The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

7 hours ago, winger52 said:

So I guess we can't trust anything he says.

Winger, not sure what kind of business world you work in.  I happen to be in the tech world, aka "Silicon Valley" kind of companies.  The leaders of these companies have a habit of saying one thing and doing another.  (Elon Musk: "The model 3 will ship in volume in 2017"   Really means, it will dribble ship a few cars on the last day of 2017.  Etc.)

After a while, you learn to interpret the crap that spews outta their mouths.

Not saying that's right.  Just saying I've seen many "promotions" of management in my life in this silly world, and I know exactly what it means.  RF got "promoted."

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

it could be a sign this team is gearing up for a Houston relocation.  

And the Church Lady says "Isn't that special"

36 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Does BOBRO = Bobrovsky?

Yeah some upset Columbus fan proposed it on another board.  I would be all over that.  Even if he does falter come playoff time.  At least he would get us to the playoffs.

14 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

You guys like nature?  Never seen these on the wild until I moved here.  Focus less on the Crane and more of what his friend is doing.

Screenshot_20180426-205730_Nextdoor.jpg

bd58, I've looked and looked at this photo, and for the life of me can't make out that other animal beside the blue heron(not crane). Is it a muskrat? And congrats, never have seen positive thoughts from you, in this case, an appreciation of nature!! Where was it taken?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Winger, not sure what kind of business world you work in.  I happen to be in the tech world, aka "Silicon Valley" kind of companies.  The leaders of these companies have a habit of saying one thing and doing another.  (Elon Musk: "The model 3 will ship in volume in 2017"   Really means, it will dribble ship a few cars on the last day of 2017.  Etc.)

After a while, you learn to interpret the crap that spews outta their mouths.

Not saying that's right.  Just saying I've seen many "promotions" of management in my life in this silly world, and I know exactly what it means.  RF got "promoted."

Plenty of bosses, some shadier than others. But when you are the owner of a fan driven sports franchise, that has been flirting with disaster for at least 10 years, you would think some honesty to begin your tenure would go a long way. I was just saying that the difference his opening statements and subsequent actions has lead to some anxiety in the fans. Not what I would call a good start.

5 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm trying to be optimistic and am in a wait and see pattern.  We will know what we have this off season.  If no major shake ups happen and we get some bargain players once again it could be a sign this team is gearing up for a Houston relocation. 

Lets bounce this against some facts.

1. There is a no move clause (7 years, I think)

2. He held a 10 year season ticket giveaway this past year

3. Raleigh has no other pro sports team just NCAA teams to compete with entertainment dollars

4. Huston has the Rockets, and Stros

5. Raleigh has a large transient population made up of a lot of northerners from traditional hockey markets meaning other team fans filling the seat and possibly becoming fans of the Canes

6.  Some fans will still follow the team if they move.

So you are contesting he runs the team into the ground to move from a 1 sport town to a town with 2 established and loved franchises, but not before hemorrhaging money and alienating the remaining fan base.

Gotta say one of the more asinine things I have read on here.  

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

bd58, I've looked and looked at this photo, and for the life of me can't make out that other animal beside the blue heron(not crane). Is it a muskrat? And congrats, never have seen positive thoughts from you, in this case, an appreciation of nature!! Where was it taken?

This was taken in my neighborhood in Chapel Hill.  That is an Otter.

From Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts

8. Word on the team is that Carolina feels it needs some edge — that they’re too easy to play against. Jeff Skinner is one year away from unrestricted free agency, and they’re going to test his value. You know who could be interested? The Los Angeles Kings.

56 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Lets bounce this against some facts.

1. There is a no move clause (7 years, I think)

2. He held a 10 year season ticket giveaway this past year

3. Raleigh has no other pro sports team just NCAA teams to compete with entertainment dollars

4. Huston has the Rockets, and Stros

5. Raleigh has a large transient population made up of a lot of northerners from traditional hockey markets meaning other team fans filling the seat and possibly becoming fans of the Canes

6.  Some fans will still follow the team if they move.

So you are contesting he runs the team into the ground to move from a 1 sport town to a town with 2 established and loved franchises, but not before hemorrhaging money and alienating the remaining fan base.

Maybe?  Houston has 1 million more people that Raleigh.  That is a bigger market to appeal to.  Like I said, we will know what we have come off season.

We have a new owner, we have a NHL commitment to 7 years in Raleigh, why would you even speculate on the team moving to Houston. There is no foundation at this time for this kind of speculation. Why not just enjoy what we have, a NHL team in North Carolina instead of planting another unfounded speculative rumor on relocation.

From Dec Houston Press

One of the relocation targets is off of the table, though. Dallas billionaire Tom Dundon signed an agreement to purchase a majority stake in the Carolina Hurricanes last week. Part of that agreement is that the team will remain in Raleigh and not relocate (the NHL also forbids a team from relocation for seven years after the purchase of a franchise).

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I realize he can't move the franchise for 7 years.  That doesn't mean if the continue to stink it up, and draw low attendance that the team will not move after 7 years.

well get back to me on that...in about 6 years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

That can only mean one thing: You haven't read much of Fat Stacks' material yet (as we unaffectionately call BD58, based on a post much, much more asinine than the one at issue here).

