The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

So, to recap, we've got the self-appointed "expert" and Eeyore working the boards...

Think I might need some harder drinks for the upcoming season in anticipation of their posts...

On 7/26/2018 at 9:56 AM, spyglass88 said:

The other day my son and I watched the hour and 20 minute video on youtube entitled "Carolina Hurricanes: 2006 Stanley Cup Champions DVD."

I actually went out and bought the DVD in 2006! I'd moved to OK in February of 2006 for work, so I missed the chance to follow the Hurricanes in person for half the season. Not only does it have the video you mentioned, spyglass, but it has the whole TV broadcast of Game 7 of the SCF. I pull it down from the shelf and watch it for old times' sake every once in a while.

I also still have the embroidered Stanley Cup Champions T-shirt that one of my sisters gave me for my birthday in Summer 2006. I haven't worn it in years - it's just hanging in the closet. ?

Edited by JonKerfoot
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

I actually went out and bought the DVD in 2006! I'd moved to OK in February of 2006 for work, so I missed the chance to follow the Hurricanes in person for half the season. Not only does it have the video you mentioned, spyglass, but it has the whole TV broadcast of Game 7 of the SCF. I pull it down from the shelf and watch it for old times' sake every once in a while.

I also still have the embroidered Stanley Cup Champions T-shirt that one of my sisters gave me for my birthday in Summer 2006. I haven't worn it in years - it's just hanging in the closet. ?

Have that DVD as well...took it with me on deployment last year for a morale boost, especially after the Evil Empire won the Cup again.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

So, to recap, we've got the self-appointed "expert" and Eeyore working the boards...

Think I might need some harder drinks for the upcoming season in anticipation of their posts...

I am consistent.   I like everything that has been done this off season with the exception being goal tending.  I'm just not buying into Darling turning it around.

Edited by bluedevil58

21 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I got a  bad feeling about our goal tending...

Actually, after reading the interview with Darling on the website and another in the N&O, I have a much better feeling than I had in April. He may not get to the mountaintop, but it really sounds like he has done everything in his power to become the goalie we thought we signed last year. As opposed to buying out a $12 million contract and taking a chance on another backup goalie with potential, I’m not sure sticking with Darling with his renewed commitment to training and diet, and his willingness to spend most of the summer in Raleigh working with the Canes trainer was not the better play. And Mrazek comes in with a lot to prove as well, and one year to prove it. Would I feel better if we had traded for or signed a proven top 15 goalie? Sure. But that option wasn’t out there. So I’m going to be cautiously optimistic that our tandem can take a big step up from last year. If they both stink it up, another season probably goes down the tubes, but there are probably going to be better options out there a year from now if we do have to buy Darling out (for $4 million less than this year). For now, count me in the Scott Darling fan club. 

17 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

I also have the DVD. I love watching the Game 7 telecast and probably watch it once a year. In my closet hangs a likeness of a Canes jersey with the #06 and the name above it “Cup Champs.” Need a new one to go with it.

• Like 1

According to this article Faulk doesn't have a NTC clause. https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/hurricanes-still-have-power-to-alter-nhls-power-balance-this-off-season

" There is simply too big an overflow on defense for us not to foresee another trade, and it has to involve Faulk. He has two years left on his contract at a highly team-friendly $4.83-million cap hit, he has zero movement restrictions on his deal, and he has been somewhat marginalized in recent seasons, seeing a decline in his minutes and responsibility. It makes enormous sense to trade Faulk and, as a 26-year-old righthander, he has the ability to significantly impact the fate of whichever team gets him. It’s no secret the Toronto Maple Leafs want that mobile right-handed shot on D, but the team to watch closest is arguably the Chicago Blackhawks. They are desperate for help on defense as longtime stalwarts Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook creep deeper into their 30s. Chicago cleared cap and roster space by sending Hossa’s contract, blueliner Jordan Oesterle and winger/center Vinnie Hinostroza to the Arizona Coyotes."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I am consistent.   I like everything that has been done this off season with the exception being goal tending.  I'm just not buying into Darling turning it around.

True...

But I’m seeing a LOT of positive signs from Mongo as far as workout and contrition in interviews that lead me to believe he’s doing everything he can to turn it around.

I’m still for keeping him on a short leash, though, but nothing screams “we’re doomed” at this point.

