The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

So as with the talk of what to do if Faulk stays (at least how to manage too many RHD), Chip has a piece that includes some talk from Brind'Amour as to how to handle Skinner if he stays:  https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214199854.html#storylink=cpy

"If you're not going to quite dig in every shift then maybe you don't get every shift. That's definitely what I'm trying to preach and I've got to back that up.  Now I have, from the top, the authority to do it that way, which is the right way. And Jeff, I think he wants that, too. We know he can do it. We just need him to do it every night."

I like that quote that he now has authority from the top (TD) to do it...the right way. It's still not going to be easy, but if Skinner gets back to doing it the right way, it will also bump his offense. And if does that, and the team wins, and he's back to being smiles, maybe he even wants to stay long term. 

I'm not so sure Faulk can do it, but I'd still like to hear some questions lobbed at Brindy about Faulk "doing it the right way" too.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

So as with the talk of what to do if Faulk stays (at least how to manage too many RHD), Chip has a piece that includes some talk from Brind'Amour as to how to handle Skinner if he stays:  https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214199854.html#storylink=cpy

"If you're not going to quite dig in every shift then maybe you don't get every shift. That's definitely what I'm trying to preach and I've got to back that up.  Now I have, from the top, the authority to do it that way, which is the right way. And Jeff, I think he wants that, too. We know he can do it. We just need him to do it every night."

I like that quote that he now has authority from the top (TD) to do it...the right way. It's still not going to be easy, but if Skinner gets back to doing it the right way, it will also bump his offense. And if does that, and the team wins, and he's back to being smiles, maybe he even wants to stay long term. 

I'm not so sure Faulk can do it, but I'd still like to hear some questions lobbed at Brindy about Faulk "doing it the right way" too.

I think Skinner would buy in more if given line mates that demonstrate that you recognize and value his talents. Could we get him back to wher he plays both ways consistently and wants to stay here? Don’t know, but then he would be worth keeping for sure.

4 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think Skinner would buy in more if given line mates that demonstrate that you recognize and value his talents. Could we get him back to wher he plays both ways consistently and wants to stay here? Don’t know, but then he would be worth keeping for sure.

Been my take all along. I want one year with him paired with decent linemates. If he fails, see ya.

• Like 1

That's really a remarkable insight from that interview.  I think the current "activities" occurring between Torts and JJ/JR fit right in.  The team seemed to have a few guys who apparently got a pass and were favorites of some sort or another.  And it didn't go away with JR.  The hammer was rubber.  

Some questions (other than goalie :unsure:).

• Will Skinner be a Cane?  [I'm guessing no, that he'll bring a return of either a LD or some nice futures now that the FA market is clearing up]
  • Will Faulk be a Cane? [if Skinner goes we're shallow at  top end LW; can Faulk get us a replacement?]
  • Does Aho start out at C?  [my guess is yes, the team is ready to make that move]
  • Does Necas start out at C or at RW? [presumably a bit less pressure on the rook as a wing, no?]
  • Brindy has stated that he wants to pair Necas and Svech.  Will he put them on a line together right from the start?  [ties into above, both right shots]

Some possibilities?

Faulk trade/Foegele/Zykov - Aho - Turbo  [can't see splitting up the Finns; I'd like to see Foegele here above Zykov]

McGinn - Staal - Willy

Ferland - Necas - Svech  [if pairing the 2 rooks; Ferland to provide grit and "protection"]

Rask centering 2 of PDG/Zykov-Foegele/Martinook? [all are LWs, though]

Edit: I posted this before reading the article about Skinner

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

So DW says we are likely done. He has been pretty honest with us so I will take him at his word. It must mean we just aren't getting valuable offers for Skinner or Faulk. Barring a change in the market, our lineup should look something like this:

Turbo       Necas     Aho        

Skinner.    Staal      Svechnikov

McGinn     Rask      Williams

Martinook PDG      Ferland

Zykov

Slavin  Hamilton   

Pesce  Faulk

Fluery  TVR

Carrick

Darling

Mrazek

The line up i think will be.

