The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

For those that don't know, Svechnikov's brother (Evgeny) is in the Red Wings organization (drafted 19th overall in 2015). He has underperformed to this point but he is also young. 

One YouTube guy that does hockey prospect analysis said that he is not worried about Andrei going back to Russia on his own, but rather he would be concerned if his brother doesn't make the NHL and goes to the KHL.

Even then, I seriously doubt Andrei would give up his dream to go back to Russia to be with his brother.

Of course as I write this I see there was an article on the Red Wings official site titled "Andrei Svechnikov dreams of playing with his brother as Red Wings."

I still don't think he would leave the NHL if successful...

The Canes have been known to go out and get a player’s brother on the team to make things happy, so there’s that...

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

The Canes have been known to go out and get a player’s brother on the team to make things happy, so there’s that...

Another Habit we need to break.

• Like 2

I think the smartest move is to keep all options open. Let it be known you aer willing to shop the number 2 pick. See what other teams are willing to give, Take notes for future deals and then walk up to the podium and take the best player available.  At the moment that appears to be Svenchnikov.

6 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I think the smartest move is to keep all options open. Let it be known you aer willing to shop the number 2 pick. See what other teams are willing to give, Take notes for future deals and then walk up to the podium and take the best player available.  At the moment that appears to be Svenchnikov.

I am okay with "keeping the options open" as long as we dont move down any farther than 4th.  

Move down to third if we got Patches back in the swap with Montreal.  Took Zadina with #3.  Zykov and Turbo play on the right side. 

Move down to 4th if we got Stone in the swap with Ottawa.  Took Tkachuk at #4.  Got a much more physical team instantly.  This makes more sense than Montreal.  We need RW.

Tavares would be a great addiiton but I am not doing a #2 for him straight up.  

We have plenty of org depth so a swap for 2 other 1st rounders doesn't make any sense.  

Keeping options open is, of course, the right position to take, but actually making a bold move here likely is not. So it does make me nervous, especially with an active owner new to hockey and no real GM, or even worse if we pick up that Boston former Toronto GM who made big moves, big bad moves.

I want us to make a move or two, but NOT with this pick. Missing out on a player like Svechnikov could be a huge mistake. We've spent years on here talking about our lack of truly elite talent and that 4 first graders don't make a 4th grader. Pittsburgh dominates yearly because they have Crosby and Malkin. The Pens could have tried something tricky like trading down 2 slots from Malkin, and drafting Andrew Ladd. Now Ladd has had a nice NHL career, he's put up 526 points, but Malkin has been dominating the league for 12 years, and multiple cups. This year at 31 he put up 98 points in 78 games and 930 career points.

Look, I like Zadina a lot. He's a sniper and handles the puck great, but I just get the feeling that Svech is super special. He was thought to be a legit #1 overall pick earlier in the season, and he has that look about him to me. You just don't get many chances to grab a guy like this. When you do, you take it and don't look back, and it changes your franchise.

And he's only available at #2 because a supernatural D man happened to be there this year. I've heard some analysts say that in the long run Svech and Dahlin might have equal impact on their teams and the NHL. I've never heard Zadina or Tkachuk given that comparison.

The other thing is that we have other assets we can use to make other moves (goalie, grizzeled vet D man, etc). We have prospects, including multiple former first rounders, and we have Faulk, and possibly Hanifin to throw out there. We don't need to get fancy with this pick.

I get that keeping options open is probably just positioning, but it still makes me nervous. I almost wish we didn't even mention being open to trades with this pick at all. Just put this one on autopilot and pick Svechnikov.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cc said:

Another Habit we need to break.

That was a Rutherford habit that hasn't reared his head even since Francis took over - Francis is actually a -1 when it comes to bringing in brothers.  It also could perhaps have been a Karmanos habit, along with his habit of bringing in former players to fill key office positions - and the new owner is actually a -1 when it comes to that.  That isn't to say bringing in someone's brother isn't a possibility, but i think we're 4 years behind the curve in calling it a Canes habit.

I don't think having brothers on the team is automatically so bad. In the case of the Staal's that went way beyond just being brothers. Both were given letters and both were given huge contracts with NTC's, and both, especially Eric, was elevated to best boy with the owner, and GM.

I bring this up because of the idea of bringing JVR in here. I don't know if JVR will be more Hossa UFA or more Loui Ericksson UFA, but to me that is the question. I would not worry about him being TVR's brother much at all. It is apples and oranges to the Staals being given the Throne to the Kingdom.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Keeping options open is, of course, the right position to take, but actually making a bold move here likely is not. So it does make me nervous, especially with an active owner new to hockey and no real GM, or even worse if we pick up that Boston former Toronto GM who made big moves, big bad moves.

