Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Recommended Posts

Here’s the N&O piece on Ronnie working from home, a death knell in pro sports. Waddell says Ronnie’s available if needed, another slap down. A great player who never distinguished himself wearing the suit and being The Man. Bet he packs up the station wagon and heads north this summer. 

 

FD9BB4F2-DB42-499A-8CED-E9008222B431.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Here’s the N&O piece on Ronnie working from home, a death knell in pro sports. Waddell says Ronnie’s available if needed, another slap down. A great player who never distinguished himself wearing the suit and being The Man. Bet he packs up the station wagon and heads north this summer. 

 

FD9BB4F2-DB42-499A-8CED-E9008222B431.jpeg

 

I've been thinking the JR retires and Mario brings in his old line mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

All we need to do is add The “Ageless Wonder” Jagr to this mix of young talent and we have a winning solution! ??

You have no clue how much I am seriously for this...even if he just rides the press box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You have no clue how much I am seriously for this...even if he just rides the press box!

I was halfway being sarcastic but there may be some validity in the notion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Bet he packs up the station wagon and heads north this summer.

Yup, the question is whether he stops in Pittsburgh for a job with his buddy JR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You have no clue how much I am seriously for this...even if he just rides the press box!

I think we all have more than a clue, AWAC. You've been on the Jagr jag since last summer. I wonder if he's ever played goalie--because that's about all the ice he'll be covering with those two flat tires of his. And there's this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I think we all have more than a clue, AWAC. You've been on the Jagr jag since last summer. I wonder if he's ever played goalie--because that's about all the ice he'll be covering with those two flat tires of his. And there's this.

Aww c’mon...I want to be the Carolina Traveling Jagr!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yup, the question is whether he stops in Pittsburgh for a job with his buddy JR.

We all rightfully became critics of JRs moves here his poor decisions really cost the team in quality personnel on the farm (none) and goofy contracts that defied logic. But no matter that he has managed to GM his team to back to back Cups and is a serious contender for a third. And if it means the team will be crappy for a few years afterwards while they rebuild it will have been worth it. Still don’t like him. And Ronnie? Should have packed the ‘Wagon when TD ‘promoted’ him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, I gotta tell you, if we don't pick up Dennis Seidenberg as our D-corps greybeard, it'll be a friggin' crime. He's a UFA and he's playing at the IIHFs, so he's clearly not done. Put him with Fleury and both he and everybody else on D will finish the year with whatever is the hockey equivalent of a Ph...D.  

 

Okay, that was pretty awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Guys, I gotta tell you, if we don't pick up Dennis Seidenberg as our D-corps greybeard, it'll be a friggin' crime. He's a UFA and he's playing at the IIHFs, so he's clearly not done. Put him with Fleury and both he and everybody else on D will finish the year with whatever is the hockey equivalent of a Ph...D.  

 

Okay, that was pretty awful.

I am sorry but We have put alot of effort into getting younger and hopefully more physical.  Seids does not have those 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the #2 pick, the roster puzzle is a little more exciting / easier.

Pencil ins (not in any order or line preference):

LW                         C                              RW

Turbo                Aho                           Williams

McGinn           Staal                          Svechnikov

Zykov              Necas                       Foegele

 

D

Slavin

Pesce

Fleury

TVR

Hanifin

 

Questions:

Skinner

Rask

Lindholm

Faulk

 

Other Checkers pushing for slots

Wallmark

Kuok

McKeown

 

So we have 1 roster spots at each position available with Aho and Necas able to move to the wing, if needed. Also one RHD position open if Faulk is moved :crossfingers:.

 

I am trying to move all the questionables with one exception being Lindholm, if he takes he wants to take another 2-3 year deal and play 4th line.

Wants- Older LW to play on Necas' or Aho's line

             Older RHD that can play PK if needed (cough "Hjalmarrson* cough)

             veteran C/RW if Lindholm is moved

             Starting goalie

 

I think we can accomplish our goals with little damage to our prospect pool.  We have 4 roster players we can move to be hockey based moves.  

 

Still calling Washington about Holtby.  Calling Montreal about Patches.  Calling Zona about a Hjalmarsson  & Rask swap. Looking at Statsny in FA for the RW.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The #2 pick is definitely giving us a lot of options to shed some players and improve the team but I hope TD doesn't leave it at that. With $$ and CAP space available to still pursue a 1C like Tavares, should he become available, that would be one hell of a way to back up his statement about commitment to winning and to fill seats again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to think that being able to add Svech, would make Tavares at least take a glance in our direction. This is an elite winger that JT would likely play his entire contract with, and makes this team, that was pretty close to the playoffs even with a sieve in goal, pretty exciting looking moving forward if that area between the pipes gets fixed.

 

Also, if we were somehow by the grace of the luck we found in the lottery can land JT, we would almost HAVE to trade some guys just to make room.

 

So then we could throw a pretty impressive load at someone to get their really good goalie. Seriously heafty overpayment for the right goalie could make sense.

 

If this team had Tavares to add to Necas and Svech coming in? All attention focused on finding a goalie, because to be honest, it would be hard to imagine this team not being elite pretty quick if we could settle that one position down.

 

Necas is special. Svech is special. Aho is pretty special as it TT. Skinner can be special at what he does too. Then we add John, freaking, Tavares? Are you kidding me? That is honestly 6 guys with All Star Potential. Then you have defensive stud J Staal? Lindholm would be our 8th best forward.

 

The only problem we'd have up front is finding any place for our prospects to play in Raleigh.

 

OK, I have to wipe the drool off and get back to reality because even without JT, this team is going to rock if we fix goalie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, remkin said:

The only problem we'd have up front is finding any place for our prospects to play in Raleigh.

Sounds good to me!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cc said:

I am sorry but We have put alot of effort into getting younger and hopefully more physical.  Seids does not have those 2.

He has physicality in spades, and we need a greybeard. But we can agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He gone

 

As expected: TD played the game and has now removed Francis from the organization.

 

1. "promoted"

2. asked to work from home

3. relieved

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

I hope TD will keep Ron's number in the rafters

I don't think you need to worry on that score.

 

Interesting that Nieuwendyk split too, although Ronnie brought him on, so I guess it makes sense.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

 

Interesting that Nieuwendyk split too

 

I think we will see some others go too. It's just part of the game when management turns over. I find the way this is playing out unsettling but not unexpected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

He has physicality in spades, and we need a greybeard. But we can agree to disagree.

Clearly D.Weight preferred the younger roster as Seidenberg only saw 28 games this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

I think we will see some others go too. It's just part of the game when management turns over. I find the way this is playing out unsettling but not unexpected.

Depending on the new coach, if it isn't Rod he and Steve Smith could be vacating as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Bad timing to lose your head scout though? Old Boy Club at its grandest, no?

That's hockey in general when it comes to organizations...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...