The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

4 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Hands down the most classless firing in NHL history...

I thought that was a few weeks ago?  Ask Jeff O'Neil.

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I thought that was a few weeks ago?  Ask Jeff O'Neil.

Huh?  Did I miss something?

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Not a thing. Just "the O dog" shooting off his mouth--which he does a whole more consistently than he ever shot a puck--in defense of RF.

Career: -115. He was a dog, all right...

Edited by top-shelf-1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Not a thing. Just "the O dog" shooting off his mouth--which he does a whole more consistently than he ever shot a puck--in defense of RF.

Career: -115. He was a dog, all right...

Skinner is -95. Will probably reach dog status next season.

• Like 1

Dougie Hamilton is rumored to be available.  See if Peters wants some of his old Canes players that he played too often with little production?  ?

Sportsnet put out a list of the 6 RFAs that could receive an offer sheet (coincidentally, its probably the 6 best RFAs available) 

Karlsson- VGK

Nylander- TOR

Trouba- WIN

Dumba- MIN

Larkin- DET

Stone- OTT

I know we go through the RFA offer sheet options about as much as trading top 3 picks, with about the same likelihood of occurence I might add.  I dont see any real threat of offer sheet issues.  I love to have Stone but OTT has plenty of cap space. Nylander- unless someone screws their franchise and offers him Draisaitl money, I dont see TOR letting him walk.  The two defenders are likely to be traded before offer sheet time.  Larkin could be a target if someone prices him too high because Detroit doesnt have a lot of cap space. With Necas coming, I dont know that we need Larkin though.  

JT Miller, Grubauer,  Hellebuyck, and Zucker are far more likely to be offer sheet threats than they others.  For clarity, by far means going from a .05% chances from the prior group to a 0.8% chance.  

Tampa will not be able to sign JT Miller with their starting goalie and big name RW needing re-signing soon.  

Grubauer- Washington already has a 7 mil goalie on the payroll and will struggle with cap issues again. They only need a new defense and a really good RHD is leaving

Hellebuyck- Many teams need a starting goalie. Winnipeg has a bunch of RFAs this year.  They need to fill 6 roster slots plus extras with about 25 million in cap.  25 Million in cap is a bunch but remember Laine and Connor are needing re-signings next off season.  The jets will try and dump Mason's 4 mil contract but I dont see anyone taking it (yes even us).

Zucker- is the safest of the bunch but Minnesota will has some cap issues.  The big Parise and Suter signings are continuing to drag them down.  Wild will have about 13 mil in cap space which is enough to bring back Zucker and Dumba.  I dont know if the Wild will spend that high.  

Edited by gocanes0506

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Top Shelf said it poetically.  I'll stay it straight up.  O-Dog is quoted as saying he is embarrassed to be a Canes alumnus.  (Source: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nhl/article210278284.html)  He didn't like the moves Dundon made.

The move being perhaps "the most classless firing in NHL history."  That's quoting you, AWAC, not O'Neill.  I was just making the comparison because there is a contingent out there who think the RF firing is in that category.  

TD should go out and buy an RFA. Remember PK put that 22 million dollar offer sheet on the table for Sergei Federov? He put Mr. Pizza Pizza in a bad spot. He had to match it or lose Federov who at the time was all world. If Canes mgmt want One of these players bad enough (Dumba?) then play hard ball. Isn’t this supposed to be a new mgmt style. So you p*** a few owners off. Shake it up. 

Edited by raleighcaniac

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Top Shelf said it poetically.  I'll stay it straight up.  O-Dog is quoted as saying he is embarrassed to be a Canes alumnus.  (Source: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nhl/article210278284.html)  He didn't like the moves Dundon made.

The move being perhaps "the most classless firing in NHL history."  That's quoting you, AWAC, not O'Neill.  I was just making the comparison because there is a contingent out there who think the RF firing is in that category.  

Well, at least Dundon didn’t tell Franchise to get his own cab to the airport ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

I'm still waiting for somebody to explain how the RF firing was classless, and also to explain the classy way to have fired him.

Hang his Canes' polo shirt from the rafters?

• Like 1

Apparently, to O-Dog and the likes, the only classy way would be to use "unlimited resources" that Dundon has, ask permission from all the player alumni, ask permission from all residents of Ontario, and if approved, pay RF for multiple years of transition, while hiring a new GM with a salary at least 125% of the current GM salary average who is approved by the alumni and Ontario residents.  Another ski trip to Whistler would also be required.

Oh, and hanging the polo shirt is a must.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

He could of fired him instead of trying to force him out. In the end he was forced to fire him after promoting/demoting, taking his office, letting him work from home and then issuing a terse Francis has been removed.   Everyone will see it as they want but it was classless IMO.  Akin to an employer telling an employee it would be better if they resign instead of being fired when everyone knows it is better for the employer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OBXer said:

He could of fired him instead of trying to force him out. In the end he was forced to fire him after promoting/demoting, taking his office, letting him work from home and then issuing a terse Francis has been removed.   Everyone will see it as they want but it was classless IMO.  Akin to an employer telling an employee it would be better if they resign instead of being fired when everyone knows it is better for the employer.

That's possible.  But isn't it also possible that Dundon was sincere in trying to give RF an opportunity to finish out his contract in some useful capacity and it just didn't work out?  Perhaps just as much due to RF as to Dundon?  Someone with RFs background must have quite a bit of pride, which could get in the way of such an arrangement working. "Taking his office" sounds pretty severe, but creating a high tech War Room does sound to me like something Dundon would do.  Not knowing the space available at PNC, I could see limited options being open to implement it. 

I wonder if we'll ever find out the true dynamics of what happened?  

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Everyone will see it as they want but it was classless IMO.

yet, surprisingly, still waaaaaay classier than missing the playoffs for nine years straight

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if we'll ever find out the true dynamics of what happened?  

Probably not.  It is a "he said, he said" at this point and a private personnel matter.   The "classless" and "just business" camps of thought really don't know what the true story is.  There may be legalities as to why the discussion has stopped.

I just hope Dundon gets us moving on.  This is festering.

• Like 4

Since I've said all along that we don't know what went on behind the scenes, "just business" makes sense to me.

Its hard to fire somebody (especially a legend) and put a positive spin on it.  I think Dundon was trying to soft pedal it, and when he saw that wasn't working, ripped off the band aid.  That doesn't seem so classless to me. 

• Like 1

Time to move on, those wanting to salute his jersey in the rafters will still have the option to do so, it ain't going anywhere.

• Like 4