The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

10 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

The bottom line:

“I believe that this season Martin will be more than 100 percent ready for the NHL,” Peca says.

They sure are making it hard to send him to the A. I hate that we're rushing this kid for no good reason, but I hope it works out.

I agree  that rushing someone is never a good idea .  But sometimes  it's the best thing for them in their development   and of course in other times it hinders their development .   Necas  has been playing in a mens league  and  even though he did not play as many games as the NHL   he did fairly well for himself  in that time  and  showed he has the ability to  play and put up points .   The  NHL  will be  a bigger strain on him but   it should also get him to that next level  for his Career   to become a better player  .   All  he has to do is soak up what the coaches here are telling him and  learn from some of the veterans  we do have  and  the process  will work  perfectly .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

I agree  that rushing someone is never a good idea .  But sometimes  it's the best thing for them in their development   and of course in other times it hinders their development .  even though he did not play as many games as the NHL . All  he has to do is soak up what the coaches here are telling him and  learn from some of the veterans  we do have  and  the process  will work  perfectly .  

What?  He has played 1 game in the NHL. Sounds simple.

image.png.cd7260425dc0535991aeff914155fadf.png

Edited by cc

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think he was the same size as draft day, we would be rushing him.  But he is nhl sized had a year to physically and mentally prepare himself for the league.  Many people said he was the best player on the ice during development camp.  If we expect Svech to play, why not Necas?  

Svech is used to the NA game.  Necas isn't and will get lit up just like with what we saw with Lindy.  Was very painful to watch. 

13 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Svech is used to the NA game.  Necas isn't and will get lit up just like with what we saw with Lindy.  Was very painful to watch. 

Necas isnt Lindholm.  Lindholm came right in after he was drafted. Lindholm was drafted at 5'11 and 183lbs. Necas is up to 195 and 6'2.  Again Necas has had a year of preparation, even had 20 days of nhl experience.  So, I dont expect Necas to have the same experience as the smaller Lindholm.  Will every team body Necas, sure, every team tries to punish the rookie.  Unlike like 2013, we have de Haan, Ferland, Mcginn, and Martinook to protect the young man.  Grown men in the Czech league are more physical than the guys in the OHL.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, cc said:

What?  He has played 1 game in the NHL. Sounds simple.

image.png.cd7260425dc0535991aeff914155fadf.png

I meant  in terms of games vs  what the  NHL has  .  I think it was like 24 games   over in europe   and  in the nhl  it's a 82 games .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

The "bigger" picture from that article is Necas is putting in the work and doing all the right things - from nutrition to strength to conditioning and mental preparation to be ready to come in and compete for a spot.  Sounds to me like he is much better prepared to do that than he was a year ago, with another pro season and two tournaments under his belt [which you game counters are ignoring].  Says a lot about a kid that age.  He gets it.

I don't have a crystal ball nor do I know anything about where he should or shouldn't be playing before training camp has even started but IMO he is going to make it tough on the team to leave him off the roster based on the things that are being said and from what I have seen from his play.

Also, Necas is one of the fastest Canes I've seen in a long while.  That kid can move.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

...and Aho was a total failure in the same situation?

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

If we expect Svech to play, why not Necas?  

Because the guys who just played with him at Worlds said he still needs to get a little bigger, he has all of one game on North American ice, and he played just 24 regular-season games last year in the Czech Republic.

Svech has played two full seasons in his last two years. Forty-eight games in 16-17 and 52, including playoff games, in the season just ended. All on North American ice. And in any draft year, there's a big difference between a #2 and a #12.

All of that being said, if the org is hell-bent for election on getting him on this year's roster, I hope it works out. My fear is a repeat of what happened with another player - drafted seven slots higher, a few years back - who was just traded to Calgary.

Y’all are forgetting Lindy came straight over without an extra year odevelopment, unlike Aho and Necas. Looking at now vs a year ago, Necas is roughly the same size as Svechnikov, and a lot of guys that play a skill game like him.  And there’s plenty of examples of guys that’s come over and transitioned from Europe.  No reason to doubt Necas.

• Like 1

I think Aho is the better comparison for Necas than Lindholm. Not so much in physical terms, but progression.  I think Necas would start here even if he were only partially as committed to his offseason and in season workouts as he has been. (BTW I believe that this was a big issue with Lindholm, who a year younger, did not arrive in NHL shape, and who really seemed stunned by the idea that he would not get one more year in Sweden). 

But Necas has followed the Aho model of having a prospects and NHL camp, then one year post draft to have a strong showing in a men's league and then a dominant showing in the World Juniors. Different players, but similar paths.

It's easy to forget, but even last year with his lanky frame and less experience, Necas was driving NHL D men back and looking faster than anyone else out there, which is why I think he'd push for, and win a spot even if he only bulked up a little. Has anyone seen Aho or Teravainen in street clothes? Not exactly NFL Tackles. 

But to read that piece about Necas bulking up and really putting that kind of time and commitment into it just locks it down. This is a guy you will notice in camp and pre-season. His skill-at-speed game is "future star, stands out from really good players" good. Necas will not see the AHL, and he'll be fine for it. 

Necas, Svech and Aho all have super star potential, with TT right on the cusp of it. This is going to be a fast, skilled team sooner than later.

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

Necas, Svech and Aho all have super star potential, with TT right on the cusp of it. This is going to be a fast, skilled team sooner than later.

I am so hoping we will look back on this as “the beginning”

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Because the guys who just played with him at Worlds said he still needs to get a little bigger, he has all of one game on North American ice, and he played just 24 regular-season games last year in the Czech Republic.