Ferland  Aho  Turbo

Skinner  Staal  Williams

Zykov  Necas  Svechnikov

McGinn  Rask  Martinook

PDG

I can't see putting Turbo, Necas, Aho on the ice together. The opposing team would be making runs at them all night.  That why the canes got Ferland.  You could put them on the ice on the PP. Maybe tweek the 2nd line little by switching Williams and Svechnikov some during the game.

37 minutes ago, playruffcaniac said:

The line up i think will be.

Ferland  Aho  Turbo

Skinner  Staal  Williams

Zykov  Necas  Svechnikov

McGinn  Rask  Martinook

PDG

I can't see putting Turbo, Necas, Aho on the ice together. The opposing team would be making runs at them all night.  That why the canes got Ferland.  You could put them on the ice on the PP. Maybe tweek the 2nd line little by switching Williams and Svechnikov some during the game.

Lines aren't bad but Zykov will have a hard time keeping up with the Rooks.If Skinner is here and we are going to try and help him, slot him with Aho and Turbo  and watch the lamp light. McGinn had chemistry with Williams, keep that going with Staal. Put Ferlund with the Rooks and his points will be equivalent to last year plus he can be the enforcer to protect the kids. Zykov with Rask and Martinook.

Skinner  Aho  Turbo

McGinn  Staal Williams

Ferland Necas Svechnikov

Zykov  Rask  Martinook

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Skinner-Aho-TT

Do it for 25 games?

Seems several are buying into this, and who the heck knows, but I for one shudder at it. Scoring prowess, you bet, but you've got to put strong D behind them when they are out together, because who of that group will do so when the puck goes in the opposite direction? Also, which of this group will fight in the corners, stand in front of the net or offer any kind of deterrence when someone takes liberty with them, which it's guaranteed will be so? IDK guys, clone Ferland and put him on lines 1 and 3? Really skeptical here.

• Like 1

When you wonder what the Hurricanes will look like through out the season or years  with guys playing in one spot over another may it be a top 6 or bottom 6  slot  one thing is for certain .  The day Andrei Svechnikov reaches his full potential    ( and this is truly unknown as to when , it could be  at the start of the season or  next year who knows )  I suggest that in order for the team to have a winning track record  it needs to center focus around him , to build the team  around him .   I can look at other teams that have that for example Pittsburgh  with Crosby ,   Tampa with Kucherov  ,  Washington with Ovechkin ,  Dalas with Seguin .  So on and so on .    We do have players that will  be able to give Svechnikov  an ability  to succeed  but  we are not quite there yet  in my opinion .   This might be a certain Strategy  that helps Svechnikov  score more goals or  be able to pass .   Ideally  I'd like to see  the Canes playing at a   overall high capacity as a team at a top notch level   without that need of center focusing just around 1 player  but in order to win in the NHL   your best player needs players that can get the max return  .  The question is  who would be able to work best with Svechnikov  that we have .  I would assume  Zykov  might be able to  help him out and Necas , Perhaps  someone good at reading the ice that can adapt to Svechnikov's playing style  when he attacks the net or during transition .   It's just something  in the future im concerned about .  But right now  it's nothing to  worry  about yet I guess . 

28 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seems several are buying into this, and who the heck knows, but I for one shudder at it. Scoring prowess, you bet, but you've got to put strong D behind them when they are out together, because who of that group will do so when the puck goes in the opposite direction? Also, which of this group will fight in the corners, stand in front of the net or offer any kind of deterrence when someone takes liberty with them, which it's guaranteed will be so? IDK guys, clone Ferland and put him on lines 1 and 3? Really skeptical here.

This is what I was going to say.

Plus I would like Aho and TT to have the puck once in awhile.

Something to consider is that Zykov is traditionally a RW, and TT is a LW that can play both sides. Foegle is a LW. Martinook is a LW. PDG is a LW but I he can play all positions. I believe he was a center at one time.

I would go with TT-Aho-Zykov because they looked good last year and I think Z needs to play with talent. He is a big body that knows to drive the net, and he has good hands around the net. He creates space for the Wonder-Finns (Activate!). ?

I like Ferland-Necas-Svechnikov.

I like ???-Staal-Williams.

I say ??? because I’m still holding out hope we can move Skinner (the anti-Brind’Amour).

Fourth line: Foegle-Rask-McGinn.

(*switch Foegle and McGinn based on comfort level)

PDG and Martinook as extras.

