Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Recommended Posts

Different sport, but a strange similarity:  In the late 80's through 2000 my dad and I raced stock cars at several local tracks in NC, VA, FL, and worked hard.  We didn't have the best equipment because of our budget. (PK's Canes)  We had flashes of success.  Even won a few races.  (PK's Canes)  We kept telling ourselves that when it was no longer fun we would quit.  Having fun together was the key.  THEN in the late 90's, we had an infusion of money and better equipment.  (TD's Canes)  We worked even harder.  (HCRB's Canes)  But we had MORE fun.  Why?  Because we were now competitive.  We were a constant threat at each event and won a few track championships.  (Hopefully TD's Canes!)

2001 brought a family medical issue that forced an end to our hobby.  My void of constant working on the car and tweaking for that next .01 of a lap time second was filled with hockey. 

Kinda like racing - Fast.  Aggressive.  In your face.  ...with the occasional fight using fists instead of tire irons...

My point?  These guys started playing hockey at a young age.  It was FUN.  It's a GAME.  It just so happens they have reached a pinnacle of performance and competition. (and money)  I'm all for the idea of having the guys physically prepared for each match.  I would hope that strategic pairings and such would be implemented by our coaching staff.  The money infusion has brought in some skilled players.  If the "Here's the setup, take your skills and run with it" is the plan, then I'm in.

Face it:  If the guys don't want to be here then they aren't going to perform.  "Professional" or not.  BUT, if they're here; making some decent money; living in a great area; following the setup from HCRB and staff;  then by Golly let 'em have fun.  Show us what you've got guys.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Canes podcast today ,  The guys were talking about the renovations  to the  Canes locker room and area  .  and Shaping it up to be something nice and enticing for the players  that they would be happy  when they came in to see it  night in and night out .  They also mentioned   that having a nice work environment  is strategic  to  building a good working relationship with each other  all the way down to the Canes management staff to the players  and Coaches .   I can't find myself  disagreeing  at all with this approach and This might just be the thing that can get the Canes on track early on  in the season and never lift up the peddle on the gas  to keep going  ! 

 

As Rocky Balboa  once said  " It's not about how hard you hit , It's about how hard you get hit and keep picking yourself back up ! "   and yes i know it's  a fictional character . 

 

The Canes have been  hit  pretty hard over the years . IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME THEY PICK THEMSELVES BACK UP ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pepcane said:

Different sport, but a strange similarity:  In the late 80's through 2000 my dad and I raced stock cars at several local tracks in NC, VA, FL, and worked hard.  We didn't have the best equipment because of our budget. (PK's Canes)  We had flashes of success.  Even won a few races.  (PK's Canes)  We kept telling ourselves that when it was no longer fun we would quit.  Having fun together was the key.  THEN in the late 90's, we had an infusion of money and better equipment.  (TD's Canes)  We worked even harder.  (HCRB's Canes)  But we had MORE fun.  Why?  Because we were now competitive.  We were a constant threat at each event and won a few track championships.  (Hopefully TD's Canes!)

2001 brought a family medical issue that forced an end to our hobby.  My void of constant working on the car and tweaking for that next .01 of a lap time second was filled with hockey. 

Kinda like racing - Fast.  Aggressive.  In your face.  ...with the occasional fight using fists instead of tire irons...

My point?  These guys started playing hockey at a young age.  It was FUN.  It's a GAME.  It just so happens they have reached a pinnacle of performance and competition. (and money)  I'm all for the idea of having the guys physically prepared for each match.  I would hope that strategic pairings and such would be implemented by our coaching staff.  The money infusion has brought in some skilled players.  If the "Here's the setup, take your skills and run with it" is the plan, then I'm in.

Face it:  If the guys don't want to be here then they aren't going to perform.  "Professional" or not.  BUT, if they're here; making some decent money; living in a great area; following the setup from HCRB and staff;  then by Golly let 'em have fun.  Show us what you've got guys.  

Off-season thread :winner:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Peters is obviously respected as a coach if he was chosen to be head coach for any Canadian national team.  Maybe his failure here was due to not enough good players.  From my comfy spot in my recliner, I do question if he stifled too much creativity in trying to get the guys to play his system.  Good management of people involves maximizing their strengths, and getting them to do what you want them to do, while thinking they are doing what they want to do.  I think this is the area in which Bill Peters was not successful.  Seems like he wanted every player to be Derek Ryan.

 

edit:  I'll also add that winning is fun, and losing eats at your soul. 

Edited by super_dave_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

edit:  I'll also add that winning is fun, and losing eats at your soul. 

If you let it.  I assume people in Buffalo have no souls then?  LOL   Sorry could not help it and actually didnt even try to.

