The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

The Bill Peters Watch

Legace's and Cam's numbers are pretty much the same with Cam getting the edge thus far.

It's time to move on from the whole lot but our luck finding goalies is so bad that I cringe at the thought of bringing in 2 goalies who can't get it together.

14 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I cringe at the thought of bringing in 2 goalies who can't get it together.

Because the two we now have, have totally gotten it together!

(Sorry legend, but if you insist on teeing it up...)

As a backup when he was in the role we wanted him in his numbers were stellar. He got thrown into the starter role because Darling choked and he did what we knew he'd do. We need a starter, we've got a backup. If you want to move on from both and let 2 goalies try to fight for the starting job in one year I'm also ok with that but there's no net to make the season stomachable at that point and with how we keep ruining goalies I think we should be looking deeper into what's causing that before it happens yet again.

I get my undies in a wad with the Cam's never been good crowd. Such as a statement that Legace was a great backup, when Cam has the same numbers.  I think we took a guy who coulda put up MAF career numbers and made him look like a sieve.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I think we took a guy who coulda put up MAF career numbers and made him look like a sieve.

I agree totally with this and I wanted (expected, in fact) Cam to be the next MAF or Marty. It didn't happen for reasons way beyond Cam's control, as you correctly point out. But I'm just soooo done with fallback positions to make seasons stomachable for fans. Even in the Cup year, a bunch of misfits came together to produce an improbable but (delectable) result. But now that we have the guy in place, I'd to see what happens with  an ownership that goes all in and lets the chips fall where they may. Hopefully it translates to regular playoff appearances, but if it's the opposite - better odds at high draft picks - that works too.

The fact that time after time Cam has been better than every other goalie brought in to replace him is enough for me to be ok with him as the back up. I completely get what Legend is saying. (I think). If Cam has ended up being better than every other goalie we've tried, trying two new ones could be even worse than what we have. Yes, as bad as it is, at least in theory it could be worse. Even Cam's save percentage for the year is ok for a back up, but factoring in how the team plays in front of him, and his record, if we had an even worse back up, we'd be vying for the #1 pick. OK, bad example, that wouldn't be so bad right about now....But I get the point.

It's going to be tough because while Darling should just be bought out, or ideally traded for a bag of chips, the one thing we absolutely cannot do is have both Cam and Darling back, and it might be tempting to keep Darling as the back up, and bring in a new guy as #1. I know that's not a great money situation, but it might not end up being much worse financially than buying Darling out and paying 2 other goalies. Then, if Darling, who has been a good back up, finds something.....I don't think I'd do that, but it might be tempting.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

Even Cam's save percentage for the year is ok for a back up, but factoring in how the team plays in front of him, and his record, if we had an even worse back up, we'd be vying for the #1 pick. OK, bad example, that wouldn't be so bad right about now....But I get the point.

Bolded is exactly my point. To me, that's preferable to (still) more of this. Plus, next year it is not going to be this team playing in front of whomever's in net. Simply by moving out Faulk, keeping Dahlbeck and bringing up McKeown, we are instantly more defensively responsible. Put TVR with Hanifin and put Noah on notice: Extend him one year at fair price, but make very clear that if he doesn't show up on D, we'll move him. And if he doesn't like it, fine. Sayonara. 

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, realmdrakkar said:

But can't buy his daughter a nice pair of pants to keep her from looking like a pauper.

Ever noticed how pastey white her upper body and face is, but her legs look "tanned" through the holes?

Edited by wscaniac

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree totally with this and I wanted (expected, in fact) Cam to be the next MAF or Marty. It didn't happen for reasons way beyond Cam's control, as you correctly point out. But I'm just soooo done with fallback positions to make seasons stomachable for fans. Even in the Cup year, a bunch of misfits came together to produce an improbable but (delectable) result. But now that we have the guy in place, I'd to see what happens with  an ownership that goes all in and lets the chips fall where they may. Hopefully it translates to regular playoff appearances, but if it's the opposite - better odds at high draft picks - that works too.

MAF career .913 sv % 2.57 GAA

Ward career .909 sv % 2.70 GAA

?

29 minutes ago, wscaniac said:

Ever noticed how pastey white her upper body and face is, but her legs look "tanned" through the holes?

Sorry, I've been tuning out the water commercials for about a year now. Too much exposure has numbed the senses.

17 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

?

Main difference between Ward and MAF is that MAF had the Penguins in front of him.

14 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

?

MAF career winning percentage: 54.7

Ward career winning percentage: 47.4

And just to reiterate, it's for reasons that have little to do with Cam.

A great coach gets his players to play above their potential.

A good coach gets his players to play up to their potential.

a bad coach can't get their players to play up to their potential. 

Darling.... Skinner...  Rask...  Faulk..

Peters is a bad coach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

MAF career winning percentage: 54.7

Ward career winning percentage: 47.4

And just to reiterate, it's for reasons that have little to do with Cam.

I thought you were saying Ward was no MAF.  I was pointing out that there isn't as much difference as most think, and probably closer if Ward hadn't been ridden like a mule

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

IMO the question isn't if Peters is a good or bad coach; it is if he is the right coach.

If he's not the right coach, he's a bad coach. I would think a good coach would be able to change his system to match his player's strengths rather than make his players adapt to a system that seems to expose their weakness.

7 hours ago, caniac6 said:

If he's not the right coach, he's a bad coach. I would think a good coach would be able to change his system to match his player's strengths rather than make his players adapt to a system that seems to expose their weakness.

Ok, I gotta ask: what player strengths do you see BP missing out on?  What system do you think would boost the production of the players we've currently got?  Canes under BP have been pretty much near the top of the league when it comes to possession stats and giving up shots. We're not so great at preventing goals or scoring them ourselves.  Given our goaltendeers save %s, galtending seems to be a big reason for the first.  I still contend that we're really short on scoring talent, but I'd be curious as to whether you see something we could be doing differently to take better advantage of the players we do have.    

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

That got an eyebrow raise out of me as well.  Especially when he threw in 'suspensions' as a variable.  Is someone going to start playing dirty?

Idk.  He sounded a little whacked-out to me.  I almost expected him to let out a psychotic giggle.

7 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Ok, I gotta ask: what player strengths do you see BP missing out on?  What system do you think would boost the production of the players we've currently got?  Canes under BP have been pretty much near the top of the league when it comes to possession stats and giving up shots. We're not so great at preventing goals or scoring them ourselves.  Given our goaltendeers save %s, galtending seems to be a big reason for the first.  I still contend that we're really short on scoring talent, but I'd be curious as to whether you see something we could be doing differently to take better advantage of the players we do have.    

When the new coach gets here we shall see.

This is what losing does to a team and and to a person at an individual level. There are “plans” alright but they include him probably not being here next year.... among others.