The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

33 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I think the training is great. Glad he will be in better shape. Not too sure what is condition had to do with him losing the net so often. Sometimes he looked worse than a pick up goalie flopping around on the ice, no where near his net. I hope they are working on technique as well as conditioning. Until he proves otherwise, I'm not convinced it has to get better. It is a huge gamble.

The article addresses that a bit.  Basically, he completely "lost it" on all levels.

The appearance at worlds, and his speaking to The Kids was intentional on management's part to give him a purpose and try to get him out of that complete lost hole.

Good article, I have to admit.

58 minutes ago, remkin said:

Luke with a pretty straightforward article on Darling and his return in N/O: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214384079.html

.....I am cautiously optimistic since he has dropped a lot of weight and is getting a second chance at life and seems to be trying to take advantage of it. Stressing the cautious part though.

Thanks Rem.  Good article.

I've been a major critic of Darling and what he failed to deliver last year.  I was certainly in favor of cutting losses and shipping him out.  I'm glad to see that management is keeping a sharper focus and more scrutiny in evaluating his overall readiness.  This article provides some hope (there's that 4 letter word again).

I do trust in Rod, Waddell and TD to stay on top of this for the good of the other players and the upcoming season. Darling is by far the biggest risk to this team, but just may be ready to deliver on the original deal.  Being in shape, staying focused, and playing to one's ability should be automatic for a pro.  He owes it to himself, the other players and us fans to get it right.

I agree OBXer, it is "hard not to root for this guy and want him to succeed."  

• Like 1

That was a really good article from DeCock.  So far, Darling seems to be doing everything he can to be successful this year.  Let's hope he can "rise from the ashes" once again.

The article made it pretty clear that everybody, including Scott himself, were just wishing and hoping everything was OK.  They all were assuming things would work out.

I think I just let my foot off the gas and figured it would just work out as is. - Scott Darling

And Justin Williams, speaking for the team, basically said nobody knew him or his issues or what was going on.  After he was hung out to dry by BP on a few of those horrific games, it sounded like the team delinked and let him deal with it on his own because they didn't know his "normal."  

Basically, it was a bad situation and nobody acknowledged it until it was too late.  You can speak about "professionals" and all that, but that's water over the dam.  The only good news here is they (Scott, the management and hopefully the team) are doing things 180 degrees differently this year.  

I'll be interested to see what happens in about 6 weeks or so when the team starts informal workouts on their own.  And if any team needs it, this one does, including Darls.  Somebody better well lead a player driven camp.

Edited by wxray1

It is obvious to me that they(the committee) have grilled him mentally and made this decision he can come back.  Now he is in the physical grilling phase 2.  3rd phase can only be realized on the ice in game action. The Mental phase.  Unfortunatley we have to wait for that to know.  I personally will be praying for his success.  Not just for my selfish hockey fan reasons but for him as a person. Some may understand this: When you conquer your demons once(which he did) they dont forget and want you back.  That NEVER ends.  Win the battle Scott.  For yourself 1st and then for the team and the fans next.  Myself and I know many others are rooting for you.  Don't pay attention to the negativity, thats only the other side trying to pull you back in. You can do this.

• Like 1

I am one of many that are poised and ready to back Scott.  If he does his part we'll be with you.  We all want the same thing, success.

• Like 1

You see that is the difference for me.  I am not waiting for him to provide anything for me before I get behind him, I am going on faith that it will happen.

The "Field of Dreams" mentality if you will. This is just me and sincerely not meant as a better way or a criticism of anyone else.  He has taken responsibility for his failure last season and I forgive him for that.  I am quite sure knowing his background no one feels the pain of his failure more than he does.  Of course i could be wrong. Well see.

If the Committee is working effectively, the value of input from different sources will vary depending on the issue.  Regarding Darling, I'm guessing that Mike Bales carried the most weight regarding the odds of Darling "rising from the ashes", with Bill Burniston perhaps providing important input, as well.  I'm sure that Waddell/ Dundon provided much of "cost" part of the risk-reward/cost-benefit equation, which was unfortunately a big part of the calculus.  And that Roddy's voice was heard, probably much louder than RF would have heard BP in a similar situation.

I'm not a fan of going into the season with just Darling and Mrazek, but the committee obviously has way more info than I do, and I didn't see any obvious markedly better options out there, so I'll get behind the program and hope for the best.  

Edited by LakeLivin

6 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Steve Smith resigned   as Assistant coach .  So sad to see him leave  .  That must mean Tim Gleason is getting the job . 

Wonder if he is going to Calgary, or if he has had enough.

Good read on Darling.  I feel better about the prospect of a bounce back year after that.  Sounds like he's facing the problem head on, and it sounds like the team has bought in.

• Like 2

I'd like to know more about their ability to trade his contract. Must of been very poor return to not offload the elephant in the room but still better than a buyout.

1 minute ago, slapshot02 said:

I'd like to know more about their ability to trade his contract. Must of been very poor return to not offload the elephant in the room but still better than a buyout.

Perhaps a return cap dump?

21 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Perhaps a return cap dump?

Perhaps Lake, perhaps part of the Earlier Chicago rumors.Darling back to Chicago and we take Hossa's  contract ++

Edited by slapshot02

41 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think your point has merit with the addition of, who in this UFA goalie class is a for sure thing? Most have the potential to pull a Darling next season.  If they did the Canes would be stuck with 2 bad contracts (the bad contract involved in the Darling swap and the new Darling). In the end you buy some insurance (mzarek) and invest money in your current asset (counseling, conditioning, and goalie work outs).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think your point has merit with the addition of, who in this UFA goalie class is a for sure thing? Most have the potential to pull a Darling next season.  If they did the Canes would be stuck with 2 bad contracts (the bad contract involved in the Darling swap and the new Darling). In the end you buy some insurance (mzarek) and invest money in your current asset (counseling, conditioning, and goalie work outs).

What if Chicago felt that Crawford was a risk as well? Would you pull the trigger then?

Just now, slapshot02 said:

What if Chicago felt that Crawford was a risk as well? Would you pull the trigger then?

It would be funny if Chicago starts next season with Ward and Darling

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Idk?  What if he goes to Chicago and plays well?  We look double silly! Now of course we look like geniuses if he plays terribly in Chicago and our new goalie plays like a decent #1.  Its a gamble either way. 

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Idk?  What if he goes to Chicago and plays well?  We look double silly! Now of course we look like geniuses if he plays terribly in Chicago and our new goalie plays like a decent #1.  Its a gamble either way. 

I was suggesting that we take Crawford if Chicago thought he was a high risk.

If Briscoe makes a come back and becomes a better than average goalie with a decent save percentage, do we have the scoring to push to wins?

15 minutes ago, winger52 said:

If Briscoe makes a come back and becomes a better than average goalie with a decent save percentage, do we have the scoring to push to wins?

Great question.  I would answer too early too tell with a lineup that may not be complete. 

Speaking of the lineup, at some point I hope somebody in Charlotte now can force their way in and be significant going forward.  We all say Francis rebuilt the farm but until we are making hams it is what it is.

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Based on how things played out, I’m wondering if management saw no sure thing to bring in as a #1. For the last several years, Cam has not been an adequate #1. There was risk in any decision they made, but with full commitment by Darling, they must have felt his ceiling was higher than Cam who can’t carry the load of a #1 anymore. Seems Darling is all in on the physical side of what went wrong. Only time will tell if he can get over the mental strain of last year. He’s overcome long odds before though.

• Like 1