The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

A few random thoughts from me.

Wesley:

Waaaay back in '06, I remember listening to a long Wesley interview on XM, from the beach.  I really got the impression he was enjoying Carolina and looking to retirement.  In retrospect, those guys spent a lot of time relaxing after the The Cup.  (And I really don't blame them.)  We never saw much of Wesley.  I wonder if his renewed interest in the game as a coach had more to do with his son's progress?  In any case, I never got the feeling he had burning fire to coach.  This in no way makes him less in my eyes.  It was just the feeling I got.  So, yeah, I wonder if it is mutual.

TD on Darling:

Here's my business-speak interpretation...  This asset is a value stock.   I could take a long term write off, but before I do, I want to extract whatever value I can get out of it before either promoting it back to my main main portfolio or selling it off.  I see deep value in there somewhere.  Let's work on getting it out.  It is going to involve some pain and work.

Whalers:

2 games?  No.

• Like 2

We are definitely seeing an increase in sandpaper on this team.  Invest in sandpaper futures.

• Like 2

I’m sure that Dundon was just covering his bases, but but he sounds a lot like Ron Francis at the thought of keeping the goalie tandem in tact. He seems to think he can fix Darling suggesting the problems they are aware of and they’re fixable. I get trying to fix Darling, but going with the same tandem? Nyet!

I don’t think they will, but he sure didn’t rule it out.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

I’m sure that Dundon was just covering his bases, but but he sounds a lot like Ron Francis at the thought of keeping the goalie tandem in tact. He seems to think he can fix Darling suggesting the problems they are aware of and they’re fixable. I get trying to fix Darling, but going with the same tandem? Nyet!

I don’t think they will, but he sure didn’t rule it out.

maybe just blowing very positive smoke to increase a trade likelihood :letssee:

Being in shape is only one of his problems, I don't see how being in shape's fixing that glove, that 5 hole and the full panic mode he goes into when the puck is right in front of him. Anytime the puck was within 5 feet of him he'd try to anticipate where it was going and flail in that direction rather then let the play come to him.

Hurricanes are going to have to be in full positive mode with him, if we crap on him then we can never trade him but I'd rather hear he's spending as much time with a goalie coach as he is strength and conditioning.

• Like 1

Rem, I imagine the plan is to bring in another partner for Darling. Cam is the stepsister fall back, not the preferred options but better than getting stoodup.

Legend, I imagine it is full on with S&C until he gets into shape. No point trying to get him comfortable in the net until he is in the right shape for it.

JT Miller signed a 5.25 m per deal with TB. Man their cap space is getting more and more tight.

They have 16 million in defense coming off next season (4 players) but they need to get back fills for those players and re-sign Kucherov and Point.  Then their goaltender and Sergachev the next off-season.  That belt will get tight.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Gleason has been hired as head of defensive development.

Good hire.  teach these kids some hard nosed, physical hockey.

Bring in Scott Walker for the forwards.

I was at the Caps game when he tried to eat that puck. Thoroughly amazed to see him back on the ice in that game . That's some big stones.

Edited by winger52
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wxray1 said:

A few random thoughts from me.

Wesley:

Waaaay back in '06, I remember listening to a long Wesley interview on XM, from the beach.  I really got the impression he was enjoying Carolina and looking to retirement.  In retrospect, those guys spent a lot of time relaxing after the The Cup.  (And I really don't blame them.)  We never saw much of Wesley.  I wonder if his renewed interest in the game as a coach had more to do with his son's progress?  In any case, I never got the feeling he had burning fire to coach.  This in no way makes him less in my eyes.  It was just the feeling I got.  So, yeah, I wonder if it is mutual.

TD on Darling:

Here's my business-speak interpretation...  This asset is a value stock.   I could take a long term write off, but before I do, I want to extract whatever value I can get out of it before either promoting it back to my main main portfolio or selling it off.  I see deep value in there somewhere.  Let's work on getting it out.  It is going to involve some pain and work.

Whalers:

2 games?  No.

WOW!  You have just PO'ed the local Whalers fan base. You'll probably hear from him any day now.

I dont know if Svechnikov signed his entry level contract yet  maybe not .   But i do find it awesome  that he is listed on the Carolina Hurricanes roster already !  They just dont have  a mini picture for it yet .    The hockey gods smiled on this team  I honestly believe that !

