The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

He was actually on he was actually on his cell phone and showed it to me for a second.  It all happened pretty quick, but I’m wondering if he really was making a trade. 

He also added that they never rest and have to keep trying to make changes to make the team better. Who knows?

Bon Jovi was pretty cool too.

12 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

the trade deadline only means players traded after that point can't participate in the playoffs, not that teams can't actually make trades. 

Would be nice and also make sense if the player/team in question was still in the playoffs.  

Nice podcast between Adam Gold and John Forslund: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/Radio/audio/17507838/

My highlights:

Darling stunk

Guys did not play the system, especially on D, and especially a few guys.

Co Captains was a failed experiment. Lots of huge positives for J Staal, no mention of Faulk. Draw your own conclusions.

Need to get tougher on ice.

Need new blood, even if it is just for change's sake and an even talent swap.

Don't forget Wallmark our center plans

Necas needs to be on the Canes next year, probably could have been this year. (described as 'phenom').

#1 job: fix goalie. Forslund says (remkin paraphrase) make a dang trade already. Whatever it takes. Cannot risk going with Darling. Need a guy with pedigree. Most important position and we need to stop stinking at it.

Forslund said that there has been some mention of us and Tavares. Nothing more than that, and not any suggestion we'd get him, but still....?

Like to move Rask but hard to move that contract.

Doesn't matter if coach comes before GM.

Lastly, lots of serious love for Brind'Amour as head coach from both guys. Being a bit of a skeptic, I'd just point out that both guys have a long history with Rod and would never talk him down, but it seemed like genuine votes of confidence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm coming out of my self induced hibernation to drop this nugget on you guys.  I've been reading here, and seeing a lot of angst about how TD was El Cheapo and wouldn't spend on UFA's.  He is right about not being able to fix a team in free agency.  Here are the big winners from summer before last.  Honestly pick any summer, and the results will be similar.  Take out Stamkos who wasn't really a UFA, and tell me what you think of the value.  I also threw in our own red headed step child from that summer (that we can't wait to see leave) so you can judge just how effective this can be.

These are the stats from 2017/2018

Capture.PNG.6a1fab28d585e4ed14a1d912b8c56a75.PNG

A lot of the free agents that are highly sought after are bought out soon after.  I'm not suggesting no UFA's should be signed, but I am saying it's a crap shoot.

Wow, so all those big names this past summer that got paid big put up Derek Ryan to E. Lindholm numbers for multi million long term contracts.  Might have to give RF a “well played” pat on the back for that one. 

20 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Wow, so all those big names this past summer that got paid big put up Derek Ryan to E. Lindholm numbers for multi million long term contracts.  Might have to give RF a “well played” pat on the back for that one. 

Well I would give the "well played" nod to the "play"er.  ..... LOL

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Nice podcast between Adam Gold and John Forslund: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/Radio/audio/17507838/

My highlights:

Darling stunk

Guys did not play the system, especially on D, and especially a few guys.

Co Captains was a failed experiment. Lots of huge positives for J Staal, no mention of Faulk. Draw your own conclusions.

Need to get tougher on ice.

Need new blood, even if it is just for change's sake and an even talent swap.

Don't forget Wallmark our center plans

Necas needs to be on the Canes next year, probably could have been this year. (described as 'phenom').

#1 job: fix goalie. Forslund says (remkin paraphrase) make a dang trade already. Whatever it takes. Cannot risk going with Darling. Need a guy with pedigree. Most important position and we need to stop stinking at it.

Forslund said that there has been some mention of us and Tavares. Nothing more than that, and not any suggestion we'd get him, but still....?

Like to move Rask but hard to move that contract.

Doesn't matter if coach comes before GM.

Lastly, lots of serious love for Brind'Amour as head coach from both guys. Being a bit of a skeptic, I'd just point out that both guys have a long history with Rod and would never talk him down, but it seemed like genuine votes of confidence.

My three biggest takeaways: They all are what we have discussed in the past.

(1)We need to do what ever it takes to land a true NO.1 goalie via trade... 

(2)We have the depth in the AHL and in the Jr's to package some of that talent to acquire a talent that can help the team today. We can't wait any longer. This was my biggest issue with RF.

(3). It appears that we never had buy in specifically on D and I will include the O as well from pre- season going forward. We bought in for stretches and it disappeared often. Helps explains the short win streaks and at times the breakdown in the third periods. If what Forslund communicates the players never bought into Peters system. If this is true then TD's point of doing the exit interviews was a brilliant move on his part. He went from fully supporting BP to not so much very quickly IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

My three biggest takeaways: They all are what we have discussed in the past.

(1)We need to do what ever it takes to land a true NO.1 goalie via trade... 

(2)We have the depth in the AHL and in the Jr's to package some of that talent to acquire a talent that can help the team today. We can't wait any longer. This was my biggest issue with RF.

