Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

If he has any self respect he’ll leave the team in June or July and go back to Toronto Pittsburgh where people will still buy him beers, and he can help JR decimate the next organization.

 

Fixed that.

 

I agree that TD will turn everything upside down, and I'm all for it. We fans complain about not being bad enough to get top picks and not being good enough to get into the dance, but I think too few of us understand what that really means: The team has been more than halfway there - call it two-thirds - for 10 years, under three different coaches, ranging from one the NHL's winningest to an absolute rookie to now, a journeyman with a 20-year rep for developing young talent.

 

Being two-thirds of the way there for 10 years regardless of coaching says one (obvious) thing: Management has consistently iced two-thirds of the guys needed to win three-thirds of the time.

 

The best comment from Dundon yesterday (for me) was "We could have 19 new guys or we could have zero. But I can promise you it will be somewhere in between. It won't be zero." I'm hoping for at least four, two or three of which are FAs/trades. But I'm tempering that hope because of something else Dundon said: "Free agents are available for a reason. I don't think there's many cases where free agents have come in and teams have immediately become successful." (Note that I'm quoting from memory; these are not exact but capture TD's meaning.)

 

He's right, and everybody screaming "Get Tavares!!" needs to remember one thing (if he becomes available, which I seriously doubt): the Isles have been about two-thirds of the way there for most of the past 10 years too--WITH this  (supposed) dynamic leader/scorer.

 

Winning is about attitude more than any one thing--or person. So I'm hoping for strategic additions, like Willy--veteran guys whose number-one thing is freakin' hating to lose. JVR and Stastny are two such guys. Put them on a line with Lindholm, go Skinner-Jordo-Willy and TT-Aho-Kykov, and you've got three scoring lines. Keep Rask and Nordstrom and put McGinn with them on the fourth line. Re-up Ryan as a healthy extra. Move PDG. And put both him and Lindholm on notice: It's time to be the players we signed them to be, night in and night out, and if they so much as trip getting out of the gate, we have guys - Wallmark and Foegele - waiting to take their jobs.

 

On D, move both Hanifin and Faulk out, for the biggest possible return. Promote McKeown. Give Dahlbeck a full-time job. Get a DeHaan or Gudbranson or Ian Cole as your seventh. But whomever it is, they must want to win, every single night.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to catch it yesterday.  This is what I took away

 

- He is all about getting value from things.  He's not going to get into FA bidding wars for overpriced talent.  So if we you are expecting a splash on July 1st, prepare to be disappointed.  If we have a few holes to fill, he will fill them.

 

- That said, I fully expect him to make some hockey trades this off-season, with picks, prospects and minor leaguers.  I think we will be very active between the finals and the draft.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us trading some draft picks for some players. We are in a position now where our farm system is in good shape.  If we can improve our club by trading picks in this year's draft, I think we will do it.

 

- Other than Aho, Slavin, Teravainen, and perhaps Pesce and Staal (in that order), the existing roster should keep my summer plans flexible as I might have to move my family to another city.  "We have to either make our players tougher, or, get tougher players."  Quote of the day, IMO.

 

- We are not going to have that same "family feel" that the Hurricanes have had in the past.  If the front office thinks a move is an upgrade, they will make it.  There will be no sentiment involved.  He even said, "Our job (management) is to replace you (the existing guys) with better players".  

 

So yes it was not very exciting, but taken as a whole he said what needed to be said.  Now he needs to make it happen, starting with the right GM.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not seeing anything about how youse guys feel about TVR.  I think he had a pretty good year and was a good 3-4 defenseman, maybe even 1-2.  Could also be a bargaining chip to get JVR.

 

looking at the rest of the UFAs, I’m not seeing a lot of obvious fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

 

Fixed that.

 

I agree that TD will turn everything upside down, and I'm all for it. We fans complain about not being bad enough to get top picks and not being good enough to get into the dance, but I think too few of us understand what that really means: The team has been more than halfway there - call it two-thirds - for 10 years, under three different coaches, ranging from one the NHL's winningest to an absolute rookie to now, a journeyman with a 20-year rep for developing young talent.

 

Being two-thirds of the way there for 10 years regardless of coaching says one (obvious) thing: Management has consistently iced two-thirds of the guys needed to win three-thirds of the time.

