The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Is that picture from Denmark? Looks like the Smorrebrod we had there. Quite delicious. Despite that and pretty dang tasty Danishes, the Danes are all fit. Probably because they bike everywhere.

Maybe that's it. Make Darling bike everywhere.

18 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

So now you resort to personal insults?  I will be the better person and not stoop to that level.  I will now bow out of this conversation respectfully and gracefully.  I have not tolerance for Charlatans. 

Not sure what you consider a personal insult. If it was the comment about being a boor to hang out with I apologize, and am surprised anyone in 2018 would have skin so thin on the interwebs. If it was the comment about a dumb post that wasnt even close to attacking you. Anyway gotta say thats the first time I have ever been called a charlatan so you get credit for that nice move!

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Not sure what you consider a personal insult. If it was the comment about being a boor to hang out with I apologize, and am surprised anyone in 2018 would have skin so thin on the interwebs. If it was the comment about a dumb post that wasnt even close to attacking you. Anyway gotta say thats the first time I have ever been called a charlatan so you get credit for that nice move!

Just ignore him and don't try to argue down to his level.  He's worn out his welcome and refuses to leave.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Just ignore him and don't try to argue down to his level.  He's worn out his welcome and refuses to leave.  

Ban?

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Ban?

For what?  He thrives on trying to get a response.  When attacked, he plays the victim.  Just ignore.  He's sparring with a relatively newish member and I don't want to see people pushed out by this.

If I knew BD's password I would make 100 potted meat posts and the admins would ban slap him so hard he'd wind up on a soccer forum.

Lets move on from this please.

Here is something I have been watching. Skinner's name has been resurfacing in trade rumors. Now I haven't see anyone say the there is a deal in the works only that his name has been put out there. We know his name was out there last off-season and around trade deadline although more than rumor than anything else.

Do we think Skinner should be shopped?

I don't. I think we should be looking at adding scoring and not subtracting but I could be wrong.

I think you've gotta keep your ears open from other teams and Skinner himself. If he seems happy with the recent changes you can gauge whether we'll be left high and dry at the end of the season. Right now he's gotta feel quite alienated with the Hurricanes and likely be chomping at the bit to get out of here and I wouldn't blame him.

We can't lose a 60 point guy for nothing, Eric's departure while necessary has stung since nothing replaced him.

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

We can't lose a 60 point guy for nothing

That is my biggest concern. I guess we owe it to ourselves to float names and determine worth. Once we have a GM in place I expect other teams will know what to expect in a trade negotiation. Right now I suspect that teams will be testing Dundon and company to see what kind of a horse trader he is. Even with a new GM there will be some of that

If we could get a scoring center and think Z is ready maybe a Skinner deal would be warranted. I'm not sure

If Dundon chooses to not improve this team via free agency and it’s just the same group +/- a couple of Checkers to start the season the Canes will be a disappointment like the previous 9 years. Not a chance Skinner will re-sign or at a minimum will be a trade deadline pickup for some team.  

BTW I read RF no longer has an office with nameplate at the rink and has requested to work from home. What a fall. Maybe he and Ron the Ref can host Cool Bars next season. 

52 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

BTW I read RF no longer has an office with nameplate at the rink and has requested to work from home. What a fall. Maybe he and Ron the Ref can host Cool Bars next season. 

IF true, that's almost as bad as getting the Gerard Galant treatment outta PNC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

IF true, that's almost as bad as getting the Gerard Galant treatment outta PNC.

And look what has happened to Gerard.