 

image.png.378de0ac8193e273ab3e936e256f4533.png

Edited by cc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cc said:

If you let it

 

If you can accept losing, you're a loser.  It has nothing to do with "if you let it".  Maybe you were just having a little fun with Buffalo, but I don't agree with the "if you let it" part.  I have played sports a lot in my life, and never at anything close to a high level.  I've played on a lot of bad teams.  I've lost a lot.  It sucks.  I'm the guy that gets mad playing pickup basketball with guys from church, and has to be calmed down.  I've been to a lot of Canes practices over the years.  I can tell you definitely there is a difference in mood when the team is winning (been a long time) and losing.

 

Losing season after season has to eat at an athlete's soul.  If he can accept that, I don't want him on my team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cc said:

If you let it.  I assume people in Buffalo have no souls then?  LOL   Sorry could not help it and actually didnt even try to.

 

image.png.378de0ac8193e273ab3e936e256f4533.png

 

Funny thing about Buffalo.... rabid sports fans who back their teams through thick and thin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

It has nothing to do with "if you let it". 

 

Nothing can eat your soul unless you allow it to happen. 

 

You have free will to do something about it.  You can leave the team, you can try harder, you can reprioritize.

 

Never said anything about accepting losing, To keep losing from eating at you, you eliminate the "losing" part.

 

You are in charge of you, no one else.

 

PS- this is not just about sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cc said:

 

Nothing can eat your soul unless you allow it to happen. 

 

You have free will to do something about it.  You can leave the team, you can try harder, you can reprioritize.

 

Never said anything about accepting losing, To keep losing from eating at you, you eliminate the "losing" part.

 

You are in charge of you, no one else.

 

PS- this is not just about sports.

 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cc said:

 

Nothing can eat your soul unless you allow it to happen. 

 

You have free will to do something about it.  You can leave the team, you can try harder, you can reprioritize.

 

Never said anything about accepting losing, To keep losing from eating at you, you eliminate the "losing" part.

 

You are in charge of you, no one else.

 

PS- this is not just about sports.

When I play soccer and make a mistake and my team loses I usually eat myself couple of days and thinking about mistake again and again. But in pro sport with its schedule you simply cannot afford it. You need to be 100% ready for the next game both physically and mentally. This is not about accepting looser mentality. I think this is more about acknowledging a mistake and going on not focusing on it too much

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If having the Property Brothers reno on the locker room is meeting with the players approval and providing some motivation to come to work everyday then Dundon should go full Monty and do a Flip or Flop on a newer practice rink instead of staying with that joke of a building the team now practices at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

If having the Property Brothers reno on the locker room is meeting with the players approval and providing some motivation to come to work everyday then Dundon should go full Monty and do a Flip or Flop on a newer practice rink instead of staying with that joke of a building the team now practices at. 

 

I'd be surprised if Dundon wasn't working on a new practice facility.  But that's a lot more complex and takes a lot more time than a locker room overhaul.  If he's trying to acquire land for a facility I can see the benefit of keeping the process fairly quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

 

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

It is what it is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look at Noah Hanifin in regards to the you're your own enemy in letting things get to you. His rookie year he was clearly not ok with losing, his body language wasn't of the loser mentality. That changed over his time here. Did he give up on his personal mantra or did the other 19 guys not allow him to be the winner and conforming was just easier?

 

It's all well and good to walk outta your house in the morning determined to be a winner but if the other 19 aren't on board that day it's out of your hands. You can't make the next guy give a crap.

 

Hopefully this near or over 50% locker room changeover gets the funk out.

Edited by legend-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I look at Noah Hanifin in regards to the you're your own enemy in letting things get to you. His rookie year he was clearly not ok with losing, his body language wasn't of the loser mentality. That changed over his time here

 

You mean, like, losing ate at his soul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

If having the Property Brothers reno on the locker room is meeting with the players approval and providing some motivation to come to work everyday then Dundon should go full Monty and do a Flip or Flop on a newer practice rink instead of staying with that joke of a building the team now practices at. 

 

Don Waddell told me personally that Dundon was in discussions with Ammons, a big real estate developer here, to use the new Wake Competition Center now under construction as the Canes new practice facility.  He also said Dundon had some ideas (and funds) to expand the ice rinks to include a second story.  I'm not claiming this as fact as no announcement has been made public, only speculation the Canes will be using that property as the primary practice facility.

 

http://wakecompetitioncenter.com/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

 

Don Waddell told me personally that Dundon was in discussions with Ammons, a big real estate developer here, to use the new Wake Competition Center now under construction as the Canes new practice facility.  He also said Dundon had some ideas (and funds) to expand the ice rinks to include a second story.  I'm not claiming this as fact as no announcement has been made public, only speculation the Canes will be using that property as the primary practice facility.

 

http://wakecompetitioncenter.com/

An upstairs ice rink? Crazy. 

 

 

I keed. Though it's probably possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...