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I realize he can't move the franchise for 7 years.  That doesn't mean if the continue to stink it up, and draw low attendance that the team will not move after 7 years.

So you think a businessman who by the way has already made an effort to put more buts in the stand would tank and lose money hand over fist so he could move the team? In my 40 or so years of watching sports thats not what teams do when they move, thats what they do when the owner wants to sell. To justify a move to get it approved they usually win and fudge the books so it doesnt show a profit, or at least so they can justify to the other owners that the team can not be financially competitive in their current market or complain that they have an bad stadium deal.

The Canes have a pretty good stadium deal and have shown that when winning they can fill the stands. So there is zero justification for moving the team. Its really hard to look other owners in the face and say I cant fill the building when A it happened before when the team was winning and B you miss out the playoffs for what would be 16 years. The vote for moving would be pretty low. 

Thats not even taking into account the fact that the Stars are Texas only hockey team and I would bet the Stars owner would have to be convinced that a team in Huston would help him. If not who do you think the other owners would side with, the new guy doing things differently (TD) or the Stars owner?

You must be a blast to hang out with at parties you can find the negative in everything. There is no way in hell  TD is planning a 7 year stink fest to try and move the team, its a dumb comment. Own it and lets move on.

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

So you think a businessman who by the way has already made an effort to put more buts in the stand would tank and lose money hand over fist so he could move the team? In my 40 or so years of watching sports thats not what teams do when they move, thats what they do when the owner wants to sell. To justify a move to get it approved they usually win and fudge the books so it doesnt show a profit, or at least so they can justify to the other owners that the team can not be financially competitive in their current market or complain that they have an bad stadium deal.

The Canes have a pretty good stadium deal and have shown that when winning they can fill the stands. So there is zero justification for moving the team. Its really hard to look other owners in the face and say I cant fill the building when A it happened before when the team was winning and B you miss out the playoffs for what would be 16 years. The vote for moving would be pretty low. 

Thats not even taking into account the fact that the Stars are Texas only hockey team and I would bet the Stars owner would have to be convinced that a team in Huston would help him. If not who do you think the other owners would side with, the new guy doing things differently (TD) or the Stars owner?

You must be a blast to hang out with at parties you can find the negative in everything. There is no way in hell  TD is planning a 7 year stink fest to try and move the team, its a dumb comment. Own it and lets move on.

So now you resort to personal insults?  I will be the better person and not stoop to that level.  I will now bow out of this conversation respectfully and gracefully.  I have not tolerance for Charlatans. 

Edited by bluedevil58

Aaaaaannnnd... there it is. Another carefully constructed, well-reasoned rebuttal goes unacknowledged, because that would be the gracious thing to do. Instead, the "personal insult" accusation is trotted out--though anyone paying attention can see it was the comment being criticized, not the person at all.

And you're just 35 posts in, Derailed. Divide my post count by yours and the quotient will ballpark how many times I've seen this pathology pattern play out. The question each of us must answer for ourselves is whether it's worth our time.

37 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Aaaaaannnnd... there it is. Another carefully constructed, well-reasoned rebuttal goes unacknowledged, because that would be the gracious thing to do. Instead, the "personal insult" accusation is trotted out--though anyone paying attention can see it was the comment being criticized, not the person at all.

And you're just 35 posts in, Derailed. Divide my post count by yours and the quotient will ballpark how many times I've seen this pathology pattern play out. The question each of us must answer for ourselves is whether it's worth our time.

We all just need to agree to disagree.  From this point on I will remain neutral until this off season proves otherwise.  Be it a step in the right direction or God forbid a step in the wrong direction. 

18 hours ago, winger52 said:

Plenty of bosses, some shadier than others. But when you are the owner of a fan driven sports franchise, that has been flirting with disaster for at least 10 years, you would think some honesty to begin your tenure would go a long way. I was just saying that the difference his opening statements and subsequent actions has lead to some anxiety in the fans. Not what I would call a good start.

Got it.  And I agree.  Although I know how to easily translate his nonsense, it is nonsense none the less.  We need less BS from these guys.

The flipside, however, was PK who told us to "be patient."  He was telling the truth.  Oh boy, was he ever.   We were all mad and crazy.  Not from his honesty, but from the brutal message.

So does Dundon have something brutal up his sleeve and he is blowing smoke at all of us?  So far, the actions are not matching the words (aka cheap versus money is available).  And that's a concern.

• Like 1

Herewith was a quote of QBXer's copy of Chip's Tweet... New message board isn't pulling them along...

So, Chip says Darling is playing at worlds?  Good.  Get some exercise, Scott.   Lay off the ???

And I pray for the USA team.  :facepalm2:

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

So, Chip says Darling is playing at worlds?  Good.  Get some exercise, Scott.   Lay off the ???

And I pray for the USA team.  :facepalm2:

The roster for worlds has 3 goalies if I'm not mistaken. So he might not even have a place on the bench

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

The roster for worlds has 3 goalies if I'm not mistaken. So he might not even have a place on the bench

He will be snacking out in the concourse, Copenhagen Denmark Travel Guide Itinerary-7

• Like 1