Shows how much real research the author did if he didn't know Fleury played 67 games last year.  Bid duh. 

"That leaves two right-handed shots, Trevor van Riemsdyk and Justin Faulk, as the bottom pair, with prospect Haydn Fleury likely ready for NHL duty but without a spot available in the lineup, and with two other good prospects in the system in Jake Bean and Fox."

But to Lake's point it seems folks are all over the place on this.  Considering the above, not sure I trust this.

• Like 1

As a segue, Corey Crawford ‘hopes’ to be ready when the Hawks open camp. He refuses to talk about what the injury even is. Would be ironic for Cam to start the season who also just got his first taste of big city hockey at the Hawks Fan Fest that had enough fans to fill a stadium. 

he has zero movement restrictions on his deal,

All this tells me is that the writer had to get his weekly column out and never even listened to the Dundon interview that went up as he was writing. He cobbled together a column based on old info, paid a visit to Cap Friendly, found nothing under "clauses" for Faulk, and made an assumption.

I'm much more inclined to believe that there is a clause, given the reports of other writers, who actually do research and do not list fantasy hockey and their own eyebrows as key interests in their bios. Not to mention the team's openness about its efforts to move Faulk prior to July 1.

Of course, if the N&O had anything even resembling an actual hockey beat writer, we fans would have known for sure a long time ago. It's as simple as asking Waddell.

Edited by top-shelf-1

15 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Stormy resigns.

Way to go Dundon, you cheap skate.

Stormy resigned to move on to the next chapter of his life and I respect that.  He has a young family and made the choice to have a regular day job to spend more time seeing his child grow up.  I would wager this was not money decision.

1 hour ago, bambamcanefan said:

Stormy resigned to move on to the next chapter of his life and I respect that.  He has a young family and made the choice to have a regular day job to spend more time seeing his child grow up.  I would wager this was not money decision.

Can't be.  All personnel decisions are predicated by Dundon's cheapness.

Dundon's cheapness also caused global warming and world hunger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenaltyKiller17 said:

Big Mike posted it on Facebook a couple days ago.

Thanks.  I don't do Facebook or any other social media.  This forum is about as close as I get.  Too many things people post come back to bite them in the butt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bambamcanefan said:

I always thought that Stormy did a great job as a mascot. The slide down the railings was impressive, He and Cappy danced at my daughters wedding and it was a special moment for all in attendance.  Good luck and thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

All this tells me is that the writer had to get his weekly column out and never even listened to the Dundon interview that went up as he was writing. He cobbled together a column based on old info, paid a visit to Cap Friendly, found nothing under "clauses" for Faulk, and made an assumption.

I'm much more inclined to believe that there is a clause, given the reports of other writers, who actually do research and do not list fantasy hockey and their own eyebrows as key interests in their bios. Not to mention the team's openness about its efforts to move Faulk prior to July 1.

Of course, if the N&O had anything even resembling an actual hockey beat writer, we fans would have known for sure a long time ago. It's as simple as asking Waddell.

Could be, but the funny thing is that in light of the conflicting reports CapFriendly is the main reason I don't think he has one.  I don't think I've seen a mistake on that site yet (not that there couldn't be one).  I wonder if we'll ever know for sure?  Unless Faulk has a NTC and vetoes something, seems like there's a good chance that if he's traded there's no reason for the team to mention whether or not there was a NTC, especially since they haven't said anything about it as of yet.

4 hours ago, g105 said:

What's this about Stormy resigning?  I can't find anything about it.  Anyone have a link? 

Heard hes going into BBQ?:devil:

Mods we need the rimshot emoji.

Edited by Derailed75

6 hours ago, bambamcanefan said:

Rumors are he bought a hot dog wagon. No sausage allowed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Could be, but the funny thing is that in light of the conflicting reports CapFriendly is the main reason I don't think he has one.  I don't think I've seen a mistake on that site yet (not that there couldn't be one).  I wonder if we'll ever know for sure?  Unless Faulk has a NTC and vetoes something, seems like there's a good chance that if he's traded there's no reason for the team to mention whether or not there was a NTC, especially since they haven't said anything about it as of yet.

I read a different article yesterday which of course escapes me at the moment that stated he does not have a MNTC or NMC. Might ask the question in the next round of Canes tweets.