The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

On 8/2/2018 at 11:31 PM, hockeybaby said:

Storm Squad should be next on the chopping block. Let's get 10 pigs on skates to rally the crowd.

Either that, or add a beefcake squad so the org is at least objectifying both genders. 

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

The Sporting News ranked all 31 NHL prospect pools.

Carolina is ranked #4.

Pittsburgh is ranked #31.

James Rutherford in action. All that remains is to make Ronnie his assistant/heir apparent.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:41 AM, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t think it was mentioned yet but the Canes locker room budget increase from 310k to 500k was approved.  

Have you got a link for that?  I'd like to pass it on in some other forums when someone locks onto the "Dundon won't spend" mantra.

18 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Have you got a link for that?  I'd like to pass it on in some other forums when someone locks onto the "Dundon won't spend" mantra.

although Im not big fan of using twitter as my only news source but, I couldnt find an actual written record (although not unexpected). Atleast Chip is fairly trustworthy.

Chip Alexander's tweet

Just a heads up that NHL.com is highlighting/previewing a new team each day.

Today is Carolina’s turn, so several articles about the Canes have been posted.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Just a heads up that NHL.com is highlighting/previewing a new team each day.

Today is Carolina’s turn, so several articles about the Canes have been posted.

Basically, are the hurricanes good enough to make the playoffs?

No.

Used a bunch of "I don't knows" to cover up how bad this team looks.

Edited by bluedevil58

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t know that Ronnie could rebuild it without any picks to do so.

Oh, he can't. But he's Ron Francis, returning hero. That should buy him at least a year or two of playing with his desk set in the Pens' executive offices.

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

Basically, are the hurricanes good enough to make the playoffs?

No.

Used a bunch of "I don't knows" to cover up how bad this team looks.

You will never be accused, Fat Stacks, of having the sun shine out your... well, you know.

Geez, we need the season to start.

The cranks are crankier than ever.

The optimists are defending every single comment.

And comedy, or even attempts thereof, fail badly.

2 months.  Please.  Time machine?

21 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Oh, he can't. But he's Ron Francis, returning hero. That should buy him at least a year or two of playing with his desk set in the Pens' executive offices.

So, how did all these hot shots we've got in Charlotte get here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winger52 said:

So, how did all these hot shots we've got in Charlotte get here?

Sheer. Dumb. Luck.

No, point taken. I think there is fairly universal agreement here that RF did a great job of mopping up in the wake of the *edit* storm that was James Rutherford.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Based on the reporting I've seen, I think that - barring something happening with us on the Patch front - a deal is already in place with the Hawks of Faulk for Saad, to be finalized prior to camp. I think the Hawks are just waiting to see if they'll need a goalie too, given Crawford's questionable status

Question for the board:  let's assume Chicago does need a goalie and wants Darling back.  A month or so ago I think it's safe to say that we'd have paid the Hawks to take Darling and his contract.  Given Darling's conditioning work this summer (and how that effects your estimate of the probability of him rebounding), and the likely replacements available if we were to move him (not very good from what I can tell), has his value changed at all in your mind at this point? 

I can't see him as having too much of a positive value to the Canes, but given the above, has he moved into neutral territory for anyone?  I.e., would you rather roll the dice with him than pay a lot to have someone take him off your hands, knowing the likely alternatives that are available right now?  

On 8/6/2018 at 8:43 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

Either that, or add a beefcake squad so the org is at least appreciating both genders.  

Lemme fix that for you. its glass half full/half empty thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Question for the board:  let's assume Chicago does need a goalie and wants Darling back.  A month or so ago I think it's safe to say that we'd have paid the Hawks to take Darling and his contract.  Given Darling's conditioning work this summer (and how that effects your estimate of the probability of him rebounding), and the likely replacements available if we were to move him (not very good from what I can tell), has his value changed at all in your mind at this point? 

I can't see him as having too much of a positive value to the Canes, but given the above, has he moved into neutral territory for anyone?  I.e., would you rather roll the dice with him than pay a lot to have someone take him off your hands, knowing the likely alternatives that are available right now?  

Stranger things have happened, but if Crawford can't go for Chicago, I have to think the Hawks look elsewhere first. They are in the same boat as us with goaltending: They need to find their next #1 for the long haul, and now's as good a time as any, with Bobs and Varly available next summer, to cobble together whatever they can with an eye towards next off-season. Plus, even if Crawford isn't ready for October, he could be at some point during the season. 

I just seriously doubt we give up Darling. Given our investment in him to this point, hoping he is the goalie we thought we traded for is probably our best hope at the moment.  

11 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

There are two scenarios where we look foolish and two where we look smart

Foolish:

Keep Darling and he repeats last season, forcing us to buy him out

Trade Darling at 50% retained and he performs at least top 15

Smart:

Keep Darling and is top 20 in statistics

Trade Darling at 50% and he repeats last seasons performance.

No matter how Darling looks while traded we look really dumb if bet the farm on Mrazek and he performs awfully. 

50% shot we look dumb or smart.  I dont know the right answer but I dont believe Mrazek is a guy I want to have start.  I dont think we can get a guy either, unless we use some of the deep farm to overpay for Rinne or Varlamov.  

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

So what are our plans for Saku Maenalanen? Charlotte or does he have a shot?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a long look with Aho and TT. Even though it seems that is Zykov's slot to lose, they all came up in the same system, he and Aho were teammates in Juniors, and they played together at Worlds.

Just now, top-shelf-1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a long look with Aho and TT.

I'm kinda thinking that too for the reason you posted

Just now, OBXer said:

Tell you this, if they show chemistry together, moving Skinner suddenly hurts a whole lot less. Although the return is still brutal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Tell you this, if they show chemistry together, moving Skinner suddenly hurts a whole lot less. Although the return is still brutal.

top, as much as i was and am in the opposite camp from you on Skinner, I have always acceded to you on him, however I also feel that his trade was inevitable as he had gotten beyond the point of no return in reestablishing his confidence in his relationship with this team, coaches and management. That impasse was, I'll further concede, mutual. As to your comment here "the return is still brutal", I don't think there's any around that truism, IN THE IMMEDIATE PERIOD. What I'm hoping is that as things unfold in a year or perhaps 2, we'll evaluate things in a different light, and the gains made offset the apparent one-sidedness of this trade, making our administration look again like "country bumpkins"? That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a long look with Aho and TT. Even though it seems that is Zykov's slot to lose, they all came up in the same system, he and Aho were teammates in Juniors, and they played together at Worlds.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Here's 2 other reasons I think he may get a long look:

1. League minimum is $650k, but they signed Maenalanen at $925k with a $92.5k signing bonus and potentially $350k in playing bonuses. 2-way contract, but still . . .
  2. He's 24 years old.  Gotta believe they're thinking he might help sooner as compared to him being a development project.

Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and experience an "Aho surprise" (lite) all over again!

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

First, I don't think the chances of snagging a number one goalie will be any better next year. So, my hope still lies in the system where we can at some point fartz out a number one.  Otherwise, or until then, it's tough.

I think Darling getting moved now has zero chance of happening.  There's a better chance of him rebounding imo.  And we have two shots at that.  So, I guess roll the dice and hope for better results.

Fire away....

Wait, whut?  No more he has to go straight to Charlotte for seasoning?  Your slipping bro.