The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

8 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Its a no brainer 

This guy is like the next ovechkin or kucherov. Is anybody in their right mind going to pass on this?

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

...for us, Buffalo!

I can't imagine, given the goal-scoring ability of Eichel and ROR (and others) and the goals their Swiss-cheese defense allows, they have much choice but to take Dahlin. Still, we could help ensure they leave Svechnikov alone by offering them our Justin Faulk (career -.228 per game) to go with their Justin Falk (career -.219 per game). They'd instantly have that rarest of NHL assets: a memorable third pair.

I agree that the Slugs need the D and it would be a boneheaded move to not take Dahlin. On the other hand we are talking about the Slugs. Love what I see in Svechnikov and since we hear about Russians everyday we might as well add one.

• Like 5

The only way to get the elite talent is usually to draft #1 or #2.

After the first 2 picks, there is usually a drop off.  

Canes need to take the Russian. 

After that, there is a drop off.  Could end up picking a player like Lindholm, who I like, but is not the elite scorer the Canes need.

do not use the #2 pick to fix the goalie situation.  That can be fixed using different assets.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

If the Canes don't run up and pick Svechnikov it will be a major malfunction. 

It is a no brainer. Until I see him on stage with a Hurricanes sweater on, there is always a chance for shenanigans to off set the gift of the hockey gods. It would truly be the biggest kick to the cods if we don't keep it simple and just pick him, no negotiations required here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Sabres were the lowest scoring team in NHL this season.  They were 3rd worst for GA.  Not a sure thing they'll take Dahlin.

If for some reason Buffalo takes Svechnikov:

two scenarios I entertain:

See if we could get Patches from Montreal for them to move up one to take Dahlin.  We should have to add a prospect to the deal but a much lower cost than before. Add a big body like Tkachuk to go with Patches would be exciting.  So would adding a dynamic player like Necas that Necas has chemistry with already.

take Dahlin and see what we can get for Bean + in a deal and for Hanifin.  Put Pesce with Dahlin and we definitely have a good defense for a long time.

Edited by gocanes0506

2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

It is a no brainer. Until I see him on stage with a Hurricanes sweater on, there is always a chance for shenanigans to off set the gift of the hockey gods. It would truly be the biggest kick to the cods if we don't keep it simple and just pick him, no negotiations required here.

Unless someone offered us Barkov or something of that sort.

15 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Sabres were the lowest scoring team in NHL this season.  They were 3rd worst for GA.  Not a sure thing they'll take Dahlin.

Buffalo’s boards have changed the title of their Draft thread to include “Welcome Dahlin!” so the fans at least think it’s a sure thing...lol

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Buffalo’s boards have changed the title of their Draft thread to include “Welcome Dahlin!” so the fans at least think it’s a sure thing...lol

Still dreaming after such a gift last night.  Why not....they're Buffalo.

Random thought.  Tommy had a little discipline yesterday to not be the representative.  We've seen owners at the draft lottery before.

Wise to stay a bit low for a bit.  Just keeps the chatter down.

So, we have the opportunity to get an elite scorer. Does this mean we can put Darling back in the net? If we score 8 goals a game, no worries if he lets in  7 ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red_Storm said:

Maybe we should change ours to "Welcome Svechnikov!" for the same reason.

Hockey Writers article suggests trading the pick for Tavares could be a option. Of course would have to be a sign and trade.

Same article links an interesting comparison of advanced stats between Svech and Zadina:

So clear advantage Svech.

Not going to lie, him being a Russian makes me nervous.  They seem to be a different breed and real hit or miss.  Not in terms of skill but in terms of if they flee to the KHL or not.

I don’t see where trading the #2 for Tavares makes sense. 11th-13th picks, sure, I could buy that.  

I think this pick changes our offseason focus, as Waddell mentioned.  We go from worrying about top end center to getting legit wingers to surround our 3 centers with.

33 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Not going to lie, him being a Russian makes me nervous.  They seem to be a different breed and real hit or miss.  Not in terms of skill but in terms of if they flee to the KHL or not.

He's been in North America for 2 years now.  I think most of the Russian players that bolt play don't play their junior careers in NA.  I think adjusting to the smaller ice at such an early age shows their commitment to NHL brass.

20 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

He's been in North America for 2 years now.  I think most of the Russian players that bolt play don't play their junior careers in NA.  I think adjusting to the smaller ice at such an early age shows their commitment to NHL brass.

I agree.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

PK beat me to it. He’s playing in Canada. He wants to be here, I think.

For those that don't know, Svechnikov's brother (Evgeny) is in the Red Wings organization (drafted 19th overall in 2015). He has underperformed to this point but he is also young. 

One YouTube guy that does hockey prospect analysis said that he is not worried about Andrei going back to Russia on his own, but rather he would be concerned if his brother doesn't make the NHL and goes to the KHL.

Even then, I seriously doubt Andrei would give up his dream to go back to Russia to be with his brother.

Of course as I write this I see there was an article on the Red Wings official site titled "Andrei Svechnikov dreams of playing with his brother as Red Wings."

I still don't think he would leave the NHL if successful...

Edited by Kyrule