I want us to make a move or two, but NOT with this pick. Missing out on a player like Svechnikov could be a huge mistake. We've spent years on here talking about our lack of truly elite talent and that 4 first graders don't make a 4th grader. Pittsburgh dominates yearly because they have Crosby and Malkin. The Pens could have tried something tricky like trading down 2 slots from Malkin, and drafting Andrew Ladd. Now Ladd has had a nice NHL career, he's put up 526 points, but Malkin has been dominating the league for 12 years, and multiple cups. This year at 31 he put up 98 points in 78 games and 930 career points.

Look, I like Zadina a lot. He's a sniper and handles the puck great, but I just get the feeling that Svech is super special. He was thought to be a legit #1 overall pick earlier in the season, and he has that look about him to me. You just don't get many chances to grab a guy like this. When you do, you take it and don't look back, and it changes your franchise.

And he's only available at #2 because a supernatural D man happened to be there this year. I've heard some analysts say that in the long run Svech and Dahlin might have equal impact on their teams and the NHL. I've never heard Zadina or Tkachuk given that comparison.

The other thing is that we have other assets we can use to make other moves (goalie, grizzeled vet D man, etc). We have prospects, including multiple former first rounders, and we have Faulk, and possibly Hanifin to throw out there. We don't need to get fancy with this pick.

I get that keeping options open is probably just positioning, but it still makes me nervous. I almost wish we didn't even mention being open to trades with this pick at all. Just put this one on autopilot and pick Svechnikov.

Yup need to draft this guy and not trade the pick.

I think the pick is locked in.  The only team Svechnikov follows on Instagram is the Hurricanes (recent following).  The means something people (I dont know what bc I dont use Instagram).

13 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think the pick is locked in.  The only team Svechnikov follows on Instagram is the Hurricanes (recent following).  The means something people (I dont know what bc I dont use Instagram).

He is probably following this too, after all he just found out where he will likely go yesterday.

WE WANT YOU SVECH!   WELCOME!!

• Like 3

Just now, remkin said:

It's your thread gocanes. If you want to change it to the Welcome Svechnikov thread, seems fine by me....

Until they choose me as the GM and I know for sure that we keep the pick, it would only lead to disappointment to change it.  Of course Buffalo could throw a curve ball at us.  

46 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Of course Buffalo could throw a curve ball at us.  

What is the good practice in the hockey world to prevent that? Can we have a gentlemen agreement having attached something tangible (say, Rask?) that they will not take Svech?

9 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

What is the good practice in the hockey world to prevent that? Can we have a gentlemen agreement having attached something tangible (say, Rask?) that they will not take Svech?

I dont think we need to give up an asset to make sure Buffalo drafts Dahlin.  If they dont, we take Dahlin and we have 2 tradeable assets of our own to make our O better.  

• Like 1

Everything I read so far says these 2 are basically on par as exceptional talent, then it falls off after them.   So you take whoever Buffalo doesn't take and be happy.

• Like 4

IMO (Which isn't much), we need someone that can play our system. I watched many highlights of SVECH and he is really good but he looks like he is used to a system that stays in the middle of the ice. We are "board huggers" and just curious what the thoughts are concerning that?

18 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

IMO (Which isn't much), we need someone that can play our system. I watched many highlights of SVECH and he is really good but he looks like he is used to a system that stays in the middle of the ice. We are "board huggers" and just curious what the thoughts are concerning that?

Over the past few months, we've gotten a new owner, lost our GM, and lost our coach.  We have no system at this time.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Getting stuck with Dahlin would not be a bad thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Depends on who the coach is, Fully expect "the system" to change with a new coach if it isn't Rod.

• Like 1

OBXer quoted:

Waddell: "We think there's a potential superstar there (with the second pick). It could really change the franchise."@MikeManiscalco asked #Canes President and Interim GM Don Waddell about winning the second pick at the draft lottery and what it means for the Hurricanes. pic.twitter.com/WdmdWtNqpl

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Until they choose me as the GM and I know for sure that we keep the pick, it would only lead to disappointment to change it.  Of course Buffalo could throw a curve ball at us.  

YES! Lets not make the hockey gods mad. We don't have him yet. Once signed, hang out the bunting!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

With his contract and recent performance, trading Rask to Buffalo would lower our expectations that they would take Dahlin instead of Svech.