OBXer

Off-Season 2018

44 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

MSG rink is on the fifth floor.

The things they can do these days!

Yes, MSG is 50 years old....but still. 

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

MSG rink is on the fifth floor.

Loved MSG when I lived in NY. Loved taking the escalator up to the ice,felt like you were going into the coliseum. Great facility. For those who haven't been you should try to make it at least once. Nice video attached of the facility.http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/21819079/inside-view-madison-square-garden. Nice tidbit...... never new the Zamboni was so thirsty.

GALLONS OF WATER TO MAKE ICE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 660GALLONS OF WATER ZAMBONI USES EACH GAME
Edited by slapshot02

I think what may be the intention is to open up the space, allowing more seating and making it feel larger, rather than the claustrophobic feel of RCI with that ridiculous low ceiling.

On 7/20/2018 at 5:11 PM, coastal_caniac said:

I think what may be the intention is to open up the space, allowing more seating and making it feel larger, rather than the claustrophobic feel of RCI with that ridiculous low ceiling.

Could be, that would be nice.

Pools are like this.  Too many older facilities have the low roof.  The newer ones have soaring rooflines.  It sounds wrong, but I swear you swim faster and more comfortably with a lot of headroom.

Just so painfully slow right now....here's something to peruse: Last Word on Hockey has a detailed breakdown on our top prospects which they also rank:

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/07/21/carolina-hurricanes-prospects/

It's pretty good. I don't agree with all of it (I'd rank Foegele higher, and they say Svech may need a year of development before NHL which is not happening) but most of it is very good and the scouting details are pretty full. Our cupboard is really full of good to great prospects unlike any time in Carolina history. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Just so painfully slow right now....here's something to peruse: Last Word on Hockey has a detailed breakdown on our top prospects which they also rank:

It's pretty good. I don't agree with all of it (I'd rank Foegele higher, and they say Svech may need a year of development before NHL which is not happening) but most of it is very good and the scouting details are pretty full. Our cupboard is really full of good to great prospects unlike any time in Carolina history. 

Thanks Ronnie!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

If they said   Svechnikov needs another year in development  have either never looked at the tale of the tape  on his stats let alone what league he won ROTY   or clearly have their heads up where the sun dont shine  !    Svechnikov is ready to go .  The NHL is  the perfect place for his "  development "  not another year anywhere else !

This off-season is fairly boring outside of Tavares. JVR was the biggest name in the UFA.

how about next off-season’s potential???

Stone (potentially)

Karlsson

Duchene

Trouba

Skinner

Panarin

Patches

Seguin

Simmonds

Eberle

Schmidt

Ellis

Bobrovsky

Rinne

Varlamov

and it keeps going!!!!

A bunch of the big spenders won’t have a lot of room. Tampa, Toronto, LAK, and Minnesota wont have much of any money to spend.  

Other big spenders will have RFAs to sign first.  

NYIs, Ottawa, SJ, and NJ should be big players although two of the four aren’t ideal places.  Could we be players for a big forward?  I know we will be players for Bob or a year / two of Rinne.  I hope we get Aho and Turbo signed early to have an idea how much room we have.

how many teams are going to be begging teams to take on contracts at the draft? 

Edited by gocanes0506

27 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

This off-season is fairly boring outside of Tavares. JVR was the biggest name in the UFA.

how about next off-season’s potential???

Stone (potentially)

Karlsson

Duchene

Trouba

Skinner

Panarin

Patches

Seguin

Simmonds

Eberle

Schmidt

Ellis

Bobrovsky

Rinne

Varlamov

and it keeps going!!!!

A bunch of the big spenders won’t have a lot of room. Tampa, Toronto, LAK, and Minnesota wont have much of any money to spend.  

Other big spenders will have RFAs to sign first.  

NYIs, Ottawa, SJ, and NJ should be big players although two of the four aren’t ideal places.  Could we be players for a big forward?  I know we will be players for Bob or a year / two of Rinne.  I hope we get Aho and Turbo signed early to have an idea how much room we have.

how many teams are going to be begging teams to take on contracts at the draft? 

I pray  that the Canes can get Seguin and Bobrovsky  but I doubt  it will happen  under current management / owner .  But if it does happen Then I will be surprised ! 

22 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I pray  that the Canes can get Seguin and Bobrovsky  but I doubt  it will happen  under current management / owner .  But if it does happen Then I will be surprised ! 

