The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

I wonder with the Fair in town come october  if the Canes will do a discount on food and drinks at the pnc arena for 1 of the games ?  There will be a ton of people in town  at the state fair grounds  and it's not to far of a drive from there to the  pnc arena . 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I wonder with the Fair in town come october  if the Canes will do a discount on food and drinks at the pnc arena for 1 of the games ?  There will be a ton of people in town  at the state fair grounds  and it's not to far of a drive from there to the  pnc arena . 

Don't quite follow this Cff. Are you saying that if food is discounted during the Fair that will attract people from there to the arena to attend the game that day, which if they are going to the Fair, why would they be attracted to a hockey game? Or are you suggesting that the arena just offer them discounted food?

And oh btw, I believe it's only 1 game at PNC during the Fair, thus not "1 of the games".  

If I thought I was going to get a big crowd because of the Fair, I wouldn't discount anything.

Boy how times have changed.  We have three guys on the sportsnet.ca RoTY watch list.  Svechnikov, Necas, and Zykov (yes he still counts as a rookie).

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/top-nhl-rookies-early-calder-trophy-candidates-2018-19/

It is about time we have been able to enjoy un-rushed talent in Raleigh...

Edited by ironman87

I did no changes at all other than a few  like  for example Tavares to Toronto  , and such ,  But made the  Carolina Hurricanes of who is currently on the roster for the new season and simulated  it nhl 18  and the results  are  during the 2018 - 2019 season is that the Canes   make it to the playoffs but lose nearly every time  to the penguins .  I've done this simulation  about 30 times already and the results  always tend to be the same ,    The Canes  play against the pens and  win   maybe 1 , 2 or 3 games but end up getting beat by the pens  .  BUT  the interesting thing is Svechnikov  tends to be the teams leading scorer in the playoffs  and Mrazek  has a  really good season  . Cant say the same for Darling unfortunately . 

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I did no changes at all other than a few  like  for example Tavares to Toronto  , and such ,  But made the  Carolina Hurricanes of who is currently on the roster for the new season and simulated  it nhl 18  and the results  are  during the 2018 - 2019 season is that the Canes   make it to the playoffs but lose nearly every time  to the penguins .  I've done this simulation  about 30 times already and the results  always tend to be the same ,    The Canes  play against the pens and  win   maybe 1 , 2 or 3 games but end up getting beat by the pens  .  BUT  the interesting thing is Svechnikov  tends to be the teams leading scorer in the playoffs  and Mrazek  has a  really good season  . Cant say the same for Darling unfortunately . 

Someone needs an actual hobby.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JMURaptor said:

CFF....I’m confused?

And I'd worry about you if you weren't? Seems in this day of "Fantasy" everything, including hockey, simulation is now the "New Gospel"? Saying so, I don't know why we even have to play actual games, I mean, according to the results we've been honored to receive, the 18-19 season has been decided, and soon our draft pick will be joining the team?

• Like 2

On another front, just curious, anyone hear anything on Lindholm's salary negotiations? Was reading that the hope from Calgary is for "length" I suppose to hold down on $$? One poster was speculating that anything over $4.5 mil would be overpay. I think Lindy values himself more than that?

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Oh, great! Now that I know what's going to happen, what will I watch all fall and winter?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Oh, great! Now that I know what's going to happen, what will I watch all fall and winter?

it would be in the playoffs when  the Canes would lose to them  but  at least  the Canes make it to the big dance .   I was curious  how the team would do  in a video game .  And given  how much time it took just to put everything into simulation  I'd  wanted to see for myself what would happen .  I know  that things could be very different  in real life and that the Canes   for all i know could be   the best team or worse team in the league next season .    It was something fun to do .   Some sports analysis  tend to do game simulations  just to see how a team would do for the season in other sports like madden    and nhl ,  and i  find that kinda  of  thing fun  to learn about . So I thought i'd tell you all about it .  And what do I get back in return ? A bunch of snarky  comments  from a group of ungrateful   people .  Go figure ,  I do something nice for people on here and get slammed for all my efforts .   This is  why im tired of this group .  You people are so  unappreciative when other people try and reach out and share something .     