 

The best comment from Dundon yesterday (for me) was "We could have 19 new guys or we could have zero. But I can promise you it will be somewhere in between. It won't be zero." I'm hoping for at least four, two or three of which are FAs/trades. But I'm tempering that hope because of something else Dundon said: "Free agents are available for a reason. I don't think there's many cases where free agents have come in and teams have immediately become successful." (Note that I'm quoting from memory; these are not exact but capture TD's meaning.)

 

He's right, and everybody screaming "Get Tavares!!" needs to remember one thing (if he becomes available, which I seriously doubt): the Isles have been about two-thirds of the way there for most of the past 10 years too--WITH this  (supposed) dynamic leader/scorer.

 

Winning is about attitude more than any one thing--or person. So I'm hoping for strategic additions, like Willy--veteran guys whose number-one thing is freakin' hating to lose. JVR and Stastny are two such guys. Put them on a line with Lindholm, go Skinner-Jordo-Willy and TT-Aho-Kykov, and you've got three scoring lines. Keep Rask and Nordstrom and put McGinn with them on the fourth line. Re-up Ryan as a healthy extra. Move PDG. And put both him and Lindholm on notice: It's time to be the players we signed them to be, night in and night out, and if they so much as trip getting out of the gate, we have guys - Wallmark and Foegele - waiting to take their jobs.

 

On D, move both Hanifin and Faulk out, for the biggest possible return. Promote McKeown. Give Dahlbeck a full-time job. Get a DeHaan or Gudbranson or Ian Cole as your seventh. But whomever it is, they must want to win, every single night.

I agree with most of your comments here, top, but have 1 thought. The 4th paragraph about Tavares to me fails to take into account Tavares' inability to bring about desired rewards for the Isles, was in THEIR SYSTEM, very much parallel to how E Staal blossomed once away from here. Thus the truism "maybe it takes a change of scenery"? IDK, maybe your thought is accurate and we could never get nor be much further toward the goal of playoff hockey with Tavares, but I sure as heck would like to try that ride?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Peters is out.  Too many bungles on many fronts.   Do I think on a different team he would have done better? With Better Goal tending ? Little more scoring? yes.. but he made too many strange calls, overtime player combos etc.. ... and I"m still not sure who made the Co-Captain a thing here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said there was nothing there but I do recall one thing I liked.  He acknowledged several times that we are a soft team.  We never admitted it really before, but he did, and it was clear he realizes it is an issue.  So he knows we need to be tougher.  He alluded to telling the guys they need to make it happen (i.e. get stronger in the offseason), and of course the flipside to that is, if you don't, well we'll get someone who will.

 

So I did like that.

Edited by hag65
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to get into work, but before I go, just want to cite a must read reference for all. It's today's Canes Country piece under Storm Advisory written by Brian LeBlanc, about 2/3rds way down, there's an article on Ryan O'Reilly's exit interview that is eye opening, on his "burn out". Granted it's just his single feeling and relates to Buffalo's absence from playoff hockey for sigh, 8 years. Just wonder how much of that is in Canes' locker room, and as relates to Dundon's now expressed desire for whole sale changes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group." Today?  I heard he won't trade just to make a trade and also doesn't like free agency.  So.....

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group

 

I think he actually said except for Aho I don't like this group and changes are coming. I guess we all hear thing differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MisterDobz said:

I’m not seeing anything about how youse guys feel about TVR.  I think he had a pretty good year and was a good 3-4 defenseman, maybe even 1-2.  Could also be a bargaining chip to get JVR.

 

looking at the rest of the UFAs, I’m not seeing a lot of obvious fits.

I've posted my support for TVR often. Huge as his misses on Jooris and Kruger were, RF totally killed it on Trevor. He has been great and looks like a shooter in the o-zone. I have a feeling there's more scoring in him, and his connection with Pesce thru UNH is a plus room-wise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group." Today?  I heard he won't trade just to make a trade and also doesn't like free agency.  So.....

Here's a thought: actually read about and watch it for yourself:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/5-takeaways-tom-dundon-end-of-season-news-conference/c-297856950

(This should be interesting...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Here's a thought: actually read about and watch it for yourself:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/5-takeaways-tom-dundon-end-of-season-news-conference/c-297856950

(This should be interesting...)

