The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

I just saw Britton Buchanan sing “The Rising” on the voice. It brought back very sweet memories of our 2006 cup run. What an awesome ride that was... 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2018 at 11:04 AM, Bonivan said:

With that amount of young players in lineup we need might need a tough player who could stand up for them if things go nasty 

Exactly. Trade for Tom Wilson, or Austin Watson, or Ryan Reeves, and i think the leafs have given up on Matt Martin. Anyone of these guys would fit in with the canes. One thing is the canes need some big physical player or two.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Wilson might be a bit too much...he plays borderline at times...we need an enforcer and not a goon.

Or a team of enforcers: everyone standing up for each other.

People call the Broad Street Bullies a freak show, and they pretty much were. But I'll tell you what. When anybody went after Bobby Clarke - himself a very dirty player - vengeance was fast and unremitting. At one game, Wayne Cashman of the Bruins - if memory serves, this is like 45 years ago - made that mistake. The details are (seriously) too unbelievable to write down but when it was over, Cashman's face was a bloody mess and it took probably 15 minutes for the refs to regain control of the ice. 

I'm not advocating anything of that kind. But if sure would be nice if everybody on the team had everybody else's back, because we'd cease being the Candy Canes toot freakin' sweet.

Canes Sign Maenalanen to One-Year Contract by Terrell Williams

"Saku is a big, strong winger who can really skate," said Waddell. "Our scouting staff has been tracking this player for a long time. He had options when it came to where he would start his NHL career, and we're pleased he has chosen Carolina."

Reiterating what you said earlier OBXer, Joni is busy.  If Joni can ID an Aho in the second round, then I trust his judgement on this signing.  Not a bad move to take a chance on a guy.

11 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Reiterating what you said earlier OBXer, Joni is busy.  If Joni can ID an Aho in the second round, then I trust his judgement on this signing.  Not a bad move to take a chance on a guy.

That's my take on it. I don't know much about him. From what I'm finding he was first drafted by the Preds, is 23, a left shot, big and can skate. On a two way deal he could be headed for Charlotte but I'm not going to assume that, just yet. I don't watch enough International hockey to know. Maybe someone on the board knows a little more about him. I do trust Joni's judgment so I would agree this signing is worth the chance.

Yeah Kuokannen too, whom I still think has NHL chops. But Aho alone is worth Joni's weight in gold. OK, maybe not quite that much but yeah.

I also have no special insight and find it difficult to follow these guys in Europe. That said, I am betting he starts in Charlotte. That said, it is clear that at least part of the re-tool mission is to add physicality (see Martinook), and I guess he might slip into the bottom 6 if he has a good camp and depending on how other moves pan out.

Also the release says he had options where he would start his NHL career, not his North American Pro career. Not sure how much to read into that, and it is a two way deal.

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Or a team of enforcers: everyone standing up for each other.

People call the Broad Street Bullies a freak show, and they pretty much were. But I'll tell you what. When anybody went after Bobby Clarke - himself a very dirty player - vengeance was fast and unremitting. At one game, Wayne Cashman of the Bruins - if memory serves, this is like 45 years ago - made that mistake. The details are (seriously) too unbelievable to write down but when it was over, Cashman's face was a bloody mess and it took probably 15 minutes for the refs to regain control of the ice. 

I'm not advocating anything of that kind. But if sure would be nice if everybody on the team had everybody else's back, because we'd cease being the Candy Canes toot freakin' sweet.

top, this is the way I have always thought about the issue of "toughness". There's absolutely no reason, in my mind to have "goons", head hunters or the like, if everyone, and that means everyone will take issue when a teammate is run. Larose, bless his sole and not to get into that controversy again, but he was that kind of player(vividly recall him doing that with Chara). Should Skinner choose to leave, or if he's in fact mentally reached that point, I'll always believe that so many of the dirty hits he's taken, AND NOT HAVE ANYONE WATCH HIS BACK, are the primary reason for that?

And when Justin as well as several others mention something like "there"s something wrong in the room" as much as anything, I believe it's this issue of not standing up for one another. Just one other reason I believe Brindy can reformulate this team into a winning culture, because I believe he reeks that attitude.

• Like 2

Nice “Welcome Saku Maenalanen” video on main site. This is certainly a higher level of production than I’m used to seeing. Well done. ??

Can’t wait for the Svechnikov video.

I've been poking around most of the day on Maenalanen and from some of the stuff I've looked at, a lot of folks over in Finland seem to think he's pretty raw and likely not destined for the NHL.  I do know they had to give him a two-way based on age, but it will be interesting to see him over here and what the plans are.

