The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

9 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Someone on this board used to joke about Chad LaRose hitting the center of the chest perfectly on every shot.  The proprietary stats guys would know this.  :)

I suggest if anyone is interested in how this kind of works, go to a Mudcats or Burlington Royals game and sit behind one of the numerous stats takers.  They are easy to spot.  At the Mudcats, you can just walk over and peek over their shoulders.  I happened to be at a Royals game and sat next to the guy.  EVERY pitch had multiple parameters entered.  Every ball in play had more parameters entered, foul or otherwise.  And if a player reaches base, even more.

You can imagine for hockey this is a bit harder to do.  The drill is similar.

A bit harder? Crunching number while waiting on the next pitch, yeah they've got the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

From a Analytics point of view   Jeff Skinner in his Career  has  579 games .  204 goals .  175 assist .  379 points  and a minus 96  

I we were to round out that math Skinner has had 3 times he played a full 82 game season ,   and has had 3 times with a  70+  game seasons  1 time with a   64 game season and  1 time for a 42  game season due to lockout .  So all together  that makes him  very capable of playing healthy . 

Here is where the Math rounds out .    The  +/-  Stat  takes into account when a player is on ice and a goal is scored ,  it is a plus  when your teams scores and is a minus when the other team scores  .   

If you were to count against  the -96 stat of Jeff Skinner   towards his goals  then you  end up with 108 goals back in a 579 game span 

For his Assist   it would be  79 

If you were to  be  his total points it would then be  283

283 of contribution   vs  579 games   . , If you were to minus all that then you would have 296 points given back to the team .  

In the end it is a negative stat   but not far behind  on a team that has been losing  for 9 years straight   with the amount of games Skinner has had . 

Typically players on winning teams  change this stat all together  and it is quite possible Skinners stats might be very different on a winning team . 

But if you are doing things that prevent other teams from scoring on you  then you can be the benefactor of changing  what your  +/-   stat ends up being on the team .   You are Correct  Top Shelf   !

Wonkiest math I've ever seen?

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

The  +/-  Stat  takes into account when a player is on ice and a goal is scored ,  it is a plus  when your teams scores and is a minus when the other team scores  . 

Free Slapshot's Meme

44 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wonkiest math I've ever seen?

I gave up after reading it a second time. I had 2 late work shifts followed by an early shift after 4 hours sleep this morning. Figured a nap was a better use of my time before dinner.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Really man ?   you are a mod , show some class man !

With all respect, wonkiest math I've ever seen. How's that?

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Just

Knock

It

Off!!!

10 hours ago, winger52 said:

A bit harder? Crunching number while waiting on the next pitch, yeah they've got the time.

Yep.  Maybe a slight bit more than a bit.  :)

I've read and listened to two different camps on this.

- Boots on the ground.  Multiple people at the game taking these advance parameters.  Only human eyes can see the subtleties.

- Computer vision and AI.  Computers analyze video.  They can do it all.

I suspect in the end, both will be required.

1 minute ago, wxray1 said:

Yep.  Maybe a slight bit more than a bit.  :)

I've read and listened to two different camps on this.

- Boots on the ground.  Multiple people at the game taking these advance parameters.  Only human eyes can see the subtleties.

- Computer vision and AI.  Computers analyze video.  They can do it all.

I suspect in the end, both will be required.

And in the end it all means nothing until the game is played.

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Seriously?  You come in here and walk on top of everybody with your "knowledge" and "research" like you invented hockey, and then get your panties in a knot when somebody doesn't bow down to you.  Take a step back and don't try to win every point.  It's a discussion, not a personal platform to ram you ideas down everyone's throats. 

I hate to even respond, because this is exactly what you want.  The internet is full of people who thrive on the emotional high they get by feeling like they get under somebody else's skin.  The thing is, you aren't getting under anyone's skin.  I won't lose a minute's sleep over this, but I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines and playing nice while the mods deal with you, especially when you start calling them out publicly. 

• Like 3

I think this season looks very promising for the Hurricanes.    My only concern is the goalie situation and I am hoping that both of our goalies live up to their potential.   Past stats on both of these guys are very good.  I hope recent stats were just bumps in the road.   If our goalies can live up to their potential we are going to have a great year.  The year that we won the cup my wife and I went to every game that year except 2.   We went to every playoff game and were there for the 7th game of the Stanley Cup win.   Man would I love to relive that again.  The excitement level was so high that I could not sleep most nights waiting for the next game.   I think the new owner and management are doing a great job but as we all know until the win column is greater than the loss column.....nothing else matters.    A couple more moves and we are good to go.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I think this season looks very promising for the Hurricanes.    My only concern is the goalie situation and I am hoping that both of our goalies live up to their potential.   Past stats on both of these guys are very good.  I hope recent stats were just bumps in the road.   If our goalies can live up to their potential we are going to have a great year.  The year that we won the cup my wife and I went to every game that year except 2.   We went to every playoff game and were there for the 7th game of the Stanley Cup win.   Man would I love to relive that again.  The excitement level was so high that I could not sleep most nights waiting for the next game.   I think the new owner and management are doing a great job but as we all know until the win column is greater than the loss column.....nothing else matters.    A couple more moves and we are good to go.  

I can see Faulk being moved due to a mini logjam on D at the moment. I can’t see getting rid of Skinner and losing someone who is more than capable of 30+. That’s hard to replace. One stat I haven’t heard mentioned is that Skins draws a ton of penalties and has given the Canes a lot of PP ops. Maybe one of the stat guys can find this number because it’s top or near top of the league. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

e1a966ff277632464f1e1b800d92d73b--classi

Welcome Snuffy!

I'm with ya.  That's what we are all chasing, that wonderful ride we had.  We can get there again.  

4 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Welcome Snuffy.

5 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

welcome Snuffy!

I agree with you, and long for that excitement again as well. I'm very thankful we've got a proactive owner who is rolling up his sleeves to help right the ship. 

Wonder how many of you have taken notice of renovations going on at PNC to locker and workout areas? When I mentioned that to Mrs Kjun, her comment was "Great, that gives Rod more room to kill the guys". Some truth to that sentiment.

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wonder how many of you have taken notice of renovations going on at PNC to locker and workout areas? When I mentioned that to Mrs Kjun, her comment was "Great, that gives Rod more room to kill the guys". Some truth to that sentiment.

That's good to hear.  And, based on everything he's said so far, I believe that Dundon is more likely than not working on getting a state of the art practice facility.  Unfortunately that's gonna take a lot longer to implement.

advance stats prediction of rookie production

Vollman has created a point producing predictor based on league points scored and how that typically transfers over to the NHL.

Predictions

Svech- 43.5 points

Zykov- 34 points

Necas 26.5 points

Svech 's is close to what I would expect next season.  I still think he will get close to 50-55. 25 goals and 25 assists.  

Zykov, if playing next to Aho and Turbo plus PP time, should get around 40 just based on opportunity 23 gs, 17as.

Necas should get around 40. 14 goals, 26 assists for his first year.   

47 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I would if I lived there ;)