Svech has played two full seasons in his last two years. Forty-eight games in 16-17 and 52, including playoff games, in the season just ended. All on North American ice. And in any draft year, there's a big difference between a #2 and a #12.

All of that being said, if the org is hell-bent for election on getting him on this year's roster, I hope it works out. My fear is a repeat of what happened with another player - drafted seven slots higher, a few years back - who was just traded to Calgary.

You do realize that in those 24 regular-season games, he was The League MVP!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/awards?name=Czech+Extraliga+Most+Valuable+Player+(Zlatá+helma+Sencor)

Not sure what anybody thinks he still needs to prove...

Edited by cclifford10

Why can't we just let Necas prove whether he belongs?  My money is on his play.  Anyway, anytime a skilled Euro kid comes over we will hear all the same things - not big or strong enough, the schedule is longer here, has to adjust to the smaller ice, just has to go to Charlotte just because and on an on, like we know jack squat about anything.

• Like 3

I do believe that Mrazek is going to be our  starting goalie  for a good number of years  , as for darling  im still on the fence  if he will be the guy .   If things  go bad i wonder if  the canes could still make a trade with chicago    and bring back ward for darling lol 

7 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

just because and on an on, like we know jack squat about anything. 

Amen brother- Idle speculation is just that.  There is so much mental aspect that no one can predict (especially with goalies).  Hockey Doldrums are the worst.

8 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

You do realize that in those 24 regular-season games, he was The League MVP!

https://www.eliteprospects.com/awards?name=Czech+Extraliga+Most+Valuable+Player+(Zlatá+helma+Sencor)

Not sure what anybody thinks he still needs to prove...

Yeah, I do. And you realize that you can fit 110 Czech Republics in the continental US? And that he will have played an equal number of games in the coming season to what he played all of last year--by December 15th?

I really want Necas to succeed, and believe he has the tools in spades. But it's not like we are starved for other prospect talent at C (Wallmark, Roy) who have played four times as many games as he did last year, across a much larger geography, and on North American ice. I just don't see any sense at all in rushing him. Doing so with Lindy was (almost) excusable, given the total lack of roster talent in Raleigh. But that's changed, so why not give him some time in the A, let him dominate there, adapt to the smaller ice, and further increase his acumen?

Oh, that's right. Because we want to sell tickets. 

23 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I really want Necas to succeed, and believe he has the tools in spades. But it's not like we are starved for other prospect talent at C (Wallmark, Roy) who have played four times as many games as he did last year, across a much larger geography, and on North American ice.

I can't say that I have focused a great deal of time on watching Wallmark, but I did make it from Raleigh to Charlotte a couple of times last year and went to watch the Checkers.  From what I saw of Wallmark there, and from some of the limited games with the Canes, I just don't see the upside for much more than a 4th (maybe 3rd) line center in the NHL.  Today's game is about speed.......

40 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yeah, I do. And you realize that you can fit 110 Czech Republics in the continental US? And that he will have played an equal number of games in the coming season to what he played all of last year--by December 15th?

I really want Necas to succeed, and believe he has the tools in spades. But it's not like we are starved for other prospect talent at C (Wallmark, Roy) who have played four times as many games as he did last year, across a much larger geography, and on North American ice. I just don't see any sense at all in rushing him. Doing so with Lindy was (almost) excusable, given the total lack of roster talent in Raleigh. But that's changed, so why not give him some time in the A, let him dominate there, adapt to the smaller ice, and further increase his acumen?

Oh, that's right. Because we want to sell tickets. 

We have a too many options for all the pessimism.  

If he is ready, which all signs point to, then he stays

If he is close to ready, send him down to Charlotte before 10 games is up, and bring up Wallmark.  Necas' ELC will slide another year

If he really doesnt look ready, keep him for 9 games and send him back to the Czech league, his ELC will slide another year.  

10 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Why can't we just let Necas prove whether he belongs?  My money is on his play.  Anyway, anytime a skilled Euro kid comes over we will hear all the same things - not big or strong enough, the schedule is longer here, has to adjust to the smaller ice, just has to go to Charlotte just because and on an on, like we know jack squat about anything.

I'll hold my comments until I see him play. I'll be in a better position to offer my EXPERT analysis. Image result for thumbs up or down

Who Plays, Who Dont, Who's Ready and Who's not..I hope RB is ready to make these decisions and although he wasnt my first choice for the job, im pulling for the guy to be successful...

For those who have put Artemi Panarin"s name out for us to consider, I think the present saga playing out in the media at least, between him and Kekalainen is interesting? From what I sense, his teammates, or at least a few, were somewhat shocked that a deal has not been consummated. Now I do not pretend to know anything about Columbus, but what this all sounds like is the kid wants the "bright lights", and without a significant other, with its responsibilities, I see no way the Canes could be in on his attraction to our area?

14 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

For those who have put Artemi Panarin"s name out for us to consider, I think the present saga playing out in the media at least, between him and Kekalainen is interesting? From what I sense, his teammates, or at least a few, were somewhat shocked that a deal has not been consummated. Now I do not pretend to know anything about Columbus, but what this all sounds like is the kid wants the "bright lights", and without a significant other, with its responsibilities, I see no way the Canes could be in on his attraction to our area?

There are rumors on Russian sites that that is his top-model girlfriend who wants "bright lights"

2 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

There are rumors on Russian sites that that is his top-model girlfriend who wants "bright lights"

That make sense. How about a "bait and switch with a Carolina Girl" though. Think that might win us some points attracting him?