The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Are we limited (other than cap concerns) in how many contracts we can buy out? Unless his injuries the past 2 years really hampered him, Rask should be a candidate. It seems like Waddell has made it pretty clear that Darling will get another chance before we give up on him (thanks for everything, Cam), but if he flounders out of the gate again, I think he will have to be bought out. Right now, I’m not seeing where Rask fits with Svech hopefully on the way and so many prospects knocking on the door. And that contract looks untraceable to me. The only caveat is that Waddell and Rod know whether Rask was really held back by an injury last year. If not, I think we’d be better off going forward without him.

7 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Are we limited (other than cap concerns) in how many contracts we can buy out?

I think a team can have at most 3 bought out contracts at a time

1 minute ago, Bonivan said:

I think a team can have at most 3 bought out contracts at a time

So we’re still paying HWSNBN. That leaves 2 available if we have to do it, I guess. Maybe Dundon has enough money to just waive one of these guys and send them to Charlotte. 

As long as the "fourth" line is a legitimate scoring line that gets maybe 10 minutes or so at 5v5, then he could be on that line.  I think the centers next year should be Lindholm, Staal, Rask, and Wallmark.  If Necas outperforms one of those in camp and preseason, then maybe Wallmark slides to right wing.  But, I doubt Necas will be the first scoring line center even if he makes the team.  Also, I think Rask rebounds this year, given his trajectory prior to last season was steadily upward.  I still think his upper end is what would be a solid second-line center for most teams.  I think we will have 2 or 3 scoring lines in the coming season with 1 or 2 balanced lines.  I could see Rask center of a scoring line or the number 2 balanced line (Staal centers the first). 

Geez all that fire power for Tampa and they don’t score over 2 games and 39 minutes?  Rough.  Embarrassing even.

They’ll be good for a long time though.  

It’ll be interesting to see what magic Yzerman pulls this offseason to make them even better.

Edited by gocanes0506

12 hours ago, ChuckBurns said:

As long as the "fourth" line is a legitimate scoring line that gets maybe 10 minutes or so at 5v5, then he could be on that line.  I think the centers next year should be Lindholm, Staal, Rask, and Wallmark.  If Necas outperforms one of those in camp and preseason, then maybe Wallmark slides to right wing.  But, I doubt Necas will be the first scoring line center even if he makes the team.  Also, I think Rask rebounds this year, given his trajectory prior to last season was steadily upward.  I still think his upper end is what would be a solid second-line center for most teams.  I think we will have 2 or 3 scoring lines in the coming season with 1 or 2 balanced lines.  I could see Rask center of a scoring line or the number 2 balanced line (Staal centers the first). 

I don't know. Aho has been ticketed for center since we drafted him and he looked great there with TT and Zykov on his flanks at the end of the year. I have to think Maenalanen slots in there for Zykov and it becomes our "third" line. SeaBass could use a few more pounds on his frame, but even with them he's never going to be the big center who parks himself net-front.

Lindholm can be that big immovable center, IMO, and last season he took a big step in that direction. He found the slot and screened like nobody's business. Barring the acquisition of a Tavares, I think he's poised to slot at 1C, with Zykov and Svech, and Jordan steady-on at 2. 

I agree it's too soon to quit on Rask, especially since he played much of the year with shoulder problems (again). Slot him at 4C until his play allows him to challenge for higher slots--or makes him viable trade bait, which pains me to say. But his injuries could not have been more poorly timed. In a few short years we've gone from a team starved for centers to one with more than there's room for. A good thing, but it probably makes Victor a trading chip as soon as he's healthy and can produce again.

Zykov-Lindholm-Svech

Willy-Jordan-Skinner

TT-Aho-Maenalanen

Martinook-Rask-McGinn 

17 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Zykov-Lindholm-Svech

Willy-Jordan-Skinner

TT-Aho-Maenalanen

Martinook-Rask-McGinn 

Dont hate the lines and barring some GM by committee magic, this is close to the most probable. I doubt we only see one Checker make the forward roster.  Maenlalanen will more than likely start in Charlotte. Foegele should be a RW on the roster.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dont hate the lines and barring some GM by committee magic, this is close to the most probable. I doubt we only see one Checker make the forward roster.  Maenlalanen will more than likely start in Charlotte. Foegele should be a RW on the roster.

I'd be fine with that. I'm just thinking Maenalanen, who is a year older and came up through the same system as TT and Aho, might get an early chance to find some chemistry with them.

58 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Zykov-Lindholm-Svech

Willy-Jordan-Skinner

TT-Aho-Maenalanen

Martinook-Rask-McGinn 

I don't think this is even close to the opening day roster.  I think Skinner is gone and replaced by somebody like JVR, ROR, etc. Every report I've read suggests Maenalanen isn't close to being an NHL'er and I doubt he bumps out some of the upcoming Checkers anyway.  No Necas? 

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I don't think this is even close to the opening day roster.  I think Skinner is gone and replaced by somebody like JVR, ROR, etc. Every report I've read suggests Maenalanen isn't close to being an NHL'er and I doubt he bumps out some of the upcoming Checkers anyway.  No Necas? 

I agree Skinner could be gone, and if so, I hope the return is either of the guys you cite or a bonafide #1 keeper. But until that happens...

As for Necas, his numbers this year were merely good, in leagues much less challenging than the NHL. When he got to the EHT - the best of Europe's best - he went pointless in two games. He was also unremarkable at the IIHFs. Yet he was dominant at the WJC-20; all of which suggests to me that he will struggle in the NHL.