Robin Lehner, UFA July 1. Why not make a move on him? Let Cam move on and let Lehner and Mongo duke it out in pre season. Lehner has a solid crease attitude and intense. So-so year last season on a crap Buf team but a very good year 2 seasons ago. Maybe the issue would be pay to come here because we’re stuck with an absurd Ronnie engineered Mongo contract. 

(Oops maybe a mod can move this to UFA/RFA thread).

Edited by raleighcaniac

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Robin Lehner, UFA July 1. Why not make a move on him? Let Cam move on and let Lehner and Mongo duke it out in pre season. Lehner has a solid crease attitude and intense. So-so year last season on a crap Buf team but a very good year 2 seasons ago. Maybe the issue would be pay to come here because we’re stuck with an absurd Ronnie engineered Mongo contract. 

(Oops maybe a mod can move this to UFA/RFA thread).

I would go after Carter Hutton first and if that option is closed than try your luck with  Lehner . 

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Subscription required.  Any insights from this?  Someone mentioned something about Faulk being untradable after reading this article?

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Subscription required.  Any insights from this?  Someone mentioned something about Faulk being untradable after reading this article?

I dont know what part of this made Faulk sound untradeable.  I didnt see it. 

To me, it really shows you TD's involvement with the process and his understanding.  He also asks a bunch of questions to increase his understanding on the opinions / deciding factors for the GM, VPs, scouts, etc.  He is there to facilitate and drive full conversation, not be the ultimate decision maker.

Did say Hanifin was looking for more than Pesce got. Didnt mention a Lindholm number.

Every big name that has been in the trade market lately, not named Karlsson, was discussed.  

Said we had 6 deals in the works going into the draft

Wanted a higher than 42nd, 2nd rounder to pick up a defender (I'm assuming Wilde)

Other good stuff in here and I dont want to give away even half the article because that doesnt seem fair. 

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Also no hall call for Brindy this year.  Maybe next year!

?That's bull****!  Oh but Dave Andreychuk waiting so long to get in was a complete travesty according to all the media.

57 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

?That's bull****!  Oh but Dave Andreychuk waiting so long to get in was a complete travesty according to all the media.

It's hard to quantify leadership.

JR is nothing, if not persistent. Likely the reason, at least in part, for our prolonged stay in purgatory was due to his inability to accept that he could err? Look at what's going on in Pittsburg and tell me that we are not seeing it in spades in his apparently reacquiring Jack Johnson? Missed out on him in the very beginning, but come hell or high water, he was going to continue the pursuit. Well good for him and the player, as I would like to think that for all JJ has been thru, he does deserve a break, but boy is JR rolling the dice? 

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

JR is nothing, if not persistent. Likely the reason, at least in part, for our prolonged stay in purgatory was due to his inability to accept that he could err? Look at what's going on in Pittsburg and tell me that we are not seeing it in spades in his apparently reacquiring Jack Johnson? Missed out on him in the very beginning, but come hell or high water, he was going to continue the pursuit. Well good for him and the player, as I would like to think that for all JJ has been thru, he does deserve a break, but boy is JR rolling the dice? 

I didnt get to see enough Blue Jacket games other than when they were playing the canes  . so I could not  judge much of what Johnson was doing for them on D  last year .   Stat's wise he was not impressive so im not sure if he played more of a Defensive role than what he is typically known for .   If that is all the penguins are addressing than im the least bit concerned ,  I see that JR  went another year of no First round picks .  Let just  sit and eat our popcorn when they give away another 1st  this year  , maybe  lol 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, LakeLivin said:

I know Zykov's initial splash was a little bit bigger, but I'm guessing that Foegele ultimately does more for the Canes this year than does Zykov.  Pure speculation with nothing to back it up.

So if we don't make another move, which of the 13 forwards listed would be replaced by Foegele?

Edited by cclifford10

23 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

So if we don't make another move, which of the 13 forwards listed would be replaced by Foegele?

Mainelainen? (I didn't look at positions).  Heck, if Foegele can get us more goals, PDG if need be.

11 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Subscription required. 

Yeah, but it's better than anything in Raleigh and it's a cheap alternative to some good stuff.  Spam hockey alert, go for it.

This is a great article on the inner-workings of the "comittee" first hand by the author.  Folks should pay to play.

Edited by coastal_caniac