The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think 52 is too much to put on the kid but he is capable.  Man 33 goals though.  He is really good but that is a bunch for a rookie.  I hope you are more right than me in the end.

Here is something that is interesting to look at . No automatic alt text available.

23 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Predict how many points Svechnikov will have this season .  i think he will get  33 goals and 27 assists 60 points . 

How many goals/points did Skinner have as a rookie? I think 30+ goals. Not sure about points. Hopefully, Svech can match or exceed that.

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Congratulations to Raleigh's own Tyler Weiss who was drafted by the Avs in the fourth round.

image.png.503601a3f7bda798347df73faff8d6a8.png

Fourth round and we couldn't step up for a home grown talent?  Congratulations Tyler!

Edited by winger52

Just now, winger52 said:

Fourth round and we couldn't step up for a home grown talent?

There might of been  a few  reasons as to why  the canes didnt make a move on him . Im hoping  he has succeeds .  

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Predict how many points Svechnikov will have this season .  i think he will get  33 goals and 27 assists 60 points . 

That is ambitious, but not out of the question.

Man this overspending teams keep getting out like bandits with the cap going up. With Carlson's signing Washington has 13 million in cap space with the need to sign 2 defenders and 2 forwards just to get a 20 person roster.  That is not counting getting a decent backup goalie. 

10 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

That is not counting getting a decent backup goalie. 

You mean Cam?  LOL

Washington would work out really well for Cam, he can play a few years there and retire back to NC without really needing to uproot his family. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Waddell will be on SiriusXMNHL this morning at 8:02 for those subscribers.

A couple of interesting personal things said by Waddell in that interview.

He played exactly 1 game in the NHL.  He played D, ran into his teammate on his first shift, they both fell, allowed a breakaway as a result, score.   Finished -1.  Got the original score sheet from the league office eventually and has been getting it signed for years.

Almost made the 1980 Miracle on Ice team.  Got hurt 3 weeks before the games and got cut as a result.  As I was thinking of the obvious joke, he did it for me, "I feel like I contributed to the gold medal.  By getting hurt, I wasn't on the team and I could have cost us the gold."

I appreciated him giving himself the smackdown.  :)   He is actually quite personable, I can see why TD likes him.

Yea I did enjoy the story of hearing about the one game he played in for LA.  

For some details to the story.  It was his first shift in the NHL.  The opposing player came at him for a one v one.  His teammate decided to come across and try to hip the guy. the teammate hip-checked him instead and both fell to the ice. The opposing player scored.  DW said "you never forget a first shift like that."  

Excerpt from TD interview with Adam Gold:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/q-a-hurricanes-owner-fully-focused-on-roster-improvement-after-fun-draft-experience/17653651/

We’re all doing a lot of work on it. We’re investing a lot of time with Scott Darling, and he’s investing his own time and energy to try to do better. He moved to Raleigh, bought a house. He’s there working out. He’s undeniably talented and had a really good track record until he had a tough year this year. There’s some real tangible, obvious things that contributed to that situation that we’re all addressing together, including him, because he’s the key to it. That’s an asset, that’s a person that we have that we have to get the best out of.

At the same time, the culture of the team is supposed to be highly competitive and you have to earn your spot. While he’s trying to earn that spot, we’ve got to find more competition. There are lots of choices, and hopefully we’ll make a good one. We’ve got a lot going on there, but most importantly we have to get the most out of the asset we’ve got.

Correct me if I’m wrong – you’d be comfortable with Scott Darling as your goaltender going into next year based on what you’ve seen and what his level of commitment is?

Well, if he earns it, right? I’m comfortable that we’re going to have two really good choices and we won’t be sitting here next year talking about goaltending as the reason that – if we’re not successful, that won’t be why. I’m pretty comfortable with that. We have enough things going on that we’ll have enough choices that we won’t look back and think this was the problem.

If Scott Darling is part of the mix, does that mean Cam Ward cannot be since that dynamic didn't work last year?

I don’t know about that. It didn't work and we can’t change the past, but we still have to make the best decision today, and Scott is doing the things he needs to do, Cam is working hard and we’re working hard to try to find – as we’ve always said – better players than the ones we’ve got. If we can do that, we will, and if we can’t then we’ll go with the best players available to us.

I don’t think anything is closed for us. In general, the philosophy is going to be to continue to look at all of our options every day and push the players we’ve got to do the things they need to do to be better. Different is not always better. We didn't go into this thinking we had to do anything. There are things we would have been open to doing, but it’s not as if - the players we traded are really good players and they’re going to be really good somewhere else.

There was nothing wrong with those players. If Cam Ward plays for us or somebody else, he’s going to be a good player. If Scott Darling does the things I think he can do, he’ll be a good player. Whether or not they’ll all good players here or somewhere else, time will tell.

Edited by hopper915

To add to TD excerpts provided by hopper:

TD pushed for the day game during the fair

Jersey was being worked on before TD.  He is wanting to wear the black and red as much as possible.  Wear a lot less white.

one maybe two games wearing the Whalers jersey

I would say TD is very excited about the moves from the draft once they happened.  He seems very confident that the goalie situation will be resolved.  Something must be close to being done.  

He loves Svech the person as much as the Svech the hockey player. He siad Svech was trying to clean up everyone's dirty plates in the suite during draft night. Also said we may dial him back on his physicality some.

Edited by gocanes0506

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gleason has been hired as head of defensive development.

Good hire.  teach these kids some hard nosed, physical hockey.

Wesley to Gleason? I feel sure Gleason will be a good hire, but wonder if Wesley left on his own terms. Except for Brindy, having your jersey in the rafters has not been very positive.

21 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

To add to TD excerpts provided by hopper:

TD pushed for the day game during the fair

Jersey was being worked on before TD.  He is wanting to wear the black and red as much as possible.  Wear a lot less white.

one maybe two games wearing the Whalers jersey

I would say TD is very excited about the moves from the draft once they happened.  He seems very confident that the goalie situation will be resolved.  Something must be close to being done.  

He loves Svech the person as much as the Svech the hockey player. He siad Svech was trying to clean up everyone's dirty plates in the suite during draft night. Also said we may dial him back on his physicality some.

I wonder how upset former Whalers fans there would be if  the canes came out  wearing  the OG Uniforms ?  I heard a while back from Mike Maniscalco say that the goal  theme song would be the Brass Bonanza  , I can never be to sure  if that is legit or not .  

11 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

One of my favorite Canes, Grumpy Gleason.  He was a warrior.

Grumpy Gleason is one of my all time favorite Hurricanes.  It's ashamed that his legs betrayed him, or maybe it was just the nature of the game changing to make him less effective.  We'll always have "Down goes Kulemin.  He got him right in the beak" and the fishbowl game against the Caps where he scored the shorty after catching an Ovie slapshot with his face and had to wear the fishbowl.

This team needs some Tim Gleason and some Scotty Walker right about now

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1