To break down the Canes 

we have about 42 million in cap space (expecting a 3 million add in cap) 

we have McGinn, Fleury, Aho, Turbo, and PDG as RFAs. 

Williams, Martinook, Ferland, Skinner, and Mrazek are the UFAs.  That is a total of 22 million of salary off from this season and Faulk is expected to come off this season.

I’d expect Aho, Turbo, McGinn, and Fleury to be re-signed. We should still have at least 22 million in space available but less Ferland if retained.  Could add another 3 million if we move Rask and replace with Wallmark. Another if: add 2 million if we buy out Darling. 

With the 4 expected to be kept, we’ll see 18-27 million of space to get a goalie and have room for a big forward.

Z-Aho-Turbo

???-Staal-???

???-Necas-Svech

McGinn-Rask/Wallmark-Foegele

Edited by gocanes0506

52 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

To break down the Canes 

we have about 42 million in cap space (expecting a 3 million add in cap) 

we have McGinn, Fleury, Aho, Turbo, and PDG as RFAs. 

Williams, Martinook, Ferland, Skinner, and Mrazek are the UFAs.  That is a total of 22 million of salary off from this season and Faulk is expected to come off this season.

I’d expect Aho, Turbo, McGinn, and Fleury to be re-signed. We should still have at least 22 million in space available but less Ferland if retained.  Could add another 3 million if we move Rask and replace with Wallmark. Another if: add 2 million if we buy out Darling. 

With the 4 expected to be kept, we’ll see 18-27 million of space to get a goalie and have room for a big forward.

Z-Aho-Turbo

???-Staal-???

???-Necas-Svech

McGinn-Rask/Wallmark-Foegele

I just dont see Zykov  on the first line , maybe a 3rd line player and Center is not naturally Aho's position  I think  he would play the wing if   we were to get Seguin which leads me to this ,  If by a miracle the Canes could get Seguin   he would instantly be on the top line   and then you have Necas  who I think  will be  on the 2nd line at center   which leaves  Staal  to be used for  the 3rd line   and then Rask on the 4th .  That Center line depth would be insane  .  or all of this could fall apart  if Seguin were to re-sign   an extension with Dalas and we get nothing we all lose   Good day sir lol      Svechnikov is going to turn a lot of heads  and  I see him projected on the top line .     As for Bob  .   If the Canes are fortunate to get him despite how good  Mrazek and Darling do  this season ,  YOU STILL   go after BOB ! lol    

It's  not so much about if do   or if we dont need him .  it's about who we could get for him   via trade .  and last time i checked  a players value does not change if they are still  highly sought  after   .    This is my next level thinking gming    that i will  save for a rainy day if i ever need to bring it out . lol 

Z on the top line because of last year’s play with Aho and Turbo. I’d expect that js where he’ll start this season as well.

we go for a center if Aho and Necas struggle this year.  Dallas will be big players in the market next season.  Add NYR to my previous market players list.

If we do well at center, Stone is my big target.  He is a great 2 way forward that would be a great player on Staal’s line.  Adds scoring to a defensively responsible team.

7 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Z on the top line because of last year’s play with Aho and Turbo. I’d expect that js where he’ll start this season as well.

we go for a center if Aho and Necas struggle this year.  Dallas will be big players in the market next season.  Add NYR to my previous market players list.

If we do well at center, Stone is my big target.  He is a great 2 way forward that would be a great player on Staal’s line.  Adds scoring to a defensively responsible team.

Z disappeared towards the end and became non existant.

In the last 5 his ice time was cut. The first 5 games he had 1 game below 13 minutes of ice time, by 1 second btw. He had 3 games in the last 5 below 13 minutes including a 8:47 in the last game.  

Its easy to disappear when you arent getting the same ice time.  

Edited by gocanes0506

As far as goalie goes, I think it depends on how the organizational guys look to see who we target.  If Ned or Helvig look promising, then we go short term for Rinne. I would expect Lou to go hard after Bobrovsky and throw stupid money at him.  7 x 9 million deal or something because Lou doesnt do rebuilds and they suck at goal tending while having very large cap space.  Unless Bob is willing to take less money to play on a more competitive team here, I'd say 7.5-8 million AAV.

