The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

The more I think about it, I wonder if Varlamov won't be tending goal in Carolina this year.  It's an expensive kick of the can down the road at $6.25M, but he has only one more year on the deal.  It allows them to reevaluate Darling and let a prospect develop some more.  The UFA pickings are better next year.  I just don't believe the Avs traded for Grubauer to be a backup.  I wouldn't give a ton to get Varlamov, but he does make a lot of sense, if the GMC (general manager committee) doesn't think there is any other answer.  I'll be irate if Darling is plan A.

Varly played in 51 games last year with a .920 sv% and 2.68 GA.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, bambamcanefan said:

Waddell said the Hurricanes were 100 percent committed to Darling,

A little bit of a change from if he doesn't cut it he will start in Charlotte. I wonder if we can't find a goalie and know Cam will no longer be a fall back option. Just wondering.

49 minutes ago, OBXer said:

A little bit of a change from if he doesn't cut it he will start in Charlotte. I wonder if we can't find a goalie and know Cam will no longer be a fall back option. Just wondering.

I guess that means he's 100 % committed to another high draft pick.

• Like 1

Will this be enough?  Man.  This upcoming season is going to "exciting" to say the least.  Poor RF.  I thought he did great, but Darling was one of the greatest misses of all time.  4 years of a boat anchor contract will hurt.

To end on a positive note...  Yes, the pictures didn't lie.  DW puts it out there with the weight issue.

Waddell said Darling had been in a strenuous workout program with Canes strength and conditioning coach Bill Burniston and was committed to returning this season lighter, in better physical shape and with sharper focus.

"He's lost weight and feels good," Waddell said. "I told him he might be the best free agent we have, and we already own him, if we can get him back on track. Add another guy into the mix and we hope we can be solid in goal."

35 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Will this be enough?  Man.  This upcoming season is going to "exciting" to say the least.  Poor RF.  I thought he did great, but Darling was one of the greatest misses of all time.  4 years of a boat anchor contract will hurt.

To end on a positive note...  Yes, the pictures didn't lie.  DW puts it out there with the weight issue.

Scary!

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Waddell said Darling had been in a strenuous workout program with Canes strength and conditioning coach Bill Burniston and was committed to returning this season lighter, in better physical shape and with sharper focus.

"He's lost weight and feels good," Waddell said. "I told him he might be the best free agent we have, and we already own him, if we can get him back on track. Add another guy into the mix and we hope we can be solid in goal."

Now if they can fix his glove, 5 hole and rebound control it will be completely resolved.  Whomever replaces Cam better be able to step in as #1 or Deja Vu all over again (as some guy once said).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Manwolf said:

Now if they can fix his glove, 5 hole and rebound control it will be completely resolved.  Whomever replaces Cam better be able to step in as #1 or Deja Vu all over again (as some guy once said).

In better shape, I'd be willing to bet all these flaws get better, as I have always felt that his failings snowballed to one catastrophic mess, going downhill from there. I've never bought that the Black Hawks defense was his guardian, contributing to his apparent success there. This man has come thru too much in his life without going down fighting, and his appearance at the session going on now indicates to me that he's lost a fair amount of weight. I may be eating these words by December, but seems like we've got little choice with the market the way it is, and several goalies close to or already snapped up, but to trust our goalie and conditioning coaches?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I know nobody has any faith in Darling but maybe just maybe he can be the NHL comeback player of the year.  It's not impossible.

Amen.  When you only got one boat, Keep your gun pointed up.

5 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

In better shape, I'd be willing to bet all these flaws get better, as I have always felt that his failings snowballed to one catastrophic mess, going downhill from there. I've never bought that the Black Hawks defense was his guardian, contributing to his apparent success there. This man has come thru too much in his life without going down fighting, and his appearance at the session going on now indicates to me that he's lost a fair amount of weight. I may be eating these words by December, but seems like we've got little choice with the market the way it is, and several goalies close to or already snapped up, but to trust our goalie and conditioning coaches?

He has lost a lot of weight and has been working hard. I have to believe he is 100% in to turning it around. The goalie market is very weak and unfortunately there is not a guaranteed no1 out there to be had. All of the goalies available are a crap shoot IMO for carrying NO1. workload. Darling has to be ready to carry significant workload no matter who we acquire as they are not proven for full time workload either. Not a great spot to be in but I don't see a solution this year. We have to hope that Darls turns it around.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

You forgot "flailing".  :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

He has lost a lot of weight and has been working hard. I have to believe he is 100% in to turning it around. The goalie market is very weak and unfortunately there is not a guaranteed no1 out there to be had. All of the goalies available are a crap shoot IMO for carrying NO1. workload. Darling has to be ready to carry significant workload no matter who we acquire as they are not proven for full time workload either. Not a great spot to be in but I don't see a solution this year. We have to hope that Darls turns it around.

I wonder why he wasn't 100% committed last year? It seems like the chance to be a #1 rather than a back up, is the chance every goalie plays for, and he blew it big time. I have absolutely zero confidence in him. If he proves me wrong, I'll be a happy Caniac.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

I know nobody has any faith in Darling but maybe just maybe he can be the NHL comeback player of the year.  It's not impossible.

