The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

WRT Rod becoming coach...as much as I worship him, my first though is “hell no.”

But, powerless play aside, I’ll admit I’m really intrigued by the possibility...and part of me wonders how much our powerless play has been handcuffed by maybe Rod’s PP philosophy clashing with BP’s system.  If Rod as a coach is like Rod as a player, then we’ll have the best conditioned team and he’ll definitely hold the players accountable.

Still, I don’t like the idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Caniac514 said:

+1. With all respect to Roddy, please no.

It's feeling to me - based on nothing at all - like Olczyk becomes GM and Vellucci gets the bench. I'd think Roddy would be offered the bench in CLT.

Krepelka's hiring suggests Ronnie will soon be looking for work reunited with JR in Pittsburgh. The "President of Hockey Operations" job was created to prevent firing his behind while the season was still on. When you've already got a manager of HO (Vellucci) and now a VP, the handwriting is on the wall. It's also interesting that Krepelka was an agent in Bobby Orr's group, and represented both Eric and Jordan Staal. Noah left the Orr group when he didn't get an extension last summer.

If the above is the plan and they were to announce it now--well, there are certainly worse messages for a playoff-bound AHL team to receive than "Our coach will be running the NHL bench next year." 

If we decide to shake it all up, I'd like to see a coach and GM from outside the organ-eye-zation, preferably from separate winning programs. I think Rod could be a very good coach, but ideally would get a little more coaching experience first.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Still, I don’t like the idea.

I don't like it purely on grounds that he hasn't bossed a bench at a lower level. But eight years is a long time to be an assistant without getting a bench somewhere, and I'd love to see him "promoted" to CLT HC for a year or two, while Vellucci runs the bench (and maybe then becomes GM) here.

Edit to add: A seeming downside to Vellucci is that he's come up in PK's org. But given his achievements coaching Juniors (468-268-90, playoffs all 13 years and one championship) and CLT's success this year, it's pretty hard to cut him loose. Plus he has management chops.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

But given his achievements coaching Juniors (468-268-90, playoffs all 13 years and one championship) and CLT's success this year, it's pretty hard to cut him loose. Plus he has management chops

If we bring up a few of the Chex then Vellucci has a history with them, In a good way. TB did that with Jon Cooper the year after he won the Calder down on the farm.

Brindy would bring leadership, I don't think anyone can argue with that but I also wonder if he is the guy. Then again I guess there is only one way to find out. I would never underestimate Brindy by  will alone getting the team to respond to him

• Like 1

Two interesting notes on Krepelka:

• he was the agent that negotiated Rick DiPietro's 15-year deal with the NY Islanders, and then had a 32-month dispute after DiPietro refused to pay his agency fees;
  • he dated Jenny McCarthy in 2011

B)

Ohhh the drama? Canes are drama laden, and I wish it would end. It needs to soon so plans can begin to be formulated for the draft and busy(I hope) off season.

And I'm sorry Lake, but who is Jenny McCarthy?

On coach Vellucci, that may be our best bet.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Who would consider Drew Doughty for Faulk, some grit and leadership in exchange for their getting younger?

And Lake, I recall now? Why is it just "dated"? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

24 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

(from Wikipedia)

Jennifer Ann McCarthy is an anti-vaccine hack who indirectly caused untold numbers of children to die or become seriously ill because of her uniformed opinion and ability to spout it on national media.

FIFY

25 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Who would consider Drew Doughty for Faulk, some grit and leadership in exchange for their getting younger?

And Lake, I recall now? Why is it just "dated"? 

It would cost us a crapton more than any sane GM would pay just to get Doughty, and then we’d have to add a few 1sts to sweeten the deal

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

It would cost us a crapton more than any sane GM would pay just to get Doughty, and then we’d have to add a few 1sts to sweeten the deal

Not sure that's true AWACS, as rumored he wants out of LA? If so, and with I think 1 yr remaining on his deal, that lessens significantly what could be asked? And as I propose, at least LA would have a younger, and less expensive replacement? "A few 1st", I don't think so.

8 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Sort of on topic question, does anybody watch the games on Sling TV?

I do

Just now, PenaltyKiller17 said:

What package would I need to buy to get the games?  Very confused.

The Blue if you are in Carolina.  I think. That is what I have. You can search by zip to see what is available in your area for each package

5 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The Blue if you are in Carolina.  I think. That is what I have. You can search by zip to see what is available in your area for each package

I live in North Raleigh, and when I typed in my zip code, the only sports channel that came up was FS South.  I didn't think that channel showed the games.

5 minutes ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

I live in North Raleigh, and when I typed in my zip code, the only sports channel that came up was FS South.  I didn't think that channel showed the games.

Blue comes with FS1 and FS2 that have Canes games.  I am looking at some other options as I'm ok with Sling but not entirely satisfied. You can try it 30 days free I think

• Like 1

22 hours ago, remkin said:

If we decide to shake it all up, I'd like to see a coach and GM from outside the organ-eye-zation, preferably from separate winning programs. I think Rod could be a very good coach, but ideally would get a little more coaching experience first.

It has to be from outside.  No way on Roddy, he was part of the coaching problem.  No way on an AHL coach please!  For just once can we get an experienced NHL head coach and GM that has no ties to the Hurricanes?!! We got to break the curse! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

It has to be from outside.  No way on Roddy, he was part of the coaching problem.  No way on an AHL coach please!  For just once can we get an experienced NHL head coach and GM that has no ties to the Hurricanes?!! We got to break the curse! 

The thing about hiring an experienced NHL head coach is that 9 times out of 10 their experience led to them being fired, and the other 1 out of 10 quit on their team.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Blue comes with FS1 and FS2 that have Canes games.  I am looking at some other options as I'm ok with Sling but not entirely satisfied. You can try it 30 days free I think

With that, you get FS Carolinas as an alternate channel in NC.  BUT, the ones on FS South aren't televised.  

I do Sling during the regular season.  Not a big Sling fan.  Just cancelled, will re up in October, unless a better choice is available.

7 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

With that, you get FS Carolinas as an alternate channel in NC.  BUT, the ones on FS South aren't televised.

You can sign in with sling account and password on the FoxSportsGo  app on Roku and get the games on Fox Sports South. I assume you can do that on any of the streaming services, phone or computer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

You can sign in with sling account and password on the FoxSportsGo  app on Roku and get the games on Fox Sports South. I assume you can do that on any of the streaming services, phone or computer

You're right.  It only took me 3/4 of the season to figure that  out.

And, it'll probably happen that way next season.

Edited by WilmingtonCaniac
Added a thought.
  • Like 1