The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

Boomer thought Calgary was out of their minds moving Dougie.  He fires a lot of shots.  They played a highlight of him scoring in OT 3 on 3.  We sure could use someone who isn't afraid to fire it in OT.  

3 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Boomer thought Calgary was out of their minds moving Dougie.  He fires a lot of shots.  They played a highlight of him scoring in OT 3 on 3.  We sure could use someone who isn't afraid to fire it in OT.  

I think Brindy said they need to just play and not fear to lose.  Or was it Boomer?  I need to listen to it again while I'm not trying to avoid idiots on 540.

Anyway, glad Boomer finally dissed the Canes for the playoffs.  It wasn't working anyway.   Discomfort worked well for Vegas.  There is no more Carolina comfort.  Maybe they'll now have something to prove.

Edited by wxray1

On Brindy, I agree. He does not have precise answers to how to fix specific problem areas. The PP stayed in the bottom 1/3 with him as it's coach, and he's been in the brain trust during a lot of the bad years. When asked about how to fix our OT woes, his first response was "good question". But at least he did say they would "go for it" and not play to "not lose". Brindy puts a lot of emphasis on confidence and culture and mindset, but how do you get that when you keep losing? Not sure, but Brind'Amour can probably do it if anyone can.

My theory is that a lot of the mental issue with the team comes from just plain bad goaltending. Not all of it, mind you, the lack of finish is also a problem, but many nights this team would out play the opponent, sometimes severely, only to watch one or even two soft goals go in. This is deflating each time, but over time the cumulative effect is a chronic expectation that something will go wrong. And it makes sense, and it is unreasonable to expect the guys to think differently after it happens over and over and over. I think we were as good as a lot of teams, but team with stellar goalies just have that confidence and the fact that less shots do go in for them. It affects offense too.

Strangely, while I don't see Brind'Amour as an X-O genius, I do think there is a decent chance he can still get it done. Just his raw leadership abilities combined with the clear ownership buy in to accountability and playing the right way, combined with what seems to be that "go for it" attitude could unleash an overall improvement almost because of less structure. Playing to win rather than not to lose could lead to an outburst or disaster. Just like he said in his interview with Boomer, Dundon will either have big success or big failure, not the squishy middle, Brindy's coaching style, of playing hard and the right way, but allowing guys to do their thing could also lead to big success or big fails. At this point I'm good with trying to avoid middle ground. 

Likewise an infusion of all these new faces and removal of some others could go either way. Could take a while for guys to mesh, or could change the culture fast. If guys play the right way, look out for each other, play fast, and edgy, but are still allowed to let their talent out, especially in OT, it could go well fast. Except for the Skinner move, the guys we have brought in are good players, not just more edgy and veteran, but good. 

None of this happens if the big bets in goal fail, and I get the pessimism from Boomer and his buddy (mostly due to our goal situation) but I have to agree that this is a thing that could go really badly or could go really well (more in goal than all of the other stuff). I'm in for the latter, but not heading to the Island until I see some pucks stopped by at least one of our goalies. 

1 minute ago, remkin said:

On Brindy, I agree. He does not