The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

20 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Well stated OBXer!!

You know I mostly feel the same way, however playing NHL17 I played 1 game in Whalers jerseys against the Stars and put them in Cleveland Barons jerseys. Being from Cleveland originally I would like to see that. As long as it isnt just the Canes and no more then 1 game a year. 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Didnt smallman make the squad but was hurt in early/ preseason even? Was out until January and sent down to ECHL to get his legs back

That's true. He should be back in Charlotte next year

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Playing has to be a lot better than watching.

Addictive is the appropriate word. I typically play 3x per week, three hours per session.

I'm guessing there's a bunch of "dinking" in the games you're watching, where people are basically waiting for the other side to miss-hit the ball. No fun. I and most of those I play with are slammers who mix in dinks purely to open up shooting lanes for clean winners. It's super-intense and a killer workout.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Addictive is the appropriate word. I typically play 3x per week, three hours per session.

I'm guessing there's a bunch of "dinking" in the games you're watching, where people are basically waiting for the other side to miss-hit the ball. No fun. I and most of those I play with are slammers who mix in dinks purely to open up shooting lanes for clean winners. It's super-intense and a killer workout.

This was a pro doubles match. They stood about 10 feet apart, and whacked the ball back and forth. They were not slamming many. They were dinking it with a lot of spin. I was a bit surprised they were not trying to drill the guy on the other side of the net since they were so close. 

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

This was a pro doubles match. They stood about 10 feet apart, and whacked the ball back and forth. They were not slamming many. They were dinking it with a lot of spin. I was a bit surprised they were not trying to drill the guy on the other side of the net since they were so close. 

They may have been, but the fact that it's a wiffle ball slows the pace just enough that good players will get it back.

There are (at least) two schools of strategy. One is what you're watching, and is what pros "expect" people to play. The other is to approach it as doubles tennis on a smaller court, using dinks like you would drop shots (mainly to force opponents out of position and open lanes for winners down the line or through the middle) and lobs to send your opponents scrambling.

The coolest aspect is the wiffle ball. It helps balls land in whether you use back or topspin, since the holes "bite" the air regardless. Backspin slows it just enough to fool the opponent like a change-up fools a batter. They get out in front and either whiff or hit it OB. You can also twist opponents into pretzels as they try to compensate for backspin on lobs; they run back and get to it, but the ball bounces straight up and by the time they realize it, they have to lunge to try to make contact, typically netting it. (Chiropractors love that shot.) Though rare, I've also seen balls, hit high with lots of backspin, land just over the net and bounce back over, to the team that struck the shot, before the receiving team could get a paddle on it. For anyone that likes stick-and-ball games, it's a really fun sport. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I woke up this morning and accidentally ended up on the "2018 Raleigh Pickleball ?Season" discussion. 

?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I woke up this morning and accidentally ended up on the "2018 Raleigh Pickleball ?Season" discussion. 

?

Could be worse.  We had a meet the neighbors pow wow here last night.  Hung over this morning I go mountain biking.   Went straight over the handle bars into a poison Ivey patch.  To make things worse, it was right near where a fox had a den with kids.  Fox proceeds to attack my bike.  It literally took me 45 minutes to get my bike back from this damn fox.

21 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Didnt smallman make the squad but was hurt in early/ preseason even? Was out until January and sent down to ECHL to get his legs back.  At that point Charlotte was set and he was going to get more PT in Florida.  Not sure though.

questions on contracts, do contracts count until july 1st or after the season is over?  If its July 1st, it could explain why we didn’t sign them two.  We couldn’t until some of these elder Checkers fall off.  With the Geekie and Maelanen signings we ran out of spots.  Again not sure but a thought.

I guess we're at the point in the season where we're either talking about whether our 5th round pick from 2015 started in the AHL or ECHL, or we're talking pickle ball strategy. But that's what this time of year is. Either talk about a single series, or well this.

So, with that in mind. The only thing I remember was surprise that Smallman was not on the Checkers at the start of the season. He was also not initially listed on the Everblades roster, but ended up on it after his injury. But then he only saw 14 games before the playoffs. Of interest, he has 28 points in 32 games about evenly split between playoffs and regular season. He has 15 points in 18 playoff games. They're nearly all assists in both cases. 

