The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

I’d expect all the draft class, last years class and fox to be at development camp. Anyone seen a roster of invitees?  I saw on Twitter that a C was invited, Matthew Struthers.  I haven’t seen anything else though.

I'm a little bit bored after all the fun we had yesterday, so I thought I would post a line-up based on the players we have under contract today.  I am counting RFAs as under contract since we traded the two that were going to be difficult to sign.  I am also counting Svechnikov because surely he is going to sign.  This can give us an idea of where we need to improve in other trades and FA,  Obviously, this is just for fun and not a prediction at all.  Positions are just as I see them based on our current roster (I know Dougie is RD).

Turbo       Aho         Svechnikov

Skinner    Rask        Necas

McGinn    Staal        Williams

Martinook Wallmark Ferland

DiGi

Slavin      Pesce

Hamilton  Faulk

Fluery      TVR

Carrick

Darling

Ned

40 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Turbo       Aho         Svechnikov

Skinner    Rask        Necas

McGinn    Staal        Williams

Martinook Wallmark Ferland

DiGi

Don't forget Zykov!

4 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Don't forget Zykov!

I know Zykov's initial splash was a little bit bigger, but I'm guessing that Foegele ultimately does more for the Canes this year than does Zykov.  Pure speculation with nothing to back it up.

Edited by LakeLivin

That's just pessimism for the sake of pessimism, these are the big weeks at least let them play out before you prep the noose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I know Zykov's initial splash was a little bit bigger, but I'm guessing that Foegele ultimately does more for the Canes this year than does Zykov.  Pure speculation with nothing to back it up.

You may be right. It'll be fun to watch.  

11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

If it's Mongo and Ned in between the pipes next season, we're screwed...just sayin.

That depends entirely on how much both of them are done with the bus. I expect Ned to come to camp determined to make the team, and Darling determined to prove he belongs here. Both are good things.

No way we go into the season with Darling and Ned in goal. For all Cam’s faults, he was in much better position to move up to #1 when Mongo crashed than a rookie with zero NHL starts and a so-so save percentage in the A last year. Waddell said this would be resolved in 10 days, so let’s see what he can do. I see someone like Hutton or Anderson being brought in to compete with Darling for the starter’s job. Without a credible plan B to Darling, the season is already on shaky ground. As for Ned, we’ll, the best GM happened to be already in the Canes management after Francis was fired, the best HC was an assistant for 7 years of non-playoff hockey, and the best new assistant was a scout demoted from our AHL head coaching job, so there could be some precedent for just bringing him in as Darling’s backup.

39 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

No way we go into the season with Darling and Ned in goal. 

I agree, I think we acquire a UFA keeper or make a hockey trade for a bonafide #1, probably the former, and the three fight it out. Loser goes to CLT. If it's Darling he gets at least two months there while Ned watches most games but plays in 4 or 5, to deepen his taste of NHL hockey.

Win. Win. Win.

As long as Cam is here is will be the too-easy excuse for guys to underperform. We need to thank him for his service, maybe even give him a coaching job if he doesn't intend to keep playing--but move on.

42 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

No way we go into the season with Darling and Ned in goal. For all Cam’s faults, he was in much better position to move up to #1 when Mongo crashed than a rookie with zero NHL starts and a so-so save percentage in the A last year. Waddell said this would be resolved in 10 days, so let’s see what he can do. I see someone like Hutton or Anderson being brought in to compete with Darling for the starter’s job. Without a credible plan B to Darling, the season is already on shaky ground. As for Ned, we’ll, the best GM happened to be already in the Canes management after Francis was fired, the best HC was an assistant for 7 years of non-playoff hockey, and the best new assistant was a scout demoted from our AHL head coaching job, so there could be some precedent for just bringing him in as Darling’s backup.

Bring in Anderson for a one year contract and let him and Darling fight it out for the #1 spot. If Darling can't make it move him down to Charlotte and let Ned be Anderson understudy given him some starting games to see what he is capable of doing in the NHL.

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Don't forget Zykov!

Yeah that was tough when I made the line-up, but I think somebody has to move out to make room for him.  For example, if we traded Rask, Necas move to center and we have a RW spot available.

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

If it's Mongo and Ned in between the pipes next season, we're screwed...just sayin.

Yep.  That's the biggest need for sure.

Also need a LD that can play with Dougie.

10 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Yeah that was tough when I made the line-up, but I think somebody has to move out to make room for him.  For example, if we traded Rask, Necas move to center and we have a RW spot available.

I'm not sure how you keep the AHL's top goal scorer off the roster. I'm not sure you do, particularly on a goal-starved team. Necas is supposedly ticketed for C anyway. I'd rather he play at least half a season in CLT. He has little experience on North American rinks, is still small, and hasn't played anything like an 82-game schedule up til now. You can fit 112 Czech Republics inside the boundaries of the U.S. (i.e., not including Canada). His 41 games covering that tiny geography is nothing like 82, and maybe more, covering the two largest countries of North America.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Necas is supposedly ticketed for C anyway. I'd rather he play at least half a season in CLT.

I hope the team takes this route rather than forcing him to the wing.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'd wait until they see how he does in camp and pre season games. He might be ready, but if there is even a bit of doubt, I would take the cautious route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Me too. Let him develop at the position he's destined to play, and adapt to the rigors of playing a lot more often.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

Predict how many points Svechnikov will have this season .  i think he will get  33 goals and 27 assists 60 points . 

That is bold.  Im saying 22gs and 30 assists if put on the right line.

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

52 points not to shabby 

I think 52 is too much to put on the kid but he is capable.  Man 33 goals though.  He is really good but that is a bunch for a rookie.  I hope you are more right than me in the end.