The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

2018 NHL Draft

Okay Rick we’ll give you one final parting compliment about picks because the Habs pick 3rd. Now, focus on what ails us. Draft a goal scorer that shouldn’t be hard with who will be available at #2. But first find yourself a coach. Then if that coach wants his own guys behind the bench let him do that. At some point mgmt has to quit forcing Brind’Amour on every new coach that comes in. 

I am realizing that, really, we are going to have Svech here and everything else is just posturing. Of course anything can happen, but it won't.

Looking at some blogs what I see on the the other side of the argument is: "You have to keep the options open and listen to all offers." Except when you see what sort of options it would take for the "you have to keep your options open" people to pull the trade trigger, they are...well not going to happen. Saying you'd trade the pick for McDavid is like me saying I'll trade my car for your house. The only actual players worth trading the pick for will never be traded. In fact if they would be traded, I'd get very nervous that there is something pretty big they aren't telling me.

I could see trading down one notch, but really, a team is going to give us a #1 goalie and the #3 pick, for the @2 pick. Sure, that'll happen.

And trading down further for multiple lower picks? Not just no but, heck no! We've been on and on about the fact that we have nice players but need more star players, and in general most of those guys are taken at the tip top of the draft and we're finally there, and we give it up for more lower picks? I think I'd turn in my tickets if they did that.

So we pick, and unless we have the worst scouts on Earth we pick Svech and move on.

The nice thing is that our scouts don't have to spend any time of the first round.

But the really nice thing is that Svech, Necas, Aho, TT, Skinner, J, et all can be scary good pretty quick. Doesn't that sound good JT?

• Like 1

the only real concerns  id say going into this years draft is that there is no  goalies for the 1st round  , and they will likely slide late in the 2nd  round or 3rd .  we need a star goalie  but we also dont want to wait around till one comes along and gets better  .  if we can trade in the 2nd round for  something then i am all in favor of that !!!   we also have to think about who is going to be centering for the canes next season , obviously we still have jordan staal   and necas will be coming in next season , do we work with what we have or do we draft the rest all centers for this years draft in the later rounds ?   so many questions  

^ Lindholm, Aho, Rask all play center.  Personally, I think Lindholm has been better at center than RW.  What am I not seeing that keeps the coaches from making that move permanent?

Svech or bust for me. If Buffalo picks him, pick Dahlin and trade for some firepower.  Its so easy, even a idiot like me can figure it out.

Edited by ironman87
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 12:14 PM, ironman87 said:

^ Lindholm, Aho, Rask all play center.  Personally, I think Lindholm has been better at center than RW.  What am I not seeing that keeps the coaches from making that move permanent?

Svech or bust for me. If Buffalo picks him, pick Dahlin and trade for some firepower.  Its so easy, even a idiot like me can figure it out.

buffalo is going to pick  Dahlin  ,  so we are all good on that .   which leaves the canes picking Svechnikov .   in the first round obvious the canes just need to turn the phones off   until we select  Svechnikov .  after that  turn them back on id say !

54 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Someone posted  this in another forum, I just copied it.  VERY interesting.

prospect stats.jpg

Sooooo, what you're sayin is that we should get Svech and then go after Tavares?  ;)

That is interesting Lake, and with Svech there is no size debate either. Welcome to the Canes Andrei Svechnikov.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:36 PM, remkin said:

That is interesting Lake, and with Svech there is no size debate either. Welcome to the Canes Andrei Svechnikov.

rem, if you feel this, why propose a trade with him, for a goalie? I know we desperately need one, but I just don't think I'd trade this guy for what cane a crap shoot, no matter what the goalie's record this trade would involve. We proved that with Scott who for all the world looked like he was set to break out as a #1. Granted Darling did not have a sustained amount of numbers, but seems goalie's are just too unpredictable that I'd not give up a near "sure thing". 

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

rem, if you feel this, why propose a trade with him, for a goalie? I know we desperately need one, but I just don't think I'd trade this guy for what cane a crap shoot, no matter what the goalie's record this trade would involve. We proved that with Scott who for all the world looked like he was set to break out as a #1. Granted Darling did not have a sustained amount of numbers, but seems goalie's are just too unpredictable that I'd not give up a near "sure thing". 

I would not trade that pick. If we traded a pick it would be a second or later rounder if it were me. I would absolutely not trade this pick. Period. Not even for Tavares. That's why I proposed changing the draft thread to NHL Draft, Welcome Svechnikov et al.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I would not trade that pick. If we traded a pick it would be a second or later rounder if it were me. I would absolutely not trade this pick. Period. Not even for Tavares. That's why I proposed changing the draft thread to NHL Draft, Welcome Svechnikov et al.

Okay, then I misunderstood one of your posts.

