The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Vellucci to GM when Charlotte is done. Rod as HC. Steve Smith released so he can coach with Peters in Calgary. This is based on no facts whatsoever, but I could see it. Or Vellucci as HC, Rod offered HC in Charlotte. It seems TD has developed a real affinity for Don Waddell, whom I never thought would survive this transition. Not a fan of Waddell, but he said he was lucky before he went to the draft, and he delivered big time, so maybe we promote him to owner’s personal rabbit’s foot.

I really hope they don’t stay inside the organization for GM and coaches. What a let down that would be. Continuing to try the same thing for 10 seasons is insanity!  Time to go completely outside of this organization  and start over. New owner new proven NHL GM, new proven NHL coach, get rid of a couple of big names On the team with trades and spend some money on a huge acquisition. Anything less would be insanity and a let down to the fans once again.  

• Like 1

And personally, I like Dundon a lot so far. He’s going to do whatever it takes, he seems like a smart guy, he knew he had to come in and let heads roll if we missed the playoffs and he is not tip toeing around it. four straight years of the same mgmt/coaching missing the playoffs.   I think he’s going to be an exciting GM that spends money and won’t accept losing. I’ll take it over sitting around Wondering when our guys are gonna come out of their goal scoring slumps and win 2 in a row, or waiting for the big trade that never happens. Sick of it.  Blow it up Tom, make it exciting again. Just dont touch Aho, TT ,Slavin or Pesce and pick shnecktativoviolaoff (gonna take a while to remember how to say or spell this one) with the second pick. Exciting times to me, i will not let a rumor about a lowball GM offer make me think TD is a cheap moron.  He is smart as heck and rich as heck, probably false as heck rumor. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

With the #2 pick, the roster puzzle is a little more exciting / easier.

Pencil ins (not in any order or line preference):

LW                         C                              RW

Turbo                Aho                           Williams

McGinn           Staal                          Svechnikov

Zykov              Necas                       Foegele

D

Slavin

Pesce

Fleury

TVR

Hanifin

Questions:

Skinner

Rask

Lindholm

Faulk

Other Checkers pushing for slots

Wallmark

Kuok

McKeown

So we have 1 roster spots at each position available with Aho and Necas able to move to the wing, if needed. Also one RHD position open if Faulk is moved :crossfingers:.

I am trying to move all the questionables with one exception being Lindholm, if he takes he wants to take another 2-3 year deal and play 4th line.

Wants- Older LW to play on Necas' or Aho's line

Older RHD that can play PK if needed (cough "Hjalmarrson* cough)

veteran C/RW if Lindholm is moved

Starting goalie

I think we can accomplish our goals with little damage to our prospect pool.  We have 4 roster players we can move to be hockey based moves.  

Still calling Washington about Holtby.  Calling Montreal about Patches.  Calling Zona about a Hjalmarsson  & Rask swap. Looking at Statsny in FA for the RW.  

Skinner a question?  He scores more goals than everyone on that team above except Aho. He is not done and his contract is not overly inflated.   You keep Skinner in top 6 unless be brings a Tavares than trade him. 

46 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

I really hope they don’t stay inside the organization for GM and coaches. What a let down that would be. Continuing to try the same thing for 10 seasons is insanity!  Time to go completely outside of this organization  and start over. New owner new proven NHL GM, new proven NHL coach, get rid of a couple of big names On the team with trades and spend some money on a huge acquisition. Anything less would be insanity and a let down to the fans once again.  

I couldn’t agree more. But Waddell has said Rod is being considered for HC. And if the Checkers make a deep run at the Calder Cup, that enhances Vellucci’s resume.He was very successful in juniors too. As much as I love Rod, the lack of head coaching experience at any level is a concern. Plus, the messy departure today of RF shows the significant downside to hiring a team legend. Coaches are hired to be fired, and I’d hate to see us reach a point where we have run the two best players in franchise history out of town in coaching or management jobs. Having so little information about who else they are talking to, it’s hard to say how Rod and Vellucci stack up, but ideally, I think a complete break with the past is the way to go.