I don't know how anyone can predict how this will go.  Too many variables.

I am in the camp of wait and see.  Stranger things have happened than comebacks.  

I hope the braintrust has decided that they need a multifaceted approach of which Darling is one possibility.  They need a couple more plans is all.  Or one more solid plan.

1.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I wonder why he wasn't 100% committed last year? It seems like the chance to be a #1 rather than a back up, is the chance every goalie plays for, and he blew it big time. I have absolutely zero confidence in him. If he proves me wrong, I'll be a happy Caniac.

He should of been committed last year but he came into camp like a zeppelin. Yes he did blow it big time. I don't have a lot of confidence either but perhaps the thought of being out of hockey served him as a wake up call. I'm sure the whispers of a potential buyout have reached his ears and it's prove them wrong time. It's a scary thought of having him even sharing half of the workload based on last years performance but the committee hasn't given up on him yet (not much of a choice) based on his contract. I'm hoping he has a completely different mindset and also hope he found some softer pads.

21 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I am in the camp of wait and see.  Stranger things have happened than comebacks.  

I hope the braintrust has decided that they need a multifaceted approach of which Darling is one possibility.  They need a couple more plans is all.  Or one more solid plan.

1.jpg

These aren't the grey beards I was thinking of.acquiring.

I don't think better shape and mindset, etc. is enough to merit the crease.  He can do all that, and show he has solved the technique issues, by proving it all and starting in Charlotte or as the backup.  Once he merits the crease he gets it.  I'm not in favor of hoping results are different this time.

Honestly, it seems like hope and even desperation by management given they have 3 more years of committed cost.  My world doesn't work that way.  Instead when results are proven or evident I'll commit further, but not before.  Sorry, but there are 17 or more guys to be accountable to.  Darling and management need to consider the entire group.

I wouldn't take this risk.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

I don't think better shape and mindset, etc. is enough to merit the crease.  He can do all that, and show he has solved the technique issues, by proving it all and starting in Charlotte or as the backup.  Once he merits the crease he gets it.  I'm not in favor of hoping results are different this time.

Honestly, it seems like hope and even desperation by management given they have 3 more years of committed cost.  My world doesn't work that way.  Instead when results are proven or evident I'll commit further, but not before.  Sorry, but there are 17 or more guys to be accountable to.  Darling and management need to consider the entire group.

I don't disagree and without knowing the options I'm concerned. If Darling was placed in Charlotte that means we have 2 new goalies in our crease. It sounds like Cam is moving so that would mean Neds would be the backup.That's risky business as well. I shiver with the thought of new goalie x as the no1 and Neds as the backup.

Manwolf, I disagree with the notion of having to start in Charlotte to prove himself. He needs to prove himself to the coaches and management, preferably before the season starts. Nothing I have seen indicates management isn't looking for a second goalie to challenge Darling for the crease. I think the fact they aren't keeping Cam is evidence they want someone who could possibly take on the starters load. The remaining question is who/if we can find to fill that role?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I don't disagree and without knowing the options I'm concerned. If Darling was placed in Charlotte that means we have 2 new goalies in our crease. It sounds like Cam is moving so that would mean Neds would be the backup.That's risky business as well. I shiver with the thought of new goalie x as the no1 and Neds as the backup.

My thoughts also slapshot. Were the goalie market more impressive, we possibly could go the route that Manwolf suggests, but that ain't happening unless our group has some undiscovered goalie stashed somewhere? No, we've backed or are backing ourselves in a corner on this, and IMHO, starting Darling in Charlotte will not solve anything.

1 hour ago, hag65 said:

1.jpg

It's the Soggy Bottom Boys!

16 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

My thoughts also slapshot. Were the goalie market more impressive, we possibly could go the route that Manwolf suggests, but that ain't happening unless our group has some undiscovered goalie stashed somewhere? No, we've backed or are backing ourselves in a corner on this, and IMHO, starting Darling in Charlotte will not solve anything.

I have no doubt that if there was a true NO1. UFA goalie out there we would be all in regardless of salary. Take your pick from the available UFA's and DW stated he would be going the UFA route and the pickins are slim. There's age issues, prior injury issues and performance issue galore here. Mongo has to be at least a backup as throwing an unproven NHL goalie (Neds) in there at this point in time is dangerous. If Darling falters again then Neds will get his shot. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-retinopathy/in-depth/reducing-your-risks-of-diabetic-macular-edema/art-20398929?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

1 hour ago, Manwolf said:

I know in my business, where nobody is under contract, management just says: "See ya."  They may give you a nice check for a few weeks of work and a month or two of medical.

Doesn't work that way in the NHL. 

And I guess what really concerns me on all this is TD.  TD talks big about money, but it reminds me of what Ditka said about Pappa Bear Halas: "He throws nickels around like they are manhole covers."

Maybe the committee is worried about no buyout room too?  After all, we have HWSNBN on the books still.  What a mess.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2