The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

with the golden knights going to the cup there hope for the canes next year. I feel hockey is the only sport that a team can go from worst to first 

7 minutes ago, ja1964 said:

with the golden knights going to the cup there hope for the canes next year. I feel hockey is the only sport that a team can go from worst to first 

Wow! You really are new here. One can hope.

5 hours ago, winger52 said:

Hey, if there’s one thing Vegas teaches us it’s that the conventional thinking in the hockey world is getting turned on its head. All the excuses for teams while they “stick to the plan” are rubbish apparently. I’m starting to come around to the idea that Dundon isn’t buying it. He may in the end fail, but good on him for charting a different course. 

• Like 3

On 5/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, wxray1 said:

If people here would dig deep, REALLY deep on Jordan, you would know.  Thank God this season some of that popped to the surface for all of us to see.

And, no, I'm not talking about Canadian bloggers or McKenzie or any of that.  Think differently, on a totally different tangent.  The kind of info that would get you through the loss off your just born child.   This was out there way before that event, but since we are so focused on McKenzie, PuckDaddy and the crazy bloggers in Pitt, it gets lost.

OK.  I'll let it out.  This is here for you to view or not.  Please keep in mind this was produced WAY before his tragic situation.

Viewing is your choice:

Thx wxray1. Here is another good story regarding Jacob Slavin and his faith and his relationship with Sid Graham, the Hurricanes team chaplain. Graham has been with the Hurricanes for 5 years and has worked with many professional teams.  http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article119932118.html.     Slavin's involvement: https://www.hockeyministries.org/camps/locations/raleigh/

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 3:09 PM, LakeLivin said:

Here's an interview with Eric Tulsky that provides some insight into how the Canes front office is operating as compared with when RF was in charge.

https://www.canescountry.com/2018/5/16/17361844/carolina-hurricanes-tom-dundon-eric-tulsky-collaboration-don-waddell-rod-brindamour

Hurricanes manager of analytics Eric Tulsky says that the differences since Dundon took ownership of the club are stark:

“It used to be much more one on one or small groups. [Former GM] Ron [Francis] was a collaborative person who liked to get peoples’ input, but he did it in that one on one environment. Tom’s approach is more convening everyone in a room together and get all the opinions on the table at the same time. I have a seat at the table, and so does pretty much everyone else in the organization. I think it is definitely true that people are going to have more input in more areas than they used to. The coaches watch a lot of games. They see a lot of details in what players and what teams are doing. In the current setup they will be at the table more often than not, providing us with the benefits of their insight and expertise.”

2018_05_09_027_XL.0.jpg

It may look like a balanced committee but the tale of the tape looks to me that TD is giving away about 5 lbs in nose weight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

It may look like a balanced committee but the tale of the tape looks to me that TD is giving away about 5 lbs in nose weight.

Just as long as Marcoux doesn't come back...

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, winger52 said:

with new owner ship I feel something great is going to happen

why is that a surprise 

49 minutes ago, ja1964 said:

why is that a surprise 

Sometimes its difficult for the long suffering to believe there are actually fans who have not been jaded.

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

2018_05_09_027_XL.0.jpg

And if we brought back this guy we may be  a nose ahead of the competition and  be able to sniff the playoffs.

Image result for marcoux goalie coach

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 2

Some intern is going to spend a metric poop ton of time jamming to short blurbs of music.

How do you vote for custom music I don't have the money to offer a band to make for the goal horn? The best goal songs are tailored to the team that the fans can chant along to.

Edited by legend-1

2 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Some intern is going to spend a metric poop ton of time jamming to short blurbs of music.

How do you vote for custom music I don't have the money to offer a band to make for the goal horn? The best goal songs are tailored to the team that the fans can chant along to.

Legend, the first two fields allow you to write more than just the title and artist. Here's what I submitted:

Title: "Boom Boom Out Go The Lights" customized by the artist to: "We're not kiddin'/We're ready to fight/We've been screaming for the Canes all night/Now we've got it goin' right/Boom boom! We lit the light!"

Artist: Pat Travers, a Canadian who would probably love to do it (and the publicity, and to play it live during the playoffs!) The song is well known, it was one of the best-selling live records of all time.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, wxray1 said:

For all you goal song complainers.  Choose your new poison:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/fans/goal-song-fan-vote

This is friggin' awesome, I love it.  I've got a few in mind already but I'm going to give it a couple of days before I submit anything.  Also agree the best goal song should include fan interaction.

Hey, is anybody else finding the CanesCast volume to be crazy low? The intro music is fine but the voices are like whispers with the volume on--uh... 11.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

And if we brought back this guy we may be  a nose ahead of the competition and  be able to sniff the playoffs.

Image result for marcoux goalie coach

I think one qualification to be a goalie coach would have been to be able to wear a goalie mask at some point. It would have been hard to find one to fit over that honker.

• Like 2

With all the deserved excitement about getting the #2 pick and hopefully Svechnikov, it might be a bit distracting from what would have been the big ticket prospect arrival, Martin Necas. I maintain that he is going to be very hard to keep off next year's team, and I'd predict he not only makes it, but provides a lot of smiles in the PNC this year. If you want to get a little more pumped about that check this piece out:

https://www.nhl.com/news/carolina-prospect-martin-necas-close-to-making-nhl-roster/c-298697840

I really think that Svech/Necas and Aho/TT are 4 potential future All Stars.

One thing the Canes could do this year if they do trade Skinner is go young. Zykov and Foegele are NHL ready right now. IMO, so are Svech and Necas. 

Part of me just wonders what a re tooled Skinner might be able to add to that though....

Someone here (sorry I forgot who or I would attribute the comment to you) said they think Skinner needs a playmaking center to get him the puck in scoring areas and someone who will screen the goalie as well as be capable of scoring on rebounds of shots the goalie does stop.  Well, the latter is Zykov and the former is Wallmark, who it seems like everyone has forgotten.

Wallmark was the only Checker who had more than a point per game.  Further he also led the Checkers in scoring the prior season.   In his call ups to the Hurricanes he showed that he was an NHL player.   I think this line combination would work as a strong scoring line.

Chuck,

I've mentioned Wallmark a few times. What he has shown in the AHL suggests he should get a shot. His NHL time though, at least from my vantage has not really been, shall we say Zykovian or Foegeleian. Those guys bust onto the scene both in their play and production. Wallmark's 3 points in 19 games is underwhelming.

To me the thing blocking Wallmark is Rask and his contract. If we can move Rask, Wallmark could center the 4th line. And in my book, I make that a line that could score and thus in small doses Wallmark could show what he can do. I guess it depends on who we pick up and whether Lindy and or Aho stay in the middle too. Just seems that Wallmark's path has more blockaides. Of course if he comes in and kill it in preseason and camp who knows?

I will say this. The last thing we need to do is go pick up another Kruger or McClement forth line center from outside.

And this. Wallmark might be a pretty decent piece of trade bait too. Given what he's done in the AHL as a add on to a deal for Faulk or someone.