McDavid the year he was the lock for #1.  

You really think you need to give Sabres something to make sure they take Dahlin?  Are you guys going crazy?

If for some reason sabes get stupid, Canes take Dahlin and that is that. 

Dude, it's the Sabres. Whose GM (at the time) actually told the press he was disappointed they got Eichel instead of McJesus.

That said, it's more their defensive need that I'm interested in. Great chance to get Faulk up outta here.

14 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

Playing devil's advocate, should the Canes package a deal with the #2 to try and bring in a legitimate NOT OVER THE HILL #1C?

While having a legitimate sniper at winger is a need, the team could address a major need that has been lacking.

Speaking purely for myself, I think we already have our 1C in Aho. He may still be a year or two from dominant status, and I'm hoping his off-season orders were to eat a ton of pasta and confine himself to the weight room. But with enough firepower on his wings he's going to be a very special playmaker in this league for a long time. Our need at RW has been so glaring for so long, and now we've potentially got two, in Zykov and Svechnikov. And more in the pipeline.

Unless moving this pick brings back a top-five #1 NHL keeper no older than 30, I hope we keep it and take Svechnikov.

So I was starting to do some investigating of the forwards likely to be picked at #11-12, since we had a 90% chance of picking there. Clearly who cares about that now!

Watching some film and reading on Dahlin I see what the fuss is about. I agree that Buffalo has a 99% chance of taking him, and frankly, if they don't we will, so not worried about that. Never quite seen a guy on defense weave through people like they were pylons.

In a weird way, I think we may end up better at #2. I know that's a bit controversial but we need an elite forward more than an elite D man right now. I mentioned trading down, because it might get us a haul, but it would be very hard to do. We've also mentioned picking Dahlin and trading some D men, but that doesn't always work out and you don't always get value.

Here's the thing about that. You have to find a guy you want that the trading team is willing to give up, and then have that guy outperform what the trading team expected. That is a higher bar to overcome than drafting the best consensus forward in a draft. Looking at the most elite players in the league, they are overwhelmingly playing for the team that drafted them. It's sort of the same with UFA's. Most of the best players end up getting extensions with their current teams and never hit UFA. And the teams that did not sign the guys that make it to UFA tend to come out ahead of the teams that sign them (as superdave has shown us).

So you get your elite players BY DRAFTING THEM.

So Waddell has me a bit nervous with his talk. He is already signaling that he is willing to trade this pick. Don't get me wrong, I get it, it's a game. He wants to put it out there in case someone wants to go into massive overpay mode to get Svechnikov. Every year GMs at the top hint that they'd be open to a trade, hoping to get some sort of massively one-sided deal. And it never happens. Hopefully that's what we're looking at when Waddell says, "if you keep the pick", and "..opportunity to look at a lot of different options", and "assess the value of the #2 overall pick in a trade".

Sure, if we can trade down, one spot and pick up a key player, and then draft Zadina, fine. But to trade that pick for a player would mean trading for an elite existing 1C that is still quite young. Not going to happen. I guess if Montreal wants to trade us Paciorrety and the #3 for the #2, fine, but really, you get your elite player BY PICKING him in the draft and short of some sort of massive overpay, we better just step up there and make the pick. Nothing fancy.

The talk from Waddell is possibly where the idiot DeCock got his idea(s) from? Saying that after Dahlin, the next 2-7 guys are"about the same". Then intimating we should trade down!! I'll vow this, if the brain committee goes down that path and gives up the 1st top 1-2 draft position we've had in forever, I'm done with this team. I agree with rem here, the only way to get a productive 1C is to grow them from your own system, which means you've got to draft them. What GM in their right mind would give that up? As far as a "good" goalie, that's a crap shoot at best, because we've all seen a great goalie or prospect one year, completely lose it the next, with very few exceptions(thinking Brodeur or Lundqvist here). The same goes for a goalie also, which team will give up one thats dependable?

Don"t know about the rest of you on here, but I'm still pinching myself today to make sure I did not just dream that the Canes moved up to the number 2 position in the draft?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Why do I have the feeling the Canes will take Zadina...

The Canes can’t afford to mess this up.  They have been thrown the good fortune of a lifeline in the lottery.  The #2 pick has made things much easier this offseason.  

This is is the chance RF never was able to get.  Imagine if they would’ve won the lottery and got Laine how much quicker the rebuild would’ve been

OK my post kind of went to making the pick vs messing with trading it.

Assuming we make the pick and assuming Dahlin goes #1. And after watching some film on the guys considered top 3-4 for forwards, and reading some scouting reports, I have to say that this pick needs to be Svechnikov. And we need to get that guy, not make a trade. Get a game changer with 100 point potential. Just get that guy.

He basically does everything except play center. He literally checks every single box. He is a deadly sniper. His shooting percentage is nuts, but this is not luck he is picking corners and has a quick, hard shot. He scores from all over the ice, not just one favorite spot. He shoots from outside, makes moves inside, gets to the net, all of it with pure sniping. He's physical and wins puck battles. He is a strong, smooth skater with great balance. He has a strong stride that can get past D men. He actually plays defense! He makes sweet passes. He has high hockey IQ. He has good size. He has proven, off the charts scoring chops in the OHL (vs Zadina's Q where scoring is inflated). This is the guy.

Zadina does a lot of what Svech does, but does not check as many boxes. He is not a great skater. The one thing he probably does better is stickhandling, but that is not knocking Svech's stickhandling, only that Zadina is a wizard type. Zadina was not ranked at the tippy top until he dominated Worlds. But he only had one assist there, he was pure sniping (a lot off of Necas' set ups). Svech has remained 1 or 2 in most rankings steadily. In fact before Dahlin just broke the speed of light, Svech was #1 in many rankings.

Tkachuk. I wanted us to trade up to get his brother, but I am more weary of him (as a top 2 pick). I would take him in the 4 slot, but I think there is more risk to him as a big part of his game is physicality. I want raw, off the charts skill, and Svech, who is also physical, has him beat there. The tantalizing thing about Tkachuk is that he is increasingly touted as a prototypical NHL 1C that will play both ways and wear out the other guys. He had 8 goals in 40 games at BU and 31 points. Jack Eichel put up 26 goals and 71 points in the same number of games.

Oliver Wahlstrom. This guy can score. He is blood and guts and plays all three zones. He is a shoot first guy. This is the guy I was holding out hopes we could trade up for. But that was then. This is now. Our reality has changed and he is not Svechnikov.

To be honest, if someone blew us away with a deal to move down to 5-6 and one of these guys was there, it would still be pretty dang awesome. Say Arizona offered the #5 pick and Antti Raanta. We could pick say Wahlstrom and fix goalie. Maybe. But I just think keep it simple pick the elite guy.

Elite is elite and Svechnikov is that guy. I disagree with Luke that the next 5 guys are the same. Svech is better. Get the best forward you can. And that is Svech. Baring a crazy, too good to pass deal that still lets us draft and get one of those guys above, just step up and pick this guy. We have other top talent on the team and coming up. Aho, TT, Necas and Svech could all be All Stars. For a team that has needed elite forwards for years, this team will have elite forwards for years......if you just pick Svech.