The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

A lot of uncertainty in this off-season. A place to keep up with it and talk about next season 

1 minute ago, OBXer said:

A lot of uncertainty in this off-season. A place to keep up with it and talk about next season 

Aww c'mon...I beat you on this by 28 minutes ;)

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/24212-2018-offseason-thread/

Edited by AWACSooner

Missed by 14 points, vs 8 last year. I thought a few small changes would put us in, nope put us way out. Good luck to those that gotta figure it out.

Edited by legend-1

Tavares imo probably doesn’t have Carolina on his radar. He’s wealthy now and will become wealthier wherever he goes. He’s far enough into his career where he will sign with a team for good money and is about 75% closer to lifting a Cup than Carolina is. 

• Like 2

Do you package Lindholm with one or two others to trade?  5th year and only 16 goals last night was his first in over 20 games? Has he ever broken 20?  He’s not the finisher he was drafted to be. 

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Missed by 14 points, vs 8 last year. I thought a few small changes would put us in, nope put us way out. Good luck to those that gotta figure it out.

Well done, Canes!  You nailed the average for 2017-2018!

Since the 08-09 season, the Cane's points average is 82.9 (throwing out the shortened season).  2018 ends with 83.

GREAT JOB AT CONSISTENCY BOYS!  ENOUGH ALREADY!

This is why RF was fired.  And this is why this off-season needs to have some drama.  Drama of the variety of dramatic smart moves.  Scoreboards and big talk from Dundon won't do it.  Show us the money in team and management make up.  The status quo has not worked at all.  If anything, the team retrograded from the last 2 seasons, and that's a real problem, friends.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

My offseason priorities:

Make the top 6 a ridiculous top 6 to add consistency to balance the many rookies that will be on the squad.

1. Tavares- highly unlikely but never say never

2. Stone, Patches, etc trades to add experienced depth

3. JVR- with we have 2 LWs like him in Zykov and Skinner. Do we add a third?

turnover the bottom half of the roster. I’d expect that only McGinn and Nordy are safe in the bottom 6.  A bunch of rookies are coming to take their slots: Necas, Zykov, Wallmark, Foegele, etc

Trade Rask for a bag of pucks

I consider trading Lindholm, I was on the fence earlier but Necas looks like a for sure thing.

Let Ryan go

Consider trading Skinner for a skilled RW.

Defense is where I would go to really shake things up.

I trade Faulk and TVR’s rights

Add McKeown to the third pairing

Trade for a top 4 RHD or sign Carlson (knowing we aren’t getting Tavares)

Get a AHL RHD with experience 

Re-sign Dahlbeck

What the hell are we do with the goalie situation? I don’t see Cam as a for sure. Maybe get an experienced backup and let him, Darling, and Ned battle it out. With Raanta staying in the black hole of hockey, the options are slim to none.

Edited by gocanes0506

Step up and hire the Avalanche coach. He took them from worst in the league to the playoffs in one season.

Edited by winger52

So last year I wrote in this space that it was time for Francis to make a splash. That we needed a #1 goalie and and an elite forward. The two most basic needs were pretty straightforward: we needed to score more goals and get better goaltending, because, for one those are the teams that go to the playoffs, and those were the things we were bad at the year before (and all the years before that). Francis did make a stab at those things, but came up short. Goaltending. We all know. On the one hand Cam kept us from the basement (in the standings, we were the basement in save %). On the other hand, Cam kept us from picking in the top 5. Darling? Noone here needs to be reminded of that replay of the Eddie Lack story: Same verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse.

On scoring he did bring us Justin Williams. And that was a very good  move. JWilly is timeless in his consistency and on cue put up 50 points and just under 20 goals, and a leader. But that is a key complementary piece. We needed the real McCoy. The elite piece. Admittedly as hard as getting the goaltending, but we needed both, and got really neither. And this has been the story of the Canes since the decline of Eric Staal and Cam Ward.

So to make the point, some historical facts that are, from a statistical point of view about all one needs to know to predict our finishes.

Goaltending: Team Save percentage:

17-18: .894  31st. Dead last.

16-17: .901  21st. Yes, Cam and Taco were significantly better than Cam and Mongo.

15-16: .903  23rd.

14-15: .902  26th.

Scoring: total goals:

17-18: 228  #23

16-17: 215  #21

15-16: 198  #27

14-15: 188  #27

On the goals for, they have trended up every year, despite trading our 1C and Captain, and a relatively down year from Skinner this year. But we need to be top 15 at least, and with our goaltending, probably top 10.

So, the problem, IMO is exactly the same as it was last year. Need an elite forward to mix in with our young team, really ideally a 1C, and need a goaltender that is at least in the middle third of the league. These have proven very hard to find (for years now), but not doing it has lead to more of the same every year. For what it's worth, we have cycled a lot of coaches through here and those bad numbers go back more than 4 years. I don't think any coach would make the playoffs with that goaltending, and can we really blame the coach for goaltending?

So the new management has yet another whack that the pinata. That's what they need to find: an elite forward and a solid 1C goaltender. The rest is here and or coming up from the system. But that has been sooooo hard to do.