Bonus points to the author for the "Anchorman" reference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this? He said basically nothing and everything all at the same time on purpose. He doesn't really want everyone to know what he's doing. The last time he told everybody what he was doing he got slayed in the press.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

I think he actually said except for Aho I don't like this group and changes are coming. I guess we all hear thing differently.

 

I got to listen to it again and it has changed my initial impression. TD didn't fall for any of the bait questions and tried to be as non-committing as possible. The impression I got is yea, he probably did low-ball GM applicants. He already knows who he wants moved first chance they get and who will get a second chance but kept on a short leash, no matter if it's in the off-season or any time during next season. With the exception of Aho, no one is safe.        

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group." Today?  I heard he won't trade just to make a trade and also doesn't like free agency.  So.....

 

 

He was rather cryptic and noncommittal, but the one thing i definitely didn't hear was 'we like our group' or any similar sentiment.  It sounded to me like he had no loyalty to any of them and that no job is safe.  Mind you he could be a colossal failure, but more from going over board in not liking our group than liking it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group." Today?  I heard he won't trade just to make a trade and also doesn't like free agency.  So.....

I didn’t hear that at all. He said he was not fond of free agents (I think he’s wrong here - some are castoffs as he said, but others are available for reasons other than being underachievers), but indicated he was ready to make trades to upgrade where necessary. With the exception of Aho, he put the whole team on notice that they were replaceable. That’s what I heard anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Was it just me or did Dundon basically say:  "We like our group." Today?  I heard he won't trade just to make a trade and also doesn't like free agency.  So.....

 

Sorry man, It was just you.  I heard the exact opposite.  He said we could have 0 new players or 19 new players, but the number will be somewhere in between.

Edited by ironman87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Very rarely do teams go to free agency and add assets and feel like that was a good idea."

 

I rest my case.  That statement says it all.  That is a direct quote by the way.

Edited by bluedevil58

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

"Very rarely do teams go to free agency and add assets and feel like that was a good idea."

 

I rest my case.  That statement says it all.  That is a direct quote by the way.

 

He also said 0 to 19 players could be changed and it won't be 0. It did surprise me that he seemed to close the door on free agency but he certainly didn't say or even imply he liked this group. I think if you go back and listen he said quite the opposite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

He also said 0 to 19 players could be changed and it won't be 0. It did surprise me that he seemed to close the door on free agency but he certainly didn't say or even imply he liked this group. I think if you go back and listen he said quite the opposite. 

 

I think this statement and the one BD58 are loaded comments.

 

A. He knows the team will change but, he cant put a number on it (just plain stupid to do so).  If it isnt at least 4 new players then, the new GM has failed.

B. I'd bet he knows our history of signing big UFAs and the likelihood of us doing it this year is fairly slim.  We dont have the history that these players, their parents, and/or grandparents grew up fans of the team and gives us that nostalgic signing advantage. Our practice facility is hot garbage (although it will change, eventually). Our recent history is less than stellar and players arent clamoring to be a part of it.  In the end he isnt going to say we will sign 3 HUGE UFAs this off-season to turn us around.  Because well, there isnt a guarantee we even get 1.  Got to control the expectations.

C.  History across all sports shows how difficult it is to build a team through FA.  Even more so when you have 4-5 holes that need to be filled.  1 can be a solid add that will can put you over the top.  But multiple FAs in an off-season rarely works out.  Again I'd bet he is trying to control expectations.  

 

We just have to be ready to expect the unexpected.  Also be ready to be disappointed.  This is the biggest off-season of any I can remember.  We are all expecting this huge turnaround with a spending owner.  In the end we probably wont see a huge turnover that makes look like a serious playoff team. TBH most teams dont work out with a huge turnover over a single off-season.  I know I'll have to tailor my own expectations because I will more than likely be disappointed with the result as well.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This lowball offer thing is really going to haunt Dundon.  The Toronto media won't let it go.  Heard the $400k number used again today on XM as a snarky comeback to a caller talking about Garth Snow.

 

Like it or not, the word is "Dundon is cheap."  That's going to take some work to undo.  Reality really doesn't matter.  Perception is reality, especially when being constantly repeated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One way to change the cheap thing would be to back up the cash truck and dump it on John Tavares.

 

Not saying he'd come here, but it would get rid of the cheap label, oh and with a better goalie, make us contenders with two moves.

 

The other way would be to throw some cash at JVR.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...