16 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I've been poking around most of the day on Maenalanen and from some of the stuff I've looked at, a lot of folks over in Finland seem to think he's pretty raw and likely not destined for the NHL.  I do know they had to give him a two-way based on age, but it will be interesting to see him over here and what the plans are.

The one thing I saw on multiple videos is that the guy is always close to the net. Likes to score in close, I saw multiple deflections in tight. Worth a chance,

Here's an interview with Eric Tulsky that provides some insight into how the Canes front office is operating as compared with when RF was in charge.

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/5/16/17361844/carolina-hurricanes-tom-dundon-eric-tulsky-collaboration-don-waddell-rod-brindamour

Hurricanes manager of analytics Eric Tulsky says that the differences since Dundon took ownership of the club are stark:

“It used to be much more one on one or small groups. [Former GM] Ron [Francis] was a collaborative person who liked to get peoples’ input, but he did it in that one on one environment. Tom’s approach is more convening everyone in a room together and get all the opinions on the table at the same time. I have a seat at the table, and so does pretty much everyone else in the organization. I think it is definitely true that people are going to have more input in more areas than they used to. The coaches watch a lot of games. They see a lot of details in what players and what teams are doing. In the current setup they will be at the table more often than not, providing us with the benefits of their insight and expertise.”

I think I'm coming around to this committee thing. Again, I'd sit quietly in the corner if I could be on it.

More.  BTW, I know someone who is a back of the wall participant of the committee but in the past had no say.  I will ask that person what they think soon.  This person is someone you would know, but really operated in isolation.  I'll ask said person their opinion of the new structure sometime in the next few weeks.  Hope to get back to ya'll.  But I gotta say, I am still thinking of giving up the internet.  Because of confidentiality, I've said to this person very little in the past, and will say very little in the future (probably).  I will say said person totally swayed me on Jordan Staal when I learned a few tidbits.   But... I really shouldn't say too much.

I found the below to be awesome:

That type of two-way communication was a part of the old regime, and it seems likely to become even more prevalent over time in the new setup. For that reason, you can bet that the cottage industry of trade rumors that has popped up since Dundon’s pronouncement that no one on the roster is untouchable except Sebastian Aho is a good bit of smoke around not too much fire. There is no fire sale happening on Edwards Mill Road, and the Canes won’t allow themselves to be willingly fleeced on a deal that leaves them behind where they are now.

Change is coming, but it won’t be change for its own sake.

Definitely peaked my interest Xray.

On another note, saw a recent analysis of the top 10 best NHL prospects. This was defined as guys already drafted (or at least not in this upcoming draft), but who have not played a full NHL season. This included D and O. This includes picks from at least the last three previous drafts. #8 was Martin Necas. He was the #6 forward prospect. This is all opinion obviously, but a few years ago one Sebastian Aho was ranked around there.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Definitely peaked my interest Xray.

If people here would dig deep, REALLY deep on Jordan, you would know.  Thank God this season some of that popped to the surface for all of us to see.

And, no, I'm not talking about Canadian bloggers or McKenzie or any of that.  Think differently, on a totally different tangent.  The kind of info that would get you through the loss off your just born child.   This was out there way before that event, but since we are so focused on McKenzie, PuckDaddy and the crazy bloggers in Pitt, it gets lost.

OK.  I'll let it out.  This is here for you to view or not.  Please keep in mind this was produced WAY before his tragic situation.

Viewing is your choice:

Edited by wxray1

BTW, my committee member is not Jordan, obviously.  But this person pointed me to this video and shared some personal interactions that, well, brought me to tears.

Anyway... Let's hope this works out for our team...

15 hours ago, remkin said:

I'd be really surprised if we traded Jordan.

So would I.  And I want to make sure that my posts above don't morph into rumors that we're shopping him (a la the "Hanifin demands" issue) .  Or that I think that we should "upgrade" to ROR, if that were even doable.  It was more me thinking out loud in the context of Dundon's statement given the rumors about Sabres shopping ROR.

Edited by LakeLivin

I was on the "trade Jordan" bandwagon until this past season...now I'm definitely on the "keep him" camp, albeit with an A instead of the C

• Like 1

The NHL making rules and not enforcing them. Hossa is “retiring” but wont sign the papers.  Not signing the papers allows Chicago to skate by (pun intended) without the recapture penalty.  Why have the rule if you don’t uphold the rule when the player announces retirement. 

In the end, cant penalize the big market teams for violating the rules because its hurts the league’s bottom line.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1