Organ-I-zational meetings start today.  A lot to digest and analyze and discuss.  May they be long and thorough.

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall, at the risk of being swatted, much like (I'm sure) many names in the discussion mix.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

So last year I wrote in this space that it was time for Francis to make a splash. That we needed a #1 goalie and and an elite forward. The two most basic needs were pretty straightforward: we needed to score more goals and get better goaltending, because, for one those are the teams that go to the playoffs, and those were the things we were bad at the year before (and all the years before that). Francis did make a stab at those things, but came up short. Goaltending. We all know. On the one hand Cam kept us from the basement (in the standings, we were the basement in save %). On the other hand, Cam kept us from picking in the top 5. Darling? Noone here needs to be reminded of that replay of the Eddie Lack story: Same verse, same as the first, a little bit louder and a little bit worse.

On scoring he did bring us Justin Williams. And that was a very good  move. JWilly is timeless in his consistency and on cue put up 50 points and just under 20 goals, and a leader. But that is a key complementary piece. We needed the real McCoy. The elite piece. Admittedly as hard as getting the goaltending, but we needed both, and got really neither.

So to make the point, some historical facts that are, from a statistical point of view about all one needs to know to predict our finishes.

Goaltending: Team Save percentage:

17-18: .894  31st. Dead last.

16-17: .901  21st. Yes, Cam and Eddie were significantly better than Cam and Mongo.

15-16: .903  23rd.

14-15: .902  26th.

Scoring: total goals:

17-18: 228  #23

16-17: 215  #21

15-16: 198  #27

14-15: 188  #27

On the goals for, they have trended up every year, despite trading our 1C and Captain, and a relatively down year from Skinner this year. But we need to be top 15 at least, and with our goaltending, probably top 10.

So, the problem, IMO is exactly the same as it was last year. Need an elite forward to mix in with our young team, really ideally a 1C, and need a goaltender that is at least in the middle third of the league. These have proven very hard to find, but not doing it has lead to more of the same every year. For what it's worth, we have cycled a lot of coaches through here and those bad numbers go back more than 4 years. I don't think any coach would make the playoffs with that goaltending, and it is hard to blame the coach for goaltending.

Not just the goaltending, but a lot of other factors you can lay at the coaches feet

16 minutes ago, winger52 said:

Step up and hire the Avalanche coach. He took them from worst in the league to the playoffs in on season.

Because, job done, Bednar would, in a heartbeat, give up the team he just took from worst to the playoffs in order to give himself another challenge here with us.

4 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

Organ-I-zational meetings start today.  A lot to digest and analyze and discuss.  May they be long and thorough.

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall, at the risk of being swatted, much like (I'm sure) many names in the discussion mix.

I'm sure this is a big Ohccasion.

1 minute ago, realmdrakkar said:

Because, job done, Bednar would, in a heartbeat, give up the team he just took from worst to the playoffs in order to give himself another challenge here with us.

It was more a statement for a experienced coach, rather than the last two we have had.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winger52 said:

It was more a statement for a experienced coach, rather than the last two we have had.

I hear where you're coming from but do you know Colorado is Bednar's first NHL head coaching job as well, yes?  Sometimes the only way to get experience is to get experience.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

I hear where you're coming from but do you know Colorado is Bednar's first NHL head coaching job as well, yes?  Sometimes the only way to get experience is to get experience.

He made the most of his opportunity..... our guys, not so much.

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

Not just the goaltending, but a lot of other factors you can lay at the coaches feet

Co captains was a terrible idea.  Not sure that was the coaches idea or RF's.

Edited by bluedevil58

Can they buyout Mongo? Heard they could do that with Rask but Mongo a way bigger liability. Doesn’t matter which new skaters you bring in. No way he can be on the bench or ever between the pipes next season. 

More points ramblings:

• Florida misses with 96 points.
  • St. Louis misses with 94 points.

It wasn't a good year to try to squeak in on that mythical 94 point magic number.  Early on in the season, it looked like a lower number might do the trick, maybe even a 93 or 92.  Nope.  The teams that really wanted it stepped it up and bullied out the pretenders.  Good for them.  Maybe some day our team won't pretend anymore. 

We all thought last season was a big off-season.  This off-season has to be the biggest off-season of the organization since they decided to move.  

New GM

Coaching decision

Goal tending decision

(those three alone are a huge off-season)

How do improve the O?

How do we improve the D?

How many roster slots are saved for Checker?

How much roster turnover do we see?

My one and first need:  a new coach.  Experienced?  Rookie?  Don’t know, don’t care, first thing that has to change is the attitude, break the rut that this team has been in for years.

or not...

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

More points ramblings:

• Florida misses with 96 points.
  • St. Louis misses with 94 points.

It wasn't a good year to try to squeak in on that mythical 94 point magic number.  Early on in the season, it looked like a lower number might do the trick, maybe even a 93 or 92.  Nope.  The teams that really wanted it stepped it up and bullied out the pretenders.  Good for them.  Maybe some day our team won't pretend anymore. 

If 96 is the new goal we need a serious upgrade at goal-tending and at least 1 more top 6 forwards.  My guess is two top 6 or 1 top 3 if we plan on squeezing as many checkers in the roster that deserve it.