The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The one thing I liked was the absence of Faulk and the addition of Jesse Puljujarvi. That's a trade I supported in the past would support 100% today. 

As I've stated before, I think there is a deal to be made between Edmonton and Carolina (if partners can dance), that either brings him here, or RNH. Either IMO would be a welcome addition in place of Faulk.

21 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Coyotes GM revealed Kruger played last season with a sports hernia.

Our incredible luck with injuries last year sounds like a complete ruse. Hopefully those involved in that are gone, all that's left is the trainer.

I'm confused.  Was Kruger a cog in the machine that we just couldn't go without, so he played with a sports hernia?  Then he was waived, and sent to Charlotte which seems to indicated that he wasn't a cog in the machine that we just couldn't go without.

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The one thing I liked was the absence of Faulk and the addition of Jesse Puljujarvi. That's a trade I supported in the past would support 100% today. 

I have floated trying to get Puljujarvi. He has underpeformed expectations but has a big ceiling.

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Which makes it even more maddening on why young guys didnt more of a shot earlier.  Dudes playing with a sports hernia or shoulder injuries and we continue to roll them out there?  Why play a fully healthy young guy with a bunch of energy when you can play a guy that is at 50-70% due to injury?  I get hockey players play through plenty of injuries but still.  

This.  Of course the biggest answer, to give the dead horse another swing or two, was that Francis thought none of them were good enough to play more than 6 minutes.  Had RF not been moved, i don't think we would have gotten the brief looks at a couple of the yutes that we did get at the end there.  Yeah, we needed more, but at least with the interim GM (or whoever made the calls), we got that much.

Edited by realmdrakkar
i always see the typo right after hitting 'submit'

It's not just the hits either. Sounds like a tough work ethic. Going to the corners, forechecking and bringing the max every shift. He was a late second rounder in the McGinn/PDG draft, so he has some uspside. Don't need a lot of production from a 4th liner, but you do need some, and he has some. Given that we had to lose Kruger, hard to see much downside here.

13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm confused.  Was Kruger a cog in the machine that we just couldn't go without, so he played with a sports hernia?  Then he was waived, and sent to Charlotte which seems to indicated that he wasn't a cog in the machine that we just couldn't go without.

He was a cog that was able to play more then 6 minutes a game in the NHL apparently, a broken busted up cog.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Puljujarvi was the next Tyler Seguin?  Boston gave up on him too soon.  What a steal that would be for Faulk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MassCaniac said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Puljujarvi was the next Tyler Seguin?  Boston gave up on him too soon.  What a steal that would be for Faulk.

He already showed chemistry with Aho.  Imagine a TT-Aho-Pulju line.  I'm wiping the drool from my chin as i type this.

• Like 2

So they move out Faulk and Skinner, and add Puljajarvi and LaDue.  If that is what we end up with for Skinner and Faulk, our GM should be fired.  Oh wait....

But I do like the move to shed Kruger's salary and get Martinook in his place.  

17 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

saves 900k.  What option does this give us exactly?  Unless we are able to move him later, I'm not seeing the options.  Unless it is leverage to low ball nordy.

I think this sets the stage for turning Nordy loose.

I've been one of Nordy's biggest supporters and love how he plays as if he was three inches taller and 25 pounds heavier. But if it's a choice between Nordy hanging on to a job here by trying to play above his weight class or Martinook banging with, say, Wallmark and PDG as the fourth line? For me that's not even close. Nordy does many things well, but when I think about him trying to hold his own in the playoffs, yipes.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

This is a big reason I think the RF/BP relationship, about halfway through the season, had become dysfunctional, to the detriment of team success.

If tales of RF's top-down style are true, he thinks every move he makes is the right one. I wonder: for how long after Kruger's injury did BP beg RF to waive Kruger, before he finally did it? Even scarier, from a "what was Ronnie thinking" POV, is that Kruger was waived, not put on IR. Then I think about Pesce and Rask also playing hurt--also, apparently, for a long time.

I shudder to think how different the results may have been if we'd been looking out for these players' best longer-term interests--even though none of our AHLers - who are currently playing hockey instead of golf, let's not forget - were "ready to play more than six minutes a night." Pfffft.

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Unless we can get Washington to stop fighting us from being better and give up  Holtby, our goalie situation won’t look good.  Although it won’t look that bad, hopefully.

I think the possibility of the Caps trading Holtby took a serious hit when Grubauer slipped in the playoffs and Holtby picked up the reins and is playing extremely well.  

• Like 1

Couldn't see the Caps making a contender out of a team in their division anyway. Every team in the division has to be aware adding a .910 goalie to this roster's going to make us a problem to play.

I suspect that a major factor in many of the decisions made by Canes management this year was fear.  Gotta believe that BP and RF must have realized that their jobs may have been on the line if we didn't make the playoffs, and that might have contributed to an aversion to any move they might have viewed as "risky".  Fear can paralyze. :o

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is a big reason I think the RF/BP relationship, about halfway through the season, had become dysfunctional, to the detriment of team success.

If tales of RF's top-down style are true, he thinks every move he makes is the right one. I wonder: for how long after Kruger's injury did BP beg RF to waive Kruger, before he finally did it? Even scarier, from a "what was Ronnie thinking" POV, is that Kruger was waived, not put on IR. Then I think about Pesce and Rask also playing hurt--also, apparently, for a long time.

I shudder to think how different the results may have been if we'd been looking out for these players' best longer-term interests--even though none of our AHLers - who are currently playing hockey instead of golf, let's not forget - were "ready to play more than six minutes a night." Pfffft.

I also think RF was guilty of looking forward too much and not "the now".  He seemed to not want to risk burning a year of an entry level deal unless there was no other option.

• Like 1

@minter Assuming he stays, you make sure you tell your Caniacs that they're getting a DAMN good player AND person in @Martyman17 . He will work his *edit* off for you. Never takes a shift off. Solid, SOLID guy. You'll love him, #Redvolution fans! We will absolutely miss him in AZ.

Hello every one , I,m a New member to the  hurricanes  forum . i.m looking forward with our hurricanes talk 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ja1964 said:

Hello every one , I,m a New member to the  hurricanes  forum . i.m looking forward with our hurricanes talk 

Welcome!

I was also a Whalers fan back in the day (saw your other post), but I’m from NJ (a.k.a: the armpit of the world). Still remember watching their last game in Hartford......was tough to take. 

I also remember watching the first Canes game, and hoping for better times to come. 

3 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Welcome! ?

5 hours ago, ja1964 said:

Welcome! Come on and join the fun. An interesting and hopefully exciting time to be a Canes fan.

19 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not sure where to put this but Jim Montgomery named head coach of the Stars today. so scratch him off the potentials list.

That had been rumored for a few days now.

Just looking at the numbers the average salary in the NHL seems to be around $3.15 million. The Canes average salary is $2.5 million, #30. Only Arizona is slightly lower.

I got up this morning and saw the Vegas score from last night. If I was voting for coach of the year, Galant would be my choice. Even if some other coaches wins the SC.