The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

14 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Whoooa

Jack Johnson burning bridges with another organization. This time GMs and Coaches are public with retorts and banter.  Let the circus continue 

Must admit i've wanted Rutherford to shut the edit up a time or two as well.  Hoping for an even-earlier exit for that organization next season.

Why you'd bring in a guy who flipped you off at the beginning of his career is beyond me, why you'd defend him when he's still got issues is even more baffling. Seems like JR is trying to prove his usage of the #3 pick wasn't idiotic in 2005.

When I look at past drafts I get varying amounts of shock when I see who went where with my 20/20 glasses on but I'd never guess Kopitar went 11th that year.

9 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

TT-Staal-Aho

Skinner-Rask-Williams

Ferlund-Necas-Svech

Zykov-Martinook-PDG

Yikes.

alittle off

Zykov-Aho-TT

Skinner-Staal-Williams

Ferlund-Necas-Svech

McGinn-Rask-Foegele

(although Skinner wont be here)

11 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

(although Skinner wont be here)

So Skinner in a player for player deal? That lineup can't lose a 30+ goal guy.

15 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

That line up looks horrible.  How can that forward group compete in the Metro?

outside of the JVR signing, who got better in the metro yesterday?  

noone really.  The UFA class was super weak and outside of Toronto, Philly, and LV, I dont see many teams in the league that actually got better.  Philly still has bad goal tending.  

The Metro got easier yesterday as the NYI should be easy, NYR didnt get any better and should be a bottom 8 team, PIT and Washington didnt make any moves, and all we added was a backup goalie. The lineup may be able to compete.  We still have trade chips so moves can still happen (and will I suspect).  This is the roster July 2nd but I doubt it will be the roster come August 1st.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

But nobody got worse .

That isnt true as NYI should easily be the worse team in the Metro next year, if not the NHL.  They lost a top 20 player and a top 4 defender with no replacements signed.

This is true though

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

we were not able to compete in the Metro last year.

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Nobody got better in the Metro aside from Philly.  But nobody got worse and we were not able to compete in the Metro last year.

We got better during the last 2 drafts. Necas and Svech are impact now rookies.

I wouldn't sell Zykov and Foegele short either. I'm not looking to them to pick up Skinner's points if he goes, and I would expect inconsistency from them, but both could be decent producers if given a shot. 

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

It still mainly comes down to goaltending, no?

yep but maybe we have a system change that has Dmen get into guys faces and gets mean in front of the net, even if it means we take a couple more penalties.  The system change could help the goalies out. 

On 6/29/2018 at 2:37 PM, caniac6 said:

I wonder why he wasn't 100% committed last year? It seems like the chance to be a #1 rather than a back up, is the chance every goalie plays for, and he blew it big time. I have absolutely zero confidence in him.

For one last time (actual not, I’ll probably say it again), Darling was badly mishandled last year by BP, and with him gone you can see the new attitude by Darling.  I will not be surprised when it translates into a much improved performance next year.

5 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Why you'd bring in a guy who flipped you off at the beginning of his career is beyond me, why you'd defend him when he's still got issues is even more baffling. Seems like JR is trying to prove his usage of the #3 pick wasn't idiotic in 2005.

When I look at past drafts I get varying amounts of shock when I see who went where with my 20/20 glasses on but I'd never guess Kopitar went 11th that year.

2008 is the year that still haunts me. Erik Karlsson at 15 to Ottawa. Canes took Zach Boychuk at 14. 

33 minutes ago, MisterDobz said:

For one last time (actual not, I’ll probably say it again), Darling was badly mishandled last year by BP, and with him gone you can see the new attitude by Darling.  I will not be surprised when it translates into a much improved performance next year.

He came in tremendously out of shape. How did BP mishandle that? He was unprepared to start the season. His season was 100% his fault. He gets good money and a starting job, and he let the team down by being fat. For one last time, how did BP mishandle that?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Californiahurricane said:

2008 is the year that still haunts me. Erik Karlsson at 15 to Ottawa. Canes took Zach Boychuk at 14. 

