Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Recommended Posts

Quote

Waddell : “This gives us some options with our forward group as we head toward the next season.”

 

He may not be the GM but he acts like one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caniac514 said:

Hurricanes traded Kruger.

Ok, baby steps in getting rid of dead wood.

Must be the trade Waddell told me he was working on in the elevator. Needed to move him on. New guy sounds pretty physical.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hitting gritty 4th liner? That's good :) 

Seriously, I am glad that there was some work done and we see results of, and want to believe even more in progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saves 900k.  What option does this give us exactly?  Unless we are able to move him later, I'm not seeing the options.  Unless it is leverage to low ball nordy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The timing is unusual and unorthodox but this could be our new norm. On the surface it looks like a salary dump to me. Getting a player back you can use as opposed to overpaying a player in the AHL. He is listed as a center and wing. We know he is a fourth line player.  Nordy is a left shot, Ryan or even Rask a 4th line center.

 

Darned if I know where it is leading but it is heading somewhere IMO. :popcorn:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 years old, over 200 pounds, and was second on Arizona in hits and time on ice short-handed.

 

Sounds like a fourth line banger that kills penalties. Could be bad news for Nordstrom and his 7 points.

 

Hopefully we make more moves so that we are “harder to play against.”

 

.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Canes just removed Kruger who would be paid not to play and replaced Nordstrom in one move.  Not a flashy move, but it seems like a smart one.  What's not to like?

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The Canes just removed Kruger and replaced Nordstram in one move.  Not a flashy move, but it seems like a smart one.

 

As long as he can finish checks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

The Canes just removed Kruger who would be paid not to play and replaced Nordstrom in one move.  Not a flashy move, but it seems like a smart one.  What's not to like?

It’s a move that starts setting the table for the rest of the off season.  As you said, moves some dead weight on and fills a need. Arizona gets some cap hit to help them meet the floor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OBXer said:

 

He may not be the GM but he acts like one

I thought was what he was supposed to do when they named him Acting GM, or was he supposed to be the GM of the Canes acting department?:coollaugh:

I keeed, I keeed.

 

Seriously, I thought they officially gave him the acting GM title. Am I remembering that wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Seriously, I thought they officially gave him the acting GM title. Am I remembering that wrong?

 

Interim GM but whats in a name.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Interesting article on our offseason needs by TSN:
https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-carolina-hurricanes-1.1075184

 

And interesting list at the bottom as to who they think will be on our lineup come October...I tried not to vomit at the goalie list.

Unless we can get Washington to stop fighting us from being better and give up  Holtby, our goalie situation won’t look good.  Although it won’t look that bad, hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Interesting article on our offseason needs by TSN:
https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-carolina-hurricanes-1.1075184

 

And interesting list at the bottom as to who they think will be on our lineup come October...I tried not to vomit at the goalie list.

Well, they already have one wrong with Kruger being traded. Hopefully, they will be proven wrong again with some others!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coyotes GM revealed Kruger played last season with a sports hernia.

 

Our incredible luck with injuries last year sounds like a complete ruse. Hopefully those involved in that are gone, all that's left is the trainer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, OBXer said:

The timing is unusual and unorthodox but this could be our new norm. On the surface it looks like a salary dump to me. Getting a player back you can use as opposed to overpaying a player in the AHL. He is listed as a center and wing. We know he is a fourth line player.  Nordy is a left shot, Ryan or even Rask a 4th line center.

 

Darned if I know where it is leading but it is heading somewhere IMO. :popcorn:

Just now reading his brief intro, and something jumped out at me, his self proclaimed its true reflection of himself, WORK ETHIC. Why that you ask, Is that not a mirror image of someone in consideration for our next HC? Now it may be that I'm just waking and not thinking straight, but wonder if Brind'Amour had input in this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Coyotes GM revealed Kruger played last season with a sports hernia.

 

Our incredible luck with injuries last year sounds like a complete ruse. Hopefully those involved in that are gone, all that's left is the trainer.

 

Which makes it even more maddening on why young guys didnt more of a shot earlier.  Dudes playing with a sports hernia or shoulder injuries and we continue to roll them out there?  Why play a fully healthy young guy with a bunch of energy when you can play a guy that is at 50-70% due to injury?  I get hockey players play through plenty of injuries but still.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

 

Which makes it even more maddening on why young guys didnt more of a shot earlier.  Dudes playing with a sports hernia or shoulder injuries and we continue to roll them out there?  Why play a fully healthy young guy with a bunch of energy when you can play a guy that is at 50-70% due to injury?  I get hockey players play through plenty of injuries but still.  

This. When they finally sent Kruger and Jooris down (way too late), it still seemed like finally someone made a smart move. But the hernia sort of makes it an obvious move and less impressive still. We needed to get more look at more yutes at the end of last year. Imagine if we never got Zykov or Foegele up here? 

 

I don't see room for Kruger even if he gets his hernia fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Interesting article on our offseason needs by TSN:
https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-carolina-hurricanes-1.1075184

 

And interesting list at the bottom as to who they think will be on our lineup come October...I tried not to vomit at the goalie list.

The one thing I liked was the absence of Faulk and the addition of Jesse Puljujarvi. That's a trade I supported in the past would support 100% today. 

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those poo-pooing the "minor" trade to swap Kruger for Martinook, think about one of the things that the team needs to improve on...toughness.  Martinook would have tied for third on the Canes this year with 128 hits.  Jordan had 181, McGinn 137, and Faulk with 128.  Jordan and Faulk played a ton more minutes than Martinook.  Martinook was about even with McGinn on minutes.  The three headed GM moved out some dead weight, saved a few dollars, and brought in a guy that offers some toughness.  I know it's hard to judge by a stat line, but it looks good to me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The one thing I liked was the absence of Faulk and the addition of Jesse Puljujarvi. That's a trade I would support 100%. 

 

Pulj and Svech would eliminate our RW depth issue for many years.  Would only need better org depth at RHD at that point.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...