The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

8 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

So if we don't make a move, which of the 13 forwards is out to make room for Zykov?

PDG. His testing of the RFA market last year was an indication that he is not "with us" in TD's definition of that phrase, and his one-year deal tells me he will either be waived or be added to a deal as a sweetener. 

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, but it's better than anything in Raleigh and it's a cheap alternative to some good stuff.  Spam hockey alert, go for it.

This is a great article on the inner-workings of the "comittee" first hand by the author.  Folks should pay to play.

For the rest of their BS, I'm not gonna pay or sign up for The Atlantic, but if they keep up good articles like this, I may overlook the other crap.

In other news... I pay for XM.  So I use it.  Let's see.  Martin Biron was interviewed in depth this morning.  A few tidbits, most of which we know.

- Darling is now in the big leagues.  If he played like that in Junior, he may be coddled.  Not the NHL.  Has to lift up by his own bootstraps.

- Carolina is hosed because this is a bad year to be looking for a goalie.  It isn't just Darls contract, it is what they cannot fix this summer no matter the price.  They rolled the dice last year and lost badly.

- Not much choice but to work with Darling and hope for the best.

- Mike Bales is an excellent coach, and a full summer of him working with Darls will hopefully work a few wonders.  (wxray: please, please.  He is working this summer, right?)

- And in general, not Darling specific: Goalies say a ton by their body language.  Just watch the body language of your goalie to get a feel for how he is doing.

And with that, all I could think of was Darling.  Not only the worst goalie, the worst body language in the league.  I think Biron's point was not to suppress that language, but to fix whatever is underneath the covers leading to that language.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 3

wxray- I wont extend past the 7 day free trial because they dont have a hurricanes writer.  We are one of the few teams that doesnt have a page on the site.  

11 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I'm beginning to warm to the idea of a Skinner-Necas- Svechnikov  line.

Talent wise maybe. Physicality and defensive play? In Russia they say that there should be guys who just move the piano to allow talented players to do their magic.

Edited by Bonivan
Addition

If we are banking on Necas to help us in the top 9 then this season will be a failure.   Hasn't worked the past 9 years.  Doubt it will now.

Edited by bluedevil58

12 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

- Carolina is hosed because this is a bad year to be looking for a goalie.  It isn't just Darls contract, it is what they cannot fix this summer no matter the price.  They rolled the dice last year and lost badly.

I feel like we hear this line quite often from the media it's essentially always a bad time to be looking for a goalie, if a decent goalie's available he's typically the lone fish of that calibre available. I think we all know the most successful goaltending teams are developing their guys themselves, which is why I'm very close minded on the idea of keeping Darling around in the AHL if it comes to it with the talent pool we've got incoming. We're better off buying him out if the best he can do is the AHL then taking time away from our prospects.

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

If we are banking on Necas to help us in the top 9 then this season will be a failure.   

I hardly think this along will determine if this season is a failure.  Thats a little dramatic. Now if we cant  have goaltending at a higher level I would agree with you on that.

19 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

For the rest of their BS, I'm not gonna pay or sign up for The Atlantic, but if they keep up good articles like this, I may overlook the other crap.

LOL, pay attention before you go all viral on the Athletic

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

LOL, pay attention before you go all viral on the Athletic

That's hilarious!  I'm an idiot!  Told you guys I'm getting too old.  Probably need new glasses too.

Going to sign up now...

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

PDG. His testing of the RFA market last year was an indication that he is not "with us" in TD's definition of that phrase, and his one-year deal tells me he will either be waived or be added to a deal as a sweetener. 

...but PDG was listed as the 13th forward.  I'm not sure that is a great role for a developing player.

3 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

...but PDG was listed as the 13th forward.  I'm not sure that is a great role for a developing player.

It's not ideal. But when you're as deep in prospect talent as the Canes, I'm thinking any guy in CLT would be thrilled to be a healthy scratch and would absolutely make the most of the chances he gets when they surface. I also think that under Rod, those chances will come. They didn't under BP b/c RF wasn't on board with using the Hammer.   

Anyone else hearing Cam Ward to Chicago?  

If I’m by chance behind on this or it’s posted elsewhere let me know. I admit I have some thread catching up to do...

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2018/6/28/17516650/blackhawks-sign-cam-ward-1-year-2-5-million-deal-contract-terms-nhl-2018

Edited by surfzone365

13 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

If we are banking on Necas to help us in the top 9 then this season will be a failure.   Hasn't worked the past 9 years.  Doubt it will now.

Worked out ok with Aho? Necas will play a major role this year. The only question is does he center the first or second line. 

Edited by cclifford10

19 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Speaking of Aho, he is eligible to be extended Sunday. You have to think that it's a top priority. What does he get?

depends on what Aho wants

wait for another year and try to get to 70+ points and get an 8 years by 8 million deal.

I think if he signs now he would probably get a 8 x 6.5 deal.  

Turbo too, he'd probably get a 6 x 6 deal because of his up and down.

NHL Network  had the Hurricanes projected lines  to be  on offense   as this . 

Teravainen  / Aho  /  Svechnikov

Skinner / Staal / Williams 

Ferland / Rask / Necas 

McGinn /  Di Giuseppe/ Martonook 

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ferland / Rask / Necas 

Geez that is a rough lineup.  They have been programmed like us to expect very little movement in the market.

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ferland / Rask / Necas 

I could see that top line, but Necas is too fast to play with Rask and McGinn should be above Ferland.  Can PDG play center? Martinook / PDG / Ferland could be pretty difficult to play against,

9 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

Anyone else hearing Cam Ward to Chicago?  

If I’m by chance behind on this or it’s posted elsewhere let me know. I admit I have some thread catching up to do...

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2018/6/28/17516650/blackhawks-sign-cam-ward-1-year-2-5-million-deal-contract-terms-nhl-2018

Kind of ironic.  The article in the N&O this morning is concerning. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article213980209.html

Guess I knew this was going to be somewhere inside, but I hoped for a different outcome.  There was nothing at all last year about Darling that said starting NHL goalie.  Actually there was nothing about him that said starting Beer League goalie.  I am sure financial reasons are why he will still be here.  His contract is like a noose around our neck.  While I do not see Ward as a starting goalie, he would be a good backup option,  If he goes to Chicago, then as of now it looks like they got the better deal.  If, as Waddell says, the Canes are 100% committed to Darling, then this is going to be another long year.  It is just hard to imagine SD will magically change over the summer.

Lots of contradicting feelings.....on the one hand I get really hopeful and start dreaming big regarding the rest of the roster after the draft and trades.......and then I remember we don't have a goalie.

13 minutes ago, reelpirate5 said:

Lots of contradicting feelings.....on the one hand I get really hopeful and start dreaming big regarding the rest of the roster after the draft and trades.......and then I remember we don't have a goalie.

Yeah, I’m still trying to process this. Chicago expects Crawford to come back healthy this year and need a decent backup without breaking the bank. J F Berube and a couple other netminders they had last year were pure garbage. Wardo makes sense behind CC. 

For us this spells total buy-in to Darling. The die is cast and Darling has no one to bail him out. This is an excellent opportunity for some other options like Ned. We had to move on from Cam eventually. I kind of feel indifferent and somewhat optimistic.

BTW... go Pirates!

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 1

Hope this is the right topic, but we are staying with Darling according to Don Waddell last night.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-summer-buzz-june-29/c-299337820

"Scott Darling will be one of the goaltenders for the Carolina Hurricanes next season, general manager Don Waddell told the Raleigh News & Observer on Thursday.

Waddell said the Hurricanes were 100 percent committed to Darling, "