8 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Skinner a question?  He scores more goals than everyone on that team above except Aho. He is not done and his contract is not overly inflated.   You keep Skinner in top 6 unless be brings a Tavares than trade him. 

I for one give Skinner another year to see if he can turn it around. If he isn't given better line mates then I'm sure he would want to move on as well. The bad news is that TD only saw one year and a year where it looked like Skins had mailed it in much of the year. He didn't see the previous two years where he played sound defense and lit the lamp on a regular basis. I'm hoping he stays!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Clearly D.Weight preferred the younger roster as Seidenberg only saw 28 games this year.

Though he was a healthy scratch later, he went on IR 15 games in after being hit in the chin with a shot. Prior to that, he averaged 19:20 TOI with four goals, four assists, and a team-best +10.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I for one give Skinner another year to see if he can turn it around. If he isn't given better line mates then I'm sure he would want to move on as well. The bad news is that TD only saw one year and a year where it looked like Skins had mailed it in much of the year. He didn't see the previous two years where he played sound defense and lit the lamp on a regular basis. I'm hoping he stays!

I understand yours and Danimal's points.  I only disagree from the standpoint, I highly doubt we keep Skinner after next year anyways.  We'll have a hard time affording him, the defense, Turbo, Aho, possible trades / UFAs.  Based on his willingness to cash it in this past season, he isnt someone we want on the squad.  Also his puck hogging tendencies arent going to benefit Aho or Necas as progressing nhl centers. Might as well get value out of him now and let Zykov & Svech make up for his goal production.  

9 hours ago, Danimal38 said:

Time to go completely outside of this organization  and start over.

8 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

And if the Checkers make a deep run at the Calder Cup, that enhances Vellucci’s resume.

I can see both points of view.

I'm hoping the talks with Buffalo's candidate didn't break down around coach selection, but can see where they might have if TD wants Vellucci. And I think he really does, with good reason.

Vellucci has worked his tail off, doing whatever PK asked for over 30 years (he's been with the org since Hartford drafted him as player in '87). In just one year in CLT he has shown that knows how to allocate talent to win games, and given his record coaching Juniors, there is no question he knows how to handle young players. A strong argument can be made that we'd be foolish not to let the guy who knows our players and prospects better than anyone coach the big team. And as others have pointed out, it would give Roddy a chance to run the bench in CLT.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Based on his willingness to cash it in this past season, he isnt someone we want on the squad. 

Dude. He scored 50 points with no help.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude. He scored 50 points with no help.

I didnt say his lack of scoring disqualified him.  His lack of a 200 foot game and willingness to cash it in, does.  I like Skinner but based on where we are going with more youth on the squad, does his style of play fit?  I say no, you are welcome to disagree.  Do we want a veteran being an example to 4 rookies plus the young talent on the squad, that is willing to take defensive shifts off? With Zykov and the 2nd overall pick, we can afford to move his scoring out to get a more well rounded veteran to play along side the young guys.   

Put Skinner in a better team/coaching environment and I think a lot of the issues go away.   He loves the game, that is clear if you ever watch him in practice.  Passion for the game while continuously losing does things to guys like him.  I don't think you get rid of a natural goal scorer on a team that seriously lacks natural goal scorers.

• Like 4

I know I've said it before, but Skinner showed the two previous seasons that if he gets his habits fixed he can be a high potency goal scorer with at least adequate defense. This gives me hope for him, and with only one year on his contract, the return would be a problem. New coach, new players, give him a new chance IMO. If we stayed with Peters, he would have had to go, but we would not have gotten good value probably.

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I understand yours and Danimal's points.  I only disagree from the standpoint, I highly doubt we keep Skinner after next year anyways.  We'll have a hard time affording him, the defense, Turbo, Aho, possible trades / UFAs.  Based on his willingness to cash it in this past season, he isnt someone we want on the squad.  Also his puck hogging tendencies arent going to benefit Aho or Necas as progressing nhl centers. Might as well get value out of him now and let Zykov & Svech make up for his goal production.  

