The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

The Bill Peters Watch

32 minutes ago, remkin said:

Thanks to Bill Peters. Time to move on. McKenzie postulated Brindamour today, but I hope not. I like Rod, but I want outside help.

Shame we can't entice Lavi back. But he's doing great things with Nashville.

Glad Mo is finally doing well in Winnipeg.

I know names like Sutter have floated around here as possible candidates we like. How about Samuelsson? He did a really good job with the Checkers last season.

29 minutes ago, hopper915 said:

How about Samuelsson? He did a really good job with the Checkers last season.

When RF hired him I thought he was the backup plan for Peters but I think that ship has sailed.

Nothing unexpected here. I express my gratitude to Bill in that he tried and worked with what he had for the most part. He made the right move for him and the best of the team and for that, I can respect.  I wish him the best. 

I am with a sense of relief in that maybe we can turn the page and get a new energy with the team. A new bench boss doesn’t solve all problems but it is a cornerstone to a new direction.

Im just catching up on news and the message board posts, but any mention of Daryl Sutter? I like Rods passion and also think he is a worthy candidate.

• Like 1

Just one thought on the process. It is assumed that Dundon just wanted to save $1.6 million or whatever it was, and that's why he played it this way, and I'm sure he did want to save that. But he only really saved it if he fired Peters and Peters sat out a year. (Did not find another job). I suppose that could have happened. I would point out though though that letting Peters find another job first did sort of let Peters leave in a pretty good way for him in that he didn't get fired.

It's possible that Dundon said, I'm probably going to fire you, but since you have the clause, use this time, go out there and see if you can find a job. If you do, you can move on without being fired. I don't know, just kicking things around a bit.

7 hours ago, hopper915 said:

I know names like Sutter have floated around here as possible candidates we like. How about Samuelsson? He did a really good job with the Checkers last season.

Further to a post i made earlier, i think... hope... we can get all of the recycling out of our heads and think about 'new to the Canes' options.  With Karmanos and Francis gone (?), hopefully it's time for new blood and to let go of the past.

BP was a class act from Day One to the end. He helped Jeff Skinner find his defensive game, which enabled him to have his two best seasons; helped Lindholm find the slot; stayed out of Jordan's way; connected Aho and TT; and along with Smith, coached the D into a core that should be solid for years. He left this team in a far better place than it was in when he found it, and will be successful wherever he ends up.  

Thanks BP, and happy trails out west--or wherever the path leads next.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 6

— The Carolina Hurricanes are hunting for a coach again, and there is at least one candidate already plenty familiar with the franchise and what it takes to win in Raleigh.

Hours after Bill Peters announced his resignation, former Hurricanes forward and current assistant coach Rod Brind'Amour confirmed to WRAL News Friday night that he is interested in the job.

"I think (Dundon) knows I'm interested," Brind'Amour said. "I told him if he's going to start looking, start with me."

4 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

current assistant coach Rod Brind'Amour confirmed to WRAL News Friday night that he is interested in the job.

No doubt Roddy wants it. A lot info in the WRAL article. We leaned Waddell will head the search and according to him there is already lots f interest from those looking for a bench job.

Whaler, that is extremely interesting and really presents a huge dilemma! On the one hand, you've got Brindy with legendary work ethic and extensive knowledge of the quirks of this present team, but very limited experience as a coach. On the other, there's Mike Vellucci, if he's interested, with years of coaching experience, knowledge of the possible future team, but limited of this one.

I've got it, CO-HEAD COACHES to match our co-captains.

• Like 4

And before I go in to work today, I also wanted to thank Bill Peters for his tenure here in North Carolina, and as Head Coach of our team. He was a gentleman at all times, and labored under a system bereft our super talent, saddled by a previous GM who left cupboards barren. Both he and his GM were left intuit boat, and both moved this ship forward, just not enough. I'll be very surprised if BP is not hugely successful at his next gig, speaking of which, if it does pan out to be Calgary, just curious why that announcement hasn't been made?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I've got it, CO-HEAD COACHES to match our co-captains.

Post of the year!!  

15 hours ago, hopper915 said:

I think there's been enough change to entice any previously wronged person to come back if we wanted them. But most of those people are too busy being successful to care.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OBXer said:

No doubt Roddy wants it. A lot info in the WRAL article. We leaned Waddell will head the search and according to him there is already lots f interest from those looking for a bench job.

I heard up to 7 so far. No idea how Brindy would do as a HC since he's never been one on a professional level but I imagine players showing up for training camp not 100% physically and mentally ready would highly regret it.

200wU8MG5NZZ.gif

• Like 5

Cost savings for Dundon he can just go ahead and fire the physical trainer, whomever the hell that is. We knew alot about Pete and I dunno new guys name after an entire season.

Edited by legend-1

It's often hard for Roddy to hide his feelings. It at least would be entertaining to watch his faces behind the bench and I'm sure he would be vocal on some of the ref's calls.

image.jpeg.f5d6c546deb0a75ed6b4d32d71d2b440.jpeg

1 hour ago, Whaler1 said:

I heard up to 7 so far. No idea how Brindy would do as a HC since he's never been one on a professional level but I imagine players showing up for training camp not 100% physically and mentally ready would highly regret it.

200wU8MG5NZZ.gif

While I like Rod and I think he'd hold the players accountable and up to his standards of preparation and playing, I'd like to see him get a year or two of HC experience at the AHL level if possible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

The pros and cons of old faces vs new blood for coach are now at war. :popcorn:

And Brindy fired the opening shot. Surprised he went public like this. It pretty much forces Dundon to hire him or let him go.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And Brindy fired the opening shot. Surprised he went public like this. It pretty much forces Dundon to hire him or let him go.

Can you blame him? When you see an opportunity, pounce on it! 

11 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Cost savings for Dundon he can just go ahead and fire the physical trainer, whomever the hell that is. We knew alot about Pete and I dunno new guys name after an entire season.

And how many man games did we lose this past season? I'll bet the number is a lot lower than previous seasons.