• Like 1

I've sort of assumed that to trade Skinner we'd have to take good but less points, and get back a more traditional two way faster more physical guy. At least in theory, I think that could work out. No idea who that would be though. The one year left will lower his value. Ideally he'd sign and be traded after 

I will say that the fact that Skinner was soo much more effective the two seasons before this one, gives me hope that with a new coach and linemates he can get back to it, unlike Faulk, who has been playing the same way for 4-5 years.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

I've sort of assumed that to trade Skinner we'd have to take good but less points, and get back a more traditional two way faster more physical guy. At least in theory, I think that could work out. No idea who that would be though. The one year left will lower his value. Ideally he'd sign and be traded after 

I will say that the fact that Skinner was soo much more effective the two seasons before this one, gives me hope that with a new coach and linemates he can get back to it, unlike Faulk, who has been playing the same way for 4-5 years.

Simmonds fits the bill.

I don't know what happens with Skinner. I do know that he's a top-six winger who can score the puck like nobody's business. I hope we return to a more traditional approach when it comes to distribution/centralization/development of talent, with top-six guys actually playing in the top six, until somebody further down the ladder blossoms and pushes them out.

For example: On any top roster in this league, McGinn is a third liner who hits, and surprises opponents with his scoring ability--not a top-six player. He could become one, but I shudder to think how many more goals three guys who already are, Skinner, Willy, and Staal, would have scored this year if Skinner and McGinn had traded places. In other words: Top lines of JVR-Aho-TT and Skinner-Staal-Willy is, to me, a no-brainer. Put Lindholm between McGinn and a Stemp-type guy (not Stemp himself, I think he's done), and you still have three lines that can score, but two which are real threats every trip to the O-zone, and which have the talent and awareness to pounce on the one thing that always leads to goals in this league: opponent mistakes.

I also hope we throw out the "fourth line is not for developing talent" theorem. That's exactly what it's for, provided you limit it to one player at a time, and pair them with two seasoned guys. It lets them adapt to NHL speed in 10-minute-per-night increments. Give them a year there, then move them up a rung to see if they can handle it.

RF's notion that AHL guys must be ready to come up and immediately play top-nine minutes is beyond ridiculous. It subverts the essential need for young players to be defensively responsible (i.e., to avoid the mistakes which lead to goals) and to play heavy--because that's the fourth line's job. 

Everyone wants at real goalie.  It will cost.  Skinner could be the cost.  You don't just go to Kroger or Wegmans and get a goalie.

Let's hope the pipeline of forwards can fill the gap.

I like Skins, but he is also a little too one dimensional for my tastes. 

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Everyone wants at real goalie.  It will cost.  Skinner could be the cost.  You don't just go to Kroger or Wegmans and get a goalie.

Let's hope the pipeline of forwards can fill the gap.

I like Skins, but he is also a little too one dimensional for my tastes. 

Yup.  I thought he was the next Brett Hull.  Then I realized he has 0 chemistry with anyone.  It always happens no matter who you put him with.   It's  him that is the problem.

I don't know how John Forslund is holding his enthusiasm together right now as he broadcasts this Las Vegas game, what with the Canes getting in the top 3 of the draft. Can't wait for 2nd intermission.

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

For what?  He thrives on trying to get a response.  When attacked, he plays the victim.  Just ignore.  He's sparring with a relatively newish member and I don't want to see people pushed out by this.

I am never for banning people. First a lot of times they are so far out there it's entertaining and 2nd just because most sane people disagree with them doesn't mean they should have a chance to speak.

As for me don't worry about me being chased off. I have sports message boarded for 20 years on a Cleveland Browns forum you guys are tame compared to that.

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Yup.  I thought he was the next Brett Hull.  Then I realized he has 0 chemistry with anyone.  It always happens no matter who you put him with.   It's  him that is the problem.

Disagree the 2 games he was with PDG and Lindholm there was chemistry and the line played very well

Deleted my nonsense.  I like everyone here and don't want to see any banning.

Edited by wxray1

33 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I am never for banning people. First a lot of times they are so far out there it's entertaining and 2nd just because most sane people disagree with them doesn't mean they should have a chance to speak.

As for me don't worry about me being chased off. I have sports message boarded for 20 years on a Cleveland Browns forum you guys are tame compared to that.

I like you.