Hate to jump on you when others already have but I have a hard time calling Skinner a puck hog. It may have seemed like it but a large amount of the time he was the only forward in the Ozone. Thats not puck hogging thats playing well above the talent of your line mates which happened a lot because he was on the 3rd or 4th line not the top 2 where he belonged. 

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I can see both points of view.

I'm hoping the talks with Buffalo's candidate didn't break down around coach selection, but can see where they might have if TD wants Vellucci. And I think he really does, with good reason.

Vellucci has worked his tail off, doing whatever PK asked for over 30 years (he's been with the org since Hartford drafted him as player in '87). In just one year in CLT he has shown that knows how to allocate talent to win games, and given his record coaching Juniors, there is no question he knows how to handle young players. A strong argument can be made that we'd be foolish not to let the guy who knows our players and prospects better than anyone coach the big team. And as others have pointed out, it would give Roddy a chance to run the bench in CLT.

Make it happen Top. I think sweeping away Ronnie will in the short term hurt the team from a publicity stand point and would hate to see another team legend go. I also agree its too soon to put him behind the bench in Raleigh. So this is the perfect situation. That way when Vellucci is ready to move up Rod takes his spot.

• Like 1

Necas is going to the Worlds. He has been added to the Czech Republic team

• Like 1

So now we have 5 Canes in the Worlds? I think we had a thread in the past for those who cares to talk about the tournament, could we have one this time?

24 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

So now we have 5 Canes in the Worlds? I think we had a thread in the past for those who cares to talk about the tournament, could we have one this time?

Here you go under Around the NHL and Other Hockey Talk

2018 IIHF World Championship

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I agree with you, Skinner is a puck hog/selfish. There are times where I just shake my head, and if it was appropriate I bet his line mates would too. He also floats at the blue line way too often instead of playing defense, that's why he is one of our worst minus players every year. The rare occasion Skinner does play defense, Tripp jumps on the chance to point it out and say that "if he could only do that on a consistent basis."

I have never been a Skinner fan but I was hoping that he turned a corner after last season, but this year was more of the same old Skinner.

1 hour ago, Derailed75 said:

Hate to jump on you when others already have but I have a hard time calling Skinner a puck hog. It may have seemed like it but a large amount of the time he was the only forward in the Ozone. Thats not puck hogging thats playing well above the talent of your line mates which happened a lot because he was on the 3rd or 4th line not the top 2 where he belonged. 

I'll expand on this:

Imo, Skinner was weak in our D zone and at times loafed in transitioning back, but to his credit I thought he was one of our more effective forwards on the forecheck.  He finished 2nd in the entire league in takeaways, with 93.  After many of those takeaways he was the only forward in the picture and went to the net, oftentimes through several defenders, which could give the impression of "puck hogging", but to me indicated drive and desire.  

Put me in the "only trade Skinner if we get an exceptional return" group.  We can deal him at the trade deadline if need be, but with the changes I expect are coming up, I see him more as returning to 2016-17 form than this past season.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

His lack of a 200 foot game and willingness to cash it in, does.

When you're trying to do it all in the offensive end because your linemates can't, your ability to get back on D suffers. He did it beautifully the two prior seasons, from the moment BP called it out onward. He did it for the first third of this season too, but eventually Lack O' Stemp caught up with him.

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Also his puck hogging tendencies arent going to benefit Aho or Necas as progressing nhl centers. Might as well get value out of him now and let Zykov & Svech make up for his goal production.  

He hogged the puck due to not having anyone to pass to. Who was available? PDG/Ryan/Stemps.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Ronnie probably refused to quit so he’d be eligible for Cobra. After all he only made 39.5m as a player. 

How much Francis made as a player is irrelevant. When you fire a guy, you pay him for the duration of his contract. This dance since March 7th looks like an effort to humiliate the guy into quitting. Not the classy thing to do. There were a lot of good reasons for Dundon to fire Francis, starting with simply wanting his own guy to run the team. But I can’t help but wonder if the messy way it was handled, and with a Hall of Famer who is popular around the league, may be contributing to the difficulty in finding a replacement.