The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Maybe time does heal everything.  Darling was not NHL caliber last year.  It is near criminal to go into this season with him in a key role of at least backup.

Just feels like "hey I'm paying him so why not?"  I hope I'm wrong, but don't have a good feel at all about this.  We'll see who they sign.

For the record, I'd have cut my losses with Darling and kept Cam as backup while signing someone.  Neds isn't ready, yet.

• Like 3

Saw pictures of Darling addressing the prospects camp.  He already looks slimmer.  As for his self-inflicted issues, I wonder if him starting NHL mortality in the face is the splash of water he needed.  Regardless, the best we are going to do in FA or trade is get another hopeful starter to duke it out with Darling in the preseason.  Hoping for more than that is wishful thinking.  He stole money for sure last year.  Lets see if he earns it this year.

If I were a FA goalie looking for a starting shot, the Canes would be a great option.  Good young defense and all you have to do is beat out the worst goaltender in the NHL last year.  That's a pretty good opportunity if you ask me.

Edited by ironman87
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ironman87 said:

Saw pictures of Darling addressing the prospects camp.  He already looks slimmer.  As for his self-inflicted issues, I wonder if him starting NHL mortality in the face is the splash of water he needed.  Regardless, the best we are going to do in FA or trade is get another hopeful starter to duke it out with Darling in the preseason.  Hoping for more than that is wishful thinking.  He stole money for sure last year.  Lets see if he earns it this year.

If I were a FA goalie looking for a starting shot, the Canes would be a great option.  Good young defense and all you have to do is beat out the worst goaltender in the NHL last year.  That's a pretty good opportunity if you ask me.

Exactly. And yet if rumors are to be believed, we are not in the running for the top 2 or 3 guys in a thin crop. I’m hearing (mostly here) maybe Lehner, but his numbers last year were Cam-like at best. I know Buffalo was terrible, but, um, we weren’t so great either.

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I know nobody has any faith in Darling but maybe just maybe he can be the NHL comeback player of the year.  It's not impossible.

Well, nobody ever put themselves in better position to win that award!

• Like 1

To change gears a little.  The LA Kings will be the new Chicago Blackhawks. They will be forced to trade assets with a bad contract to make space.  With Dougherty’s 8 years x 11 million per extension, the LAK have 74 million in cap space already spoken for next season. They need 1 roster defender and 4 roster forwards.  That isn’t counting extra contracts in case of injuries.

2 days until FA hits.  I hope I am not disappointed.   I will hold reservations until 2 weeks in.  I'm not sure what to expect but have been conditioned to not expect much.

7 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

2 days until FA hits.  I hope I am not disappointed.   I will hold reservations until 2 weeks in.  I'm not sure what to expect but have been conditioned to not expect much.

Prepared to be disappointed.  The UFA class is sparse and we aren’t in the mix for any of the top talents.  Our best chance for talent improvement is trading. 

Based on Wardo moving on, UFA goalies looking to be slim pickings looks like it will be done through trade? Can’t see just handing it to Mongo and our Minors pipeline isn’t up to speed yet to pull from. Wasn’t there some talk about a 2 player swap to Edmonton to include Talbort?

Agreed on JT.  Time for this to be over. 

The FA goalie crop is thin, but I bet there are some guys who could be had in trade for a pittance.  Varlamov, Howard, and Anderson are three I can think of immediately.  I would be upgrades to what we had last year.  Varlamov and Howard both have 1 year left on their contracts, Anderson 2.  All are significantly overpaid, so we should be able to extract some extra value out of these teams.  I think that TD and committee will do something like this, rather than overpay during FA and cross their fingers.  

And if we go for someone like Talbot, I could see a package deal like Talbot, Lucic and a 1st for Skinner and another roster player (Rask?, Darling).

Update:  MTL acquired Steve Mason and Joel Armia from WIN.  MTL Looking to flip Mason according to Hockey Night in Canada's Chris Johnson via Twitter..  Another option if we want. 

Edited by ironman87

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Faulk for Saad and we take on Hossa’s contract.

Saad-Necas-Svech

dare you to knock us off the puck or keep up with our speed

Sold.  Where do I sign?

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

How can you be disappointed if you don't expect much?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wow, maybe I gave Ryan too much grief.

Wonder if he is going to play in the same line with Gaudreau if he end up with Calgary.

• Like 1

I'm happy for Derek, and his point production actually was pretty strong for a third line forward, though at the low end range for third line centers a bit. That said, us moving on from him is a sign that we think we can upgrade there. Plus we have other guys coming up. Ryan did put up decent third line points, but he brought no physical and did seem to lose a lot of puck battles. I lamented the loss of Cullen and even Riley Nash, but here I wish him well but time to move on. He is a nice story of a good guy working hard, persevering and having success.

I have nothing ill to say of Derek Ryan...while not the greatest talent on the team, he played his heart out and is a great example of how sheer grit and determination can still count for something in this league.

Best of luck to him wherever he lands.

• Like 4

Will be interesting to watch Waddel 2.0 and his sidekick Rick Dudley 10.0 (the number of NHL teams where his dna can be found) regarding their FA acquisition skills. 

What would Ronnie do?

Edited by raleighcaniac