(3). It appears that we never had buy in specifically on D and I will include the O as well from pre- season going forward. We bought in for stretches and it disappeared often. Helps explains the short win streaks and at times the breakdown in the third periods. If what Forslund communicates the players never bought into Peters system. If this is true then TD's point of doing the exit interviews was a brilliant move on his part. He went from fully supporting BP to not so much very quickly IMO.

Good point on #2. There was discussion about packaging prospects for a player. As you know, I'd been pushing for that key trade for long time too. Not sure how easy it is to package non elite prospects though. Fleury will bring a lot more now than he would have last year for instance, now that he's more developed. I do blame Francis for never making the move, but there is an advantage to letting guys show their value before trying to trade them. But he just ran out of time on that one. The point though, was also that there are only so many NHL slots, so if a guy like, say Walmark, is not going to play here, he should be moved.

#3 does help make Peters moving on easier to take. Guys stopped buying in. When that happens, time for coach to go.

I liked TD doing exit interviews. But Forslund did take a bit of a shot at exit interviews in general, saying guys can act remorseful but what do they actually do about it. What does it really mean? Still, I like the new owner trying to get as much feedback as possible. Surely shows he's doing things his way.

Kuokkannen was also mentioned as having a bit of a disappointing year in Charlotte, but still a good prospect, and Gauthier similar.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Kuokkannen was also mentioned as having a bit of a disappointing year in Charlotte, but still a good prospect, and Gauthier similar.

Some forwards take ten games to adapt to the new level of speed and physicality, others all year. More than a year, however, and you start looking like a future Chris Terry. I expect both guys will come out fast next season. They are already having an impact in the playoffs: Gauthier screened the keeper on the game-winner in Game 2, and Kouk got an assist.

22 hours ago, remkin said:

I liked TD doing exit interviews. But Forslund did take a bit of a shot at exit interviews in general, saying guys can act remorseful but what do they actually do about it. What does it really mean? Still, I like the new owner trying to get as much feedback as possible. Surely shows he's doing things his way.

Was Bill Peters present also during the exit interviews or did TD conduct the interviews alone?

Edited by RickD_99

7 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

Was Bill Peters present also during the exit interviews or did TD conduct the interviews alone?

Bill wasn't at the exit interviews. TD handled them.

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts

9. The Hurricanes have asked Ron Francis to work from home. Business is brutal sometimes, but sad it ends this way between the organization and one of its greatest players.

There is other Carolina stuff in there too including Carolina going to test the Jeff Skinner trade waters

Are we surprised? I mean how hard would a new GM be able work with a guy always criticizing him right down the hall? He will be quietly cut later as it is expected.  Hockey has way too much previous players in leadership and they have this unspoken code of how they are to be treated. If the code isn’t followed your organization is black balled.  So, TD had to follow it. 

• Like 1

This was in Friedmans' piece too:

"It’s probably Rod Brind’Amour or Mike Vellucci behind the Hurricanes’ bench."

You guys like nature?  Never seen these on the wild until I moved here.  Focus less on the Crane and more of what his friend is doing.

Screenshot_20180426-205730_Nextdoor.jpg

Edited by bluedevil58

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

RF dug his own grave.  No move at the TD was a disgrace.

I thought I read that Ron and the new owner worked together closely at the TD. And didn't he say he would do what ever was needed to make the team better? 

7 minutes ago, winger52 said:

I thought I read that Ron and the new owner worked together closely at the TD. And didn't he say he would do what ever was needed to make the team better? 

Marketing fluff.   RF was fired due to what he did or rather didn't do at the TD.  All the facts point to just that.   TD said the decision was made on a Friday which was like a day or 2 after the TD before the RF announcement was official.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Marketing fluff.   RF was fired due to what he did or rather didn't do at the TD.  All the facts point to just that.   TD said the decision was made on a Friday which was like a day or 2 after the TD before the RF announcement was official.

So I guess we can't trust anything he says. Do anything to make the team better just marketing to justify firing somebody. I guess Ron should have been jumping through hoops and kneeling to the savior.After working for the cheapskate for so many years, he should have just started burning through the checkbook. Maybe the new guy forgot to bring the checkbook. 

This is beginning to looking like a classic squirting match. The last one with Lavi left us decimated for how many years? 

I'm trying to be optimistic and am in a wait and see pattern.  We will know what we have this off season.  If no major shake ups happen and we get some bargain players once again it could be a sign this team is gearing up for a Houston relocation. 

• Like 1

I dont see where TD has boogered this thing up at all. At least not at the moment. The only way to change the culture is to knock down all the building blocks and start over. Remove all former names and safety nets for under performing employees and leave no trace of the last 9 years..As for relocating the team, that makes zero sense from the business side imo.. 75 percent of the place is full most games, even if its the visiting teams fans its still money.. Build a team that can win, and the other 25 percent will come back...Again this is just my opinion but i dont want to see much of anything next season that reminds me of the last several...