Edited by Canesfanforever

45 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

it would be in the playoffs when  the Canes would lose to them  but  at least  the Canes make it to the big dance .   I was curious  how the team would do  in a video game .  And given  how much time it took just to put everything into simulation  I'd  wanted to see for myself what would happen .  I know  that things could be very different  in real life and that the Canes   for all i know could be   the best team or worse team in the league next season .    It was something fun to do .   Some sports analysis  tend to do game simulations  just to see how a team would do for the season in other sports like madden    and nhl ,  and i  find that kinda  of  thing fun  to learn about . So I thought i'd tell you all about it .  And what do I get back in return ? A bunch of snarky  comments  from a group of ungrateful   people .  Go figure ,  I do something nice for people on here and get slammed for all my efforts .   This is  why im tired of this group .  You people are so  unappreciative when other people try and reach out and share something .     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

On another front, just curious, anyone hear anything on Lindholm's salary negotiations? Was reading that the hope from Calgary is for "length" I suppose to hold down on $$? One poster was speculating that anything over $4.5 mil would be overpay. I think Lindy values himself more than that?

I haven't heard, but while I really hate that we could miss out on Lindholm's potential upside, I've long held that the key to Lindholm would be his deal. While he has shown flashes of near elite playmaking, and has a decent amount of grit in his game, he also has a tendency to disappear from the goal scoring sheet for looooong periods of time. Thus, if the team could have paid him for his actual productivity to date, rather than potential, we would have a fair deal for the inconsistent player he is, and a great deal if he lived up to his potential. But if he was insisting on being paid for the various good periods he's shown, rather than the whole picture, then that could lead to a bad contract, like, oh, say Victor Rask's deal. 

This whole aspect of this thing makes losing Lindholm more palatable, and given that Hamilton is already most of what we'd want Hanifin to be, and we also might get Fox, that deal will look a lot better for us if Linholm gets overpaid. Which I'm guessing is also what you're thinking?

Well, there you go.

Seems the natives are getting restless.  It is the dog days of the off-season, so there is very little to discuss.  If we make the playoffs, then we are going in the right direction.  If we get league-average goaltending, we will.  If we can get that is an open question.  

Luke with a pretty straightforward article on Darling and his return in N/O: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214384079.html

I would love more details on this one:

The Hurricanes' new management team did have one opportunity to trade Darling's contract this summer but decided his history as a backup with the Blackhawks offered enough reason to gamble that Darling.....

As to how bad he was last year:

"...based on several different advanced metrics, had one of the four worst seasons in the past decade by any goalie to appear in half of his team's games and one of the 11 worst in the past 30 years, per hockey-reference.com...."

One way of looking at that, though is that there is simply no way that Darling is that bad. A lot of the article describes how and why the Canes brass is betting on Darling turning things around with training, etc. I will say this. If it works, our brass should get a lot of credit for a gutsy move, and if not, they should face the music of making such a huge bet on not one, but two guys coming off of really bad and even horrid seasons.

I am cautiously optimistic since he has dropped a lot of weight and is getting a second chance at life and seems to be trying to take advantage of it. Stressing the cautious part though.

I think the training is great. Glad he will be in better shape. Not too sure what is condition had to do with him losing the net so often. Sometimes he looked worse than a pick up goalie flopping around on the ice, no where near his net. I hope they are working on technique as well as conditioning. Until he proves otherwise, I'm not convinced it has to get better. It is a huge gamble.

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Until he proves otherwise, I'm not convinced it has to get better. It is a huge gamble.

I happen to agree, a huge gamble. At the same time it is so hard not to root for this guy and want him to succeed. 

• Like 2