And where do you put him? With one game of NHL experience and having played a total of 54 games overseas last season - including regular season, playoffs, WJC-20, EHT, and IIHF - does he supplant Aho at center? Lindholm? Staal? Do we sit Rask, at $4 million and needing to at least recapture enough form that we can move his contract, to make room for a 19-year-old 178 pounder on an ELC who will doubtless benefit from time in the AHL? That feels a lot like making the same mistakes that were made with Lindholm. 

Necas can be very good, I get that. But Aho was a point-a-game guy in his last year in Liiga, and Necas did not even approach that. Plus there are guys in the system - Wallmark, Roy - who have already played longer seasons on this size ice and who also project to NHL centers. Why rush Necas, at 19, into a role which his numbers suggest he's not yet ready for?   

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Why rush Necas, at 19, into a role which his numbers suggest he's not yet ready for?   

You would need to ask the team, because they keep stating publicly that they expect him to make the jump.

11 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I've seen Carter Hutton mentioned. 

Great another goalie who hasn't had more than a 40 game work load and that work load was 4 years ago.  Let's not fail to mention he plays on a team with a good team defense.  This has Scott Darling all over it.  Hard pass for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Skinner for Rinne would be nice.

Rinne is 35 years old and on the downside of his career.

37 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I've seen Carter Hutton mentioned. 

Hutton is a UFA so no trade needed, but he could pull a Darling. 

• Like 1

Team management has also said Darling is expected back.  If Hutton is acquired as a free agent, he could be a backup or part of as 1A/1B with Darling.  And yes, he could "pull a Darling" but so, too, could any other goalie we acquire.  If you want certainty, you resign Ward and we trade Skinner no later than the trade deadline since we won't be making the playoffs.  And, as far as playing behind a good defense, despite taking a step backwards last year, I still think we have a good defensive team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

You would need to ask the team, because they keep stating publicly that they expect him to make the jump.

But how much is hype? In six preseason games and one regular-season game last year, Necas had one point, an assist on a PPG. At even strength, he managed two shots across those seven games. All I've seen lately about him making the club next year is Michael Smith in tweetmail a month before the IIHF's, saying there's a "really good chance." Since the Worlds, there's this from four days ago, with thoughts of other pros on where he stands in his development. 

2 hours ago, ChuckBurns said:

Team management has also said Darling is expected back.  If Hutton is acquired as a free agent, he could be a backup or part of as 1A/1B with Darling.  And yes, he could "pull a Darling" but so, too, could any other goalie we acquire.  If you want certainty, you resign Ward and we trade Skinner no later than the trade deadline since we won't be making the playoffs.  And, as far as playing behind a good defense, despite taking a step backwards last year, I still think we have a good defensive team.

Welcome Chuck.

46 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

But how much is hype? 

I wouldn't know.  How much is hype when everybody in the org says the team is going to look different?  Anyway, I think it's early to start throwing up lines but don't let me be a wet blanket.  It's anybody's guess right now.

• Like 1

If you would rather resign Ward than keep Darling and try to obtain another competent backup/shared time goaltender, you are also basically saying you are willing to write off making the playoffs next season.  No goaltender who has hopes to be our #1 is likely to sign here as long as Ward remains.  Further, I think the coaching staff will lean on Ward as a crutch just as they did last season and that will doom our playoff hopes no matter what you do with Skinner, Faulk, etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChuckBurns said:

Further, I think the coaching staff will lean on Ward as a crutch just as they did last season and that will doom our playoff hopes no matter what you do with Skinner, Faulk, etc.

Are you saying you think Peters' use of Ward last season doomed our playoff hopes?

10 hours ago, ChuckBurns said:

If you would rather resign Ward than keep Darling and try to obtain another competent backup/shared time goaltender, you are also basically saying you are willing to write off making the playoffs next season.  No goaltender who has hopes to be our #1 is likely to sign here as long as Ward remains.  Further, I think the coaching staff will lean on Ward as a crutch just as they did last season and that will doom our playoff hopes no matter what you do with Skinner, Faulk, etc.

This is exactly right. Make Cam a coach if he wants to stay with the org; he certainly can't be any worse than the parade of payroll vultures goaltending coaches we've had up 'til now. But until he is off the roster entirely, the crease in Raleigh will always be seen as "his."

For me, it getting hard to ignore that the one commonality among all our failed keepers in the recent past is that Cam was the other half of the tandem. He is just good enough to hang onto a job on a bottom-half team, but unable to play consistently great net when called on for more than 30 or so games, and that--consistently great, not merely adequate goaltending--is the difference between top teams and everybody else.

51 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This is exactly right. Make Cam a coach if he wants to stay with the org; he certainly can't be any worse than the parade of payroll vultures goaltending coaches we've had up 'til now. But until he is off the roster entirely, the crease in Raleigh will always be seen as "his."

For me, it getting hard to ignore that the one commonality among all our failed keepers in the recent past is that Cam was the other half of the tandem. He is just good enough to hang onto a job on a bottom-half team, but unable to play consistently great net when called on for more than 30 or so games, and that--consistently great, not merely adequate goaltending--is the difference between top teams and everybody else.

I have read some absurd stuff here but you guys blaming cam for last year is the most absurd yet.  I know you all know the numbers.  How good he was doing as a backup.  Darling if he even was average gets us in the playoffs.  And Cam is the problem????  This is really simple.  Darling sucked.  The darling pick up and not getting a goaltender once he sucked was the biggest problem we had.   

There are other issues but darling being a total bust is the by far the most outstanding.  Blaming cam for darling sucking.  Lol. I just can’t even believe I read that.  Wow 

• Like 5