If Necas struggles or looks uncomfortable, then move Rask into his place and try Necas on the wing (but not on the fourth line).

Just as a side note, I have high expectations of Foegle. Ever since I got to see him play I have been a fan of his game. I loved when they asked his parents to use one word to describe him and they said “relentless.” It might not be this year but I think he will be an important player for us in the future, the type of player you win with and develop a certain type of culture.

I suck at line projections because I get too hung up on who plays on their strong side, who can win a faceoff in a particular zone, and all the variables, etc.  And I hope somebody in Charlotte is going to be a big wild card in camp to throw all this into chaos.

Left Wing

Teravainen 
Skinner 
Zykov 
Ferland
McGinn
Martinook
Di Giuseppe

Center

Staal
Necas 
Rask

Right Wing

Aho
Svechnikov
Williams
Maenalanen

Left Defense

Slavin 
Fleury 
Van Riemsdyk

Right Defense

Hamilton 
Pesce
Faulk 

Goalie

Darling 
Mzarek 

In that same vein, the Canes have depth, particularly on offense.  If somebody gets dinged we have a guy that can fill all positions.  Seasoned guys, if only in the AHL.  This season will be nothing like years past IMO.

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

In that same vein, the Canes have depth, particularly on offense.  If somebody gets dinged we have a guy that can fill all positions.  Seasoned guys, if only in the AHL.  This season will be nothing like years past IMO.

We have to much at left wing .  Not enough for center  , Okay spread for right wing .  Top Notch for  Rhd ,   Lhd  has 2 great pieces  but one that shoots right .   Bonus question , What does our pp and pk  units look like ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Lines aren't bad but Zykov will have a hard time keeping up with the Rooks.If Skinner is here and we are going to try and help him, slot him with Aho and Turbo  and watch the lamp light. McGinn had chemistry with Williams, keep that going with Staal. Put Ferlund with the Rooks and his points will be equivalent to last year plus he can be the enforcer to protect the kids. Zykov with Rask and Martinook.

Skinner  Aho  Turbo

McGinn  Staal Williams

Ferland Necas Svechnikov

Zykov  Rask  Martinook

I like it. Everyone else forgot about Rask. He’s at least worthy of 4th line minutes, and if injuries have truly been his problem the last 2 years, maybe he works his way up the ladder. If we have to eat a multi year contract at $4 million annually, I’d have kept him over Darling. But that ship has sailed (for now anyway), and right now we kept them both.

When did Waddell say we were likely done? He has pretty publicly been dangling Faulk and Skinner. To keep them both now is bound to have a negative effect on the locker room. Plus the big culture changing moves would be one trade, dropping a couple bottom 6 guys to move in Necas, Svech and a Checker or 2, and letting Cam walk to sign a goalie that was statistically worse tha Cam for the last 2 years but only cost half as much. Please tell me we are going to do something with Faulk, at least.

8 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

When did Waddell say we were likely done? He has pretty publicly been dangling Faulk and Skinner. To keep them both now is bound to have a negative effect on the locker room. Plus the big culture changing moves would be one trade, dropping a couple bottom 6 guys to move in Necas, Svech and a Checker or 2, and letting Cam walk to sign a goalie that was statistically worse tha Cam for the last 2 years but only cost half as much. Please tell me we are going to do something with Faulk, at least.

Looking at the guys we have  We have an over abundance of left wingers .   Few Centers and a decent amount of right wingers .  We are solid on RHD  but lack that top 6 D ideally for LHD.    And of course not many here including myself  are happy about  the goalie  scenario .    Faulk and Skinner are  going to be traded  but the question is who  do we have in mind  on defense to replace Faulk .    And as for Skinner  I'd like to see a spot filled for  center  or at least right wing .   Im thinking   a top 6 center  mostly .    as for  Defense  , someone  who can play nasty like Scott Stevens use to play but wont put us in the penalty box to much  and be a left hand shot .   That's what I am making my peace with knowing we  might not fetch a goalie  this year  and just have to score 5 goals a game to have a fighting chance . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

12 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Waddell doesn’t anticipate any other changes to the team. Mentions team still has to sign Trevor van Riemsdyk. @NHLCanes
Edited by cclifford10