I'll see your 2008 and raise you a 2009, when the Canes took Philippe Paradis at #27 with Ryan O'Reilly going at #33.  There have been a few bombs, to be sure.  Though the flipside of course would be Aho at #35 in 2015.  You know a lot of GMs are still thumping their scouts' ears over that one.

• Like 1

Wow, I just looked up Paradis, and they said he is under contract with a semi pro team! They might as well drafted me in the first round that year!

we drafted very poorly in our time in Raleigh.  TD knows drafting is where it is at for sustainable success. His continued and increased funding of scouting will help.  Should see more Russian guys get looks from us.

Our bottom 6 could be very cheap and more productive than most for many years.  If one or two take fire and become top 6 guys, we could be very successful for a long time.

future outlook: 

Top 6- Aho, Turbo, Svech, Necas

Bottom 6- Staal, Foegele, Zykov, McGinn, Wallmark, Roy, Smallman, Eetu

what do they develop into: Geekie, Gauthier, Mattheos, Kuokkanen, and Saarela.

defense in the waiting: Bean, Fox, McKeown and, Fora.

all the young guys drafted / acquired over the last 5 years. 

Edited by gocanes0506

So DW says we are likely done. He has been pretty honest with us so I will take him at his word. It must mean we just aren't getting valuable offers for Skinner or Faulk. Barring a change in the market, our lineup should look something like this:

Turbo       Necas     Aho        

Skinner.    Staal      Svechnikov

McGinn     Rask      Williams

Martinook PDG      Ferland

Zykov

Slavin  Hamilton   

Pesce  Faulk

Fluery  TVR

Carrick

Darling

Mrazek

Gotta get value, and Skinner blocked some, but listing those names really could be pretty good. Maybe Roddy can get Skinner and Faulk to at least adequate on the D zone, and both guys can bring offense. I am glad we did not give anyone away, especially Skinner. If Skinner can get back to form, we need that scoring. Of course, DW could also be posturing to get a better deal. 

We are really rolling two dice in goal. Let's hope both guys can get back to their peak form.

I'm not sure how Pesce will do on his off side, but really if we consider Faulk's puck moving and PP goals, and add in Hamilton's, that should be a productive D. I'm counting on a step up from Fleury. 

There is also more upside from Skinner and Rask and probably Staal than last year.

The main thing (aside from goalies) will be how Svech and Necas produce. I really think both could produce pretty well with Svech possibly breaking 25 goals.

So, if we keep Skinner, our forwards are improved and with at least two extra wild cards in waiting (Zykov/Foegele). 

Basically, we'd have traded Lindholm for Ferland and then added Necas and Svech.

Last year Ferland put up nearly identical numbers to Lindholm, though it seemed more of a stretch for him. Still, if he is used to make space for our top line, he could put those numbers up again. Plus, even two years ago he had 15 goals, only one less than Lindholm last year.

If we assume that Ferland at least comes close to hitting Lindholm's numbers, this leaves Necas and Svech replacing the 7-8 players, with Rask sort of floating at the #9 producer. 

So, assuming for the moment that the rest of the forwards produce at least to last year's numbers, Necas and Svech have to beat:

Ryan: 15 G, 28A, 

McGinn: 16G, 14A

I see them doing that. 

Svech 25, Necas 18? 12 more goals.

Then Hamilton is easily 5 goals over Hanifin. 

That would be 17 more goals. However, Faulk was way off his norms last year with 8 goals vs 15,16,17 the three years before. Even assuming Faulk gets to 14 goals adds 6.

Then Rask. He's the hardest to figure. He put up 14 goals in a bad year. His main issue really was playmaking falling off. But Rask put up 21 in the past. Or someone such as Zykov or Foegele could step up. Lets say that Rask puts up just 16 goals.

Now we're up 19 goals over last year not counting any improvement from Skinner, who was off by at least 6-12 goals. If Skinner gets back to 30, that's 6 more for a plus 25 goals. 

Lastly, the bottom. I think that guys on the 4th line will put in a few more too. 

Last year 250 goals got everyone in except the Islanders, and we don't have their D (though could have their goaltending). Canes got 228 goals. Lowest team in the East to get in scored 242 (Columbus). We need to add at least 22 goals. I have us up 25 goals. Close but over the line if we get at least not worst goaltending.