Certainly with all of our depth ahead of him, it's a long shot for him to make the NHL, but from what I'ver heard from our head scout and others is that he has that heart of a lion, leadership thing down. And he had a very strong final junior hockey playoff run. This is the guy at one point compared with Scotty Walker. I would like to think he gets a shot in the AHL next year. It probably won't hurt that a character guy like him might be coming from a Championship team.

So snow and weight were relieved today.  

Tavares was close with both supposedly.  Go get Weight as an assistant coach to entice Tavares?  Maybe, just maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

So snow and weight were relieved today.  

Tavares was close with both supposedly.  Go get Weight as an assistant coach to entice Tavares?  Maybe, just maybe.

I was going to say get Weight regardless.  He whipped that team in shape as best as he could.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I was going to say get Weight regardless.  He whipped that team in shape as best as he could.

Hell, get Snow too. Then get him some goalie pads.

I dunno, the new rules on chest protectors coming into effect next season stating the shoulders should round off and follow the body versus boxing off might hurt him. Hell if we still have Darling I'm wondering how much more that will effect him.

Image result for garth snow pictures

52 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I dunno, the new rules on chest protectors coming into effect next season stating the shoulders should round off and follow the body versus boxing off might hurt him. Hell if we still have Darling I'm wondering how much more that will effect him.

He never let the rules stop him.

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

I hadn't heard that, but I think I found a work around.  Just get a goalie whose shoulders box off instead of round off.  I've got a guy in mind:

Tweeter+Head+Herman+Munster+Maquette+004

Edited by LakeLivin

According to nhlnumbers.com, as of right now, we have the most cap space in the NHL heading into the offseason -  35+ million.  If we trade Skinner, that will be around 41 million.  We have RFAs to resign:  TVR, Lindholm, Zykov, Hanifan.  That should not cost more than 10M per year for all of them.  With those guys and factor in the Skinner trade we will have 18 NHL playersplayers under contract.  We need to fill 5 slots (1D, 1G, 3F) and have at least 30M in cap space to do it.  1D and 1F should be guys on entry level contracts (McKeown, Foegle, Wallmark for example).  Depending on what you get back for Skinner (it should be a decent return) spend your money to fill the other spots.  Of course if we trade Faulk we will have an extra D spot to fill, but another 5 M in cap space to do it.

I guess what I am saying is that, we have the flexibility to be very creative, and can afford a guy like RoR, Kessel, Quick, Drew Doughty (1 year left on contract), or many others....  The options are out there and we can get the value Dundon insists on, if we do our homework.

• Like 2

Nice read gocanes. 

As I obsess with the dream of Tavares and the hopes for Svech and Necas, and while we've seen flashes from guys like Foegele and Zykov, it is great to remember how much young talent there is beyond those names.

I was really keyed in on the Kuok and Gauthier stuff. I tend to forget that Kuok was playing the AHL during a year most guys are still dominating in Junior hockey. This was a guy who did not look out of place in NHL preseason. It is great to hear that his game built as the year went on. 

And Gauthier. So much promise when we drafted him and such a slow start in the AHL initially. But it really sounds like he is done complaining and has worked to find a pro game. This is still a guy with skill, size and an NHL shot.  Still so much upside for him.

Don't think it's been mentioned here, but Pierre LeBrun came out today and said he definitely expects Skinner to be traded, possibly within the next 7-10 days.  He says GMDW has the hottest phone line in the league, and Skinner's name is a hot commodity.  The going rate right now seems to be a 1st round pick and a top prospect.  That type of return leads me to believe he already has someone of a similar contract waiting in the wings as a replacement, possibly Kovalchuck or JVR.  LeBrun also said we are in contention to land Grubauer from Washington.  Price tag could be high, but Washington has no cap room as leverage, so we'd have to outbid another team (he also mentioned NYI).

49 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

also said we are in contention to land Grubauer from Washington.

That might be our answer

• Like 2