The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Sad, sad. Ray Emery, goalie for Ottawa, nicknamed "The Razor" dead at 35. Swimming accident being reported on Canes Corner.

Oops, sorry guys, didn't see this had already been started in its own space. Just got back home and hadn't read thoroughly thru our sites?

Edited by KJUNKANE

On 7/15/2018 at 12:48 PM, AWACSooner said:

What pics should they put up instead?  All our playoff trips since 2009?  All our individual trophy winners since 2009?  FatHeads of players like HWSNBN?  ;)

Nope.  Pics of current players having big moments. These kids don’t give a crap about yesteryear. It had nothing to do with them. If TD is serious about turning the page then he should change up the dusty, dated artwork of a different generation of players. 

Perhaps the locker room should have a big of Svechnikov on every single wall.  This will project that he is the guy that will save this franchise by being a dynamic impact now player.  If he caves under pressure or doesn't rise to the occasion after one year then we give him the boot.

Sooooooooooo...we embrace Whaler T-shirts and dump Hurricane history. Sounds like a plan:sarcasm:

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 10:12 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

you mean this Iggy?

Actually this one. 

image.png.626d77ee4bf3550a22ad707ca4f4c074.png

When I get irritated sufficiently I put some in the "penalty box" in my mind.  Length of time varies by level of infraction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Sooooooooooo...we embrace Whaler T-shirts and dump Hurricane history. Sounds like a plan:sarcasm:

"We" is not accurate with respect to Whaler T-shirts. :Aarrg:  Go away Whalers.  Not our history.

• Like 2

Canes would be wise to include at least 1 picture similar to this one for several reasons.

• A constant reminder to the kids of what they're striving for
  • Show that not only is it possible to win the Cup in a small market like Carolina, there's a precedent for it
  • Additional reinforcement that Rod knows what it takes to get it done   

hockey-nhl-finals-carolina-hurricanes-ro

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

Lake,

I would add in the caption when you play your butt off every shift, dont allow anyone to outwork you no matter the name on the back of the jersey, and hit a dude in the mouth this is what can happen.   

When peter Laviolette  was the coach for the Canes  he  had a sentence  placed above  the door way leading out to the Ice  that said . "  It's not about me  , It's  about the guy in front of me "  .  I think something positive and uplifting like that  is what the Canes could use  when  they all face the new season together .    

55 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

When peter Laviolette  was the coach for the Canes  he  had a sentence  placed above  the door way leading out to the Ice  that said . "  It's not about me  , It's  about the guy in front of me "  .  I think something positive and uplifting like that  is what the Canes could use  when  they all face the new season together .    

They also had a graphic that said, "What ever it takes."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

When peter Laviolette  was the coach for the Canes  he  had a sentence  placed above  the door way leading out to the Ice  that said . "  It's not about me  , It's  about the guy in front of me "  .  I think something Edit"motivating" Edit  like that  is what the Canes could use  when  they all face the new season together .    

How about  " If I dont bring it, the guy behind me will kick my *edit* into the Press box".  And if he doesnt the coach wiil.

• Like 1

Interesting question with 3 players coming off Shoulder surgery (de Haan, Pesce, and Rask), do you think we hold onto Faulk until August or later to see how Pesce is feeling after the surgery?  Dont want another Rask repeat.  The 6 month mark after the surgery is early October for Rask and Pesce.

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Interesting question with 3 players coming off Shoulder surgery (de Haan, Pesce, and Rask), do you think we hold onto Faulk until August or later to see how Pesce is feeling after the surgery?  Dont want another Rask repeat.  The 6 month mark after the surgery is early October for Rask and Pesce.

Don't know .  There has not been much talk into  trades lately  in regards for Faulk and it's very possible that Faulk  plays  the season out for the Hurricanes .   I don't see many teams  with a urgency to try to acquire Faulk let alone Skinner   via trade with us any time soon  since things have been put on the back burner  with talks  about Karlsson , Pacioretty or Panarin  for now  as it seems .    And I would assume the Canes are not looking to make a trade just to make a trade for news sake .   We do however  have guys the Canes  can call up this year   ( Jake Bean , Hayden Fleury ,  Trevor Carrick , Michael Fora , and Roland McKeown )   if  there was a spot  indeed open .  I want to see how Jake Bean does this year in the Checkers before he gets played in the  NHL  first  . 

I see no basis on which to determine if there is interest or not in either player unless you have a mole in the organization . I could just as easily say there is significant interest just ny reading several websites speculations. It’s a long way to the start of the season.  Several teams have needs remaining we could partner with. Time to wait for someone to blink.

32 minutes ago, cc said:

I see no basis on which to determine if there is interest or not in either player unless you have a mole in the organization . I could just as easily say there is significant interest just ny reading several websites speculations. It’s a long way to the start of the season.  Several teams have needs remaining we could partner with. Time to wait for someone to blink.

Hockey Buzz says several teams, led by Buffalo, are interested in Faulk. There’s no more reliable source than that.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Gocanes, I think Pesce skipped surgery. I recall hearing something about it not being as bad as originally thought and rehab should be adequate.

All I've found on this is one blurb on a CBS fantasy site, a week after it was announced that Pesce was out for the season, citing Chip Alexander as saying he'd opted out of surgery. There is no link to any reporting from Chip, just the attribution. But it seems Brett indeed decided against going under the knife.

Found the source. Brett confirmed it during the end of season interview. Apparently I suck at linking videos. Just search for Pesce on CanesVision...

Edited by DevildogKodi
  • Like 2

Necas getting bigger

great article in the N&O. All the strength training to get larger could be a reason his scoring was low this year.  His scoring could see a good jump with playing and doing muscle maintenance between games versus muscle building.  

He has only gained 53 pounds of muscle since he first met his trainer.  I don't think it is as high as the article states because he has also grown 7 inches. He has gained 53 pounds but not all of it is muscle.

Aho in the off-season

Nothing ground breaking in the article.  He does expect himself and the team to be better next season. He attributes his teammates for his success. He is very open to getting a contract done this off-season.  

translations arent always great but I thought this one was funny: "And who knows - maybe Aho is on a fat million deal?"

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Necas getting bigger

great article in the N&O. All the strength training to get larger could be a reason his scoring was low this year.  His scoring could see a good jump with playing and doing muscle maintenance between games versus muscle building.  

He has only gained 53 pounds of muscle since he first met his trainer.  I don't think it is as high as the article states because he has also grown 7 inches. He has gained 53 pounds but not all of it is muscle.

The bottom line:

“I believe that this season Martin will be more than 100 percent ready for the NHL,” Peca says.

They sure are making it hard to send him to the A. I hate that we're rushing this kid for no good reason, but I hope it works out.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The bottom line:

“I believe that this season Martin will be more than 100 percent ready for the NHL,” Peca says.

They sure are making it hard to send him to the A. I hate that we're rushing this kid for no good reason, but I hope it works out.

I think he was the same size as draft day, we would be rushing him.  But he is nhl sized had a year to physically and mentally prepare himself for the league.  Many people said he was the best player on the ice during development camp.  If we expect Svech to play, why not Necas?