If Ned and/or Helvig look to be good tenders in a year or two, I go short term on Rinne.  If Darling and Ned look a little farther off, Varlamov might be the better option.  Varlamov at 5 years, 7 AAV seems about right.  But we should buy out Darling and give Ned the backup.

Aho- 8 years, 56-64 million (depending how this year goes) 7-8 million AAV

Turbo- 7 years 42-45 million (depending how this year goes) 6-6.5 million AAV

McGinn- 3 years, 7.5 million. 2.5 mill AAV

Fluery- 3 years, 6 million. 2 AAV

Depending on Ferland's performance and the readiness of Checkers: if Ferland repeats his physical presence and scores 15-20 goals, the re-sign him to a 3-4 year deal worth 3-4 million AAV

If Ferland isnt the same and a checker or two look ready, maybe we let him walk.

Assuming Stone goes to arbitration, I sign him to a 7 year, 56 million deal (8 AAV). He will make a Staal and Foegele line pretty fantastic.  

Bring back Williams for a year or Ferland for a couple of years at 4 million.  

Buyout Darling, sign Varlamov at 7 mil AAV, and bring back Ned as the backup

A checker will play LW on the 4th line with Wallmark and Williams/Ferland

I'd expect us to have about 8 million in cap space (with a low end growth on the cap).

Zykov-Aho-Teräväinen

Foegele-Staal-Stone

McGinn-Necas-Svechnikov,

Kuokkanen-Wallmark-Williams

Slavin-Hamilton

De Haan-Pesce

Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Varlamov, Semyon

Nedeljkovic, Alex

I know this is a bit countercurrent to the trending thoughts above, which have progressed to fantasy level looking at season after next(I'd just like to confine my thoughts to the upcoming one because who knows what will happen?), but a short blurb I ran across concerning the Checkers was an asst coach hire, Ryan Warsofsky. Seems he's 30 years old, I know Cff that doesn't fit in with your push for established coaches, but he had great success with the SC Stingrays team, coaching them to their 1st playoffs in awhile, Kelly Cup Finals. What caught my eye was his apparent defensive acumen, and that team's success with penalty kill. Maybe we"re developing more than just players in Charlotte?

Edited by KJUNKANE

10 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

and Center is not naturally Aho's position

check your facts. Aho has played both C and W throughout his career and has been projected as a C since the Canes acquired him.

And yeah, Zykov at 1st line winger is crazy. Why would you want the AHL's top goal scorer on your top line? Please.

• Like 1

The other day my son and I watched the hour and 20 minute video on youtube entitled "Carolina Hurricanes: 2006 Stanley Cup Champions DVD." I'm sure most everyone has seen this, but if you haven't it's a great watch (and even if you have it's a great watch again!): 

During the video, I was struck by how many times Rod Brind'Amour both (1) came through on the ice and scored clutch goals when we absolutely had to have them and (2) as captain led the team to rally when we were behind or after a loss.

Lavy says when he saw that RB scheduled a team meeting before Game 7 with Buffalo, he took his team meeting off the board "because they really should only hear his voice at that point." Brett Hedican says, "I've had a lot of other captains through my years, but what Roddy Brind'Amour has done with this team this year and through the course of this playoff run is something I've never seen within a leader of a team." Doug Weight says of RB, "He's inspirational. Every guy on this team answers the bell. That's why we're here. We answer his instruction." And then RB goes out and gets the game winning goal with JWilly later adding an insurance goal (assisted by RB).

Some on this board have criticized Dundon's hiring of RB as head coach on the ground that he's being cheap and should have brought in someone who's been a successful head coach elsewhere. I guess that criticism is fair at some level, but as this video shows, RB as a player and captain was able to bring out the very, very best in his teammates. So few people have the ability not just to be a winner, but to make other people winners. If the leadership, skill, and grit he had as a player can carry over into his coaching, then he could be really, really successful with this team. Most everyone here knows this, and that's why most are willing to give him a chance. I sure am.

BTW, there was a discussion not long ago about the signs to put in the renovated team dressing room. As shown in the video, the two slogans associated with the 2006 championship run were "Whatever it takes" and "Relentless." I say bring 'em back this year! 

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 4

On 7/24/2018 at 9:27 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Maybe we"re developing more than just players in Charlotte?

God- I hope so.

50 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I got a  bad feeling about our goal tending...

You really should have told us all to sit down before slinging out that little tidbit.

• Like 2