Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

The Bill Peters Watch

Recommended Posts

Better not be Brindy.  Will probably be Vellucci due to being the cheapest option and he is familiar with prospects and is having success in the AHL.  If it is Brindy, make him HC of the chex first.   Which it would be Darryl Sutter.  No way our new glorious owner is going to fork out the money for him giving his reputation at offering a generous salary to fix our GM situation here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm sorry, you misread a colloquialism. "Slower than molasses in January" is a favorite of mine, and it means something is moving even slower than it does under normal circumstances.

Duh, I feel so stoopid...  it wasn’t that complicated...

 

Anyway, I think we’re in violent agreement, I am not making excuses for darling being out of shape and having an awful start to the season, I really think there was a window there where he had a shot at turning it around, 12/16 Darling and the Canes beat a good Columbus team 2-1, Darling played well, two days later was the debacle in Toronto with darling hung out to dry.  Any chance his fragile ego had was dashed and the rest of the season was a waste.  After that, the team showed no confidence in front of him, the coach showed no confidence in him and ultimately he showed no confidence in himself.  

 

Maybe I’m drawing at straws here, maybe it’s just easier to say, ‘he sucks’, and let it go at that, but if he can get his mind straight, he just might be a very good goaltender.  I’d like it to be here and it was probably not going to be here as long as Peters was behind the bench.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, OBXer said:

It's interesting for me that the Flames are similar to us in situation and expectations. Peters will join a team that is already undergoing a rebuild instead of starting from scratch like he had to do in Carolina. I don't think the Flames fans expectations are any greater than ours but perhaps their not as patient as we have been asked to be. I read a little of what Peters said when he was introduced and it really sounded like the same he has said for four years here.  I doubt he will get four years to get this team in the playoffs.

 

Time for us to raise a glass of water, wish him well and move on.

Well, the coach they just fired had the Flames in the playoffs last year, and by a couple points, I think, had a better record than us this year. I’m sure Calgary expects to make the playoffs next year, and would be surprised if Peters lasts more than a season and a half without positive results. The flip side is if he operates his system in Calgary and succeeds, we’ll have a better idea of what the problem was here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MisterDobz said:

Maybe I’m drawing at straws here, maybe it’s just easier to say, ‘he sucks’, and let it go at that, but if he can get his mind straight, he just might be a very good goaltender.  I’d like it to be here and it was probably not going to be here as long as Peters was behind the bench.

I agree that saying he sucks is an over-reaction of ridiculous proportion. That CBJ game was masterful, and I have no doubt that he essentially "got drunk" on having finally arrived as an NHL #1 last summer, and that the inevitable hangover was on display much of this season.

 

Where I think we diverge is in blaming BP for what happened in Toronto. I watched that game, saw the goals he allowed. They weren't merely soft, Mr. Dobz. They were the equivalent of failing to stop beach balls. Where we agree is that by leaving him in, BP was washing his hands of him; but I see it as tough love, like a parent cutting off his kid and showing him how bad things will get if he doesn't get serious about rehabilitating himself.

 

If the alcoholism analogies here are harsh, so be it: We already know Darling has an addictive personality. If he doesn't get addicted to winning pretty damn quick, this org is going to spend $16 million and end up with nothing to show for it. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

The flip side is if he operates his system in Calgary and succeeds, we’ll have a better idea of what the problem was here.

We already know: It's goaltending. With average goaltending this year, we're still playing hockey.

 

So despite all the wishful thinking about Tavares (I too am guilty), if it's a choice between him and a bonafide #1 keeper, that's a no-brainer. If we're serious about contending every year, we need look no further than Tavares' career to know that a legit 1G trumps a legit 1C in doing so, eight days a week. Since he joined the Isles, they've made the playoffs three times--and missed six. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree that with a top 10 goalie we are 12-16pts better and no doubt its the number 1 issue at the moment.. A very close 2nd issue is the high number of low quality chance shots that find the crest of opposing goalie's... If we could score the dang puck with some consistency, we could bail a goalie out now and then...overall talent or coaches system failure I do not know, but we go through way to many droughts of scoring...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Where I think we diverge is in blaming BP for what happened in Toronto. I watched that game, saw the goals he allowed. They weren't merely soft, Mr. Dobz. They were the equivalent of failing to stop beach balls. Where we agree is that by leaving him in, BP was washing his hands of him; but I see it as tough love, like a parent cutting off his kid and showing him how bad things will get if he doesn't get serious about rehabilitating himself.

I don’t blame Peters for what happened in Toronto, I blame him for everything after that!  

 

The tough love thing hasn’t worked since 1996.  I agree that Peters washed his hands of him then and there, i think we just disagree on the usefulness of that move.  Good move at Boy’s Town maybe, but a pretty bad way to protect a $16.6 million dollar investment to a major league hockey team.

 

Here’s the proof that the tough love thing was a waste.  April 25, 2018, Peters is gone and the playoff-less Canes still own Darling and his league leading save percentage.  I can’t think of anything that could have worked out worse.

 

Of course I realize I am dealing with pure speculation here, it may have worked out this way no matter what Peters did, and the bulk of the blame for this fiasco rests firmly on Scott Darling’s bloated shoulders, but for a moment there was a chance and the direction chosen by Peters just didn’t work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happened in Toronto may or may not have been a good coaching move, but the bottom line is Darling is being paid damned good money to perform, and the next morning would have been a wonderful time for him to put on his big boy pants and show everyone what he was made of.  Worst-case scenario is that's exactly what he did, but if the only way to bring out his best is to coddle him, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing a grown man's game in the first place.  Stop a ***ing puck, indeed.

 

I have no issues with Peters' tough love with the goaltenders.  Wouldn't have minded a little more of it with the skaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MisterDobz said:

it may have worked out this way no matter what Peters did, and the bulk of the blame for this fiasco rests firmly on Scott Darling’s bloated shoulders, but for a moment there was a chance and the direction chosen by Peters just didn’t work.

But it could have. As a parent, I've been in that position, where the best thing you can do for your kid is let him hit bottom. You may say coaching isn't parenting, but yeah, it kinda is. The keeper you've been waiting all season to show #1 chops finally does; he puts up a game like CBJ--and two nights later goes out so lacking in focus that he couldn't stop a soccer ball. That may have been the point at which BP made the decision that nothing else has worked, and it was time to give embarrassment a shot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

What happened in Toronto may or may not have been a good coaching move, but the bottom line is Darling is being paid damned good money to perform, and the next morning would have been a wonderful time for him to put on his big boy pants and show everyone what he was made of.  Worst-case scenario is that's exactly what he did, but if the only way to bring out his best is to coddle him, then perhaps he shouldn't be playing a grown man's game in the first place.  Stop a ***ing puck, indeed.

 

I have no issues with Peters' tough love with the goaltenders.  Wouldn't have minded a little more of it with the skaters.

 

And we paid Cam a boat load of money and we ended up where? Or is this where we blame the D ?

Edited by winger52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...