I would definitely consider trading second rounder and later, but guys like Svech only go to those who draft them.

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Speed/Sniper/and goes to the net. I can watch this all day. 

Who is that #17 and how we can get him? Looks like he is with Svech as TT with Aho.

3 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

Who is that #17 and how we can get him? Looks like he is with Svech as TT with Aho.

Alexei Lipanov.  Drafted last year by the Bolts.

edit - actually there are different #17s there... sometimes it's Dmitri Sokolov... already drafted by the WIld though

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Alexei Lipanov.  Drafted last year by the Bolts.

Thank you, realmdrakkar. It was Lipanov - later I noticed his last name on the jersey.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Alexei Lipanov.  ... sometimes it's Dmitri Sokolov...

It was OHL highlights, not KHL, right? a lot of Russians... :D

So I've postulated that in some ways landing the #2 pick might be even more perfect than the #1 pick. I mentioned trading down from #1 to pick Svech at number two might be the best of all worlds, but that would have been tough to pull off.

Still, as spectacular as Dahlin is, and all heads seem to be nodding in unison that he will be the #1 pick, an argument can be made that Svech is a better pick.

And here is that argument:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-rasmus-dahlin-andrei-svechnikov-prospect-rankings-best-players-grades/1bu390eqzo3821r9va411nmkf9

Quote:

"As you can see, a strong case can be made that Svechnikov eventually will become one of league’s dominant forwards..."

Even if you don't buy the Svech over Dahlin arguement, it surely means two things to me:

We will get a dominant elite forward in Svech, who would have gone #1 many years.

We need to not trade down. We need to pick this guy.

Well, Waddell moved up a notch in my eyes. Paraphrasing, he said you always listen to trade offers, but that with the second pick, we will get a star who could be with us for many years. Even a good trade probably brings players we might have only 4 or 5 years. So it sounds like he has no intention of trading the pick. Pretty sure Svech is our guy, unless Buffalo follows the logic of the article linked in Rem’s post above and takes Svech over Dahlin (doubtful). Nothing is for sure, but Svech sure looks like he could be our Laine, elevating the team right away. Very exciting. Now, Don, figure out the goalie mess, because I have no idea who we even go after if we intend to bring in a potential #1 option to compete with or replace Darling. But that’s another thread.

I hope you're right BDCane.

That article I linked includes that estimated points per 60 list. We're not just talking nice forward, we're talking dominant elite forward. Look at that list! And Svech is #4.

As to Buffalo jumping up, I know that Dahlin would be a phenomenal guy to have handed to us, but I personally don't want to see it. I want Svech.

The idea of just trading Hanifin and or Faulk to get our forward is fine, but it is NOT going to get a dominant, elite forward (most likely) since those guys are so rarely traded. Maybe Johansen, but really the only one recently that is hard to argue was that was Larsen for Hall. But that is one deal in the past few years of trying.

Getting Dahlin though would be better than trading down from #2, which is my fear. I don't really think we will, but again, Rick Dudley liked doing it, so maybe don't let him on that committee meeting.

No, we just need to get Svech and start planning the fun.

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

Getting Dahlin though would be better than trading down from #2, which is my fear. I don't really think we will, but again, Rick Dudley liked doing it, so maybe don't let him on that committee meeting.

No, we just need to get Svech and start planning the fun.

TD is in charge of the committee.  He may not have hockey experience, but by all accounts he's a pretty bright guy.   If this opportunity is so clearly obvious to halfwits like us, I've gotta believe that Dundon recognizes it as well.  The only way we don't end up with Svech is if Slugs take him.  And the chances of that are really slim.

Edited by LakeLivin

Here's the article that chart above came from.  Posits that Svech's star potential may be on a par with Dahlin's.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nhl-draft-2018-rasmus-dahlin-andrei-svechnikov-prospect-rankings-best-players-grades/1bu390eqzo3821r9va411nmkf9

And an easier to read version of the chart (clicking on it makes it even bigger).

dahlin-svechnikov-chart-050918jpg_vyxf3k

Note that Svech's 5-on-5 goals/60 tops the list, and 5-on-5 primary points/60 is second only to McDavid.  If Waddell doesn't sprint to the podium to pick Svech he should be fired, lol.  

Edited by LakeLivin

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Here's the article that chart above came from.  Posits that Svech's star potential may be on a par with Dahlin's.

Note that Svech's 5-on-5 goals/60 tops the list, and 5-on-5 primary points/60 is second only to McDavid.  If Waddell doesn't sprint to the podium to pick Svech he should be fired, lol.  

Not a problem linking twice, though I did link to it above. But yes, that puts him in rarefied air. Given GM's tendency to prefer drafting forwards, I just get a little nervous about Buffalo taking him. But Buffalo needs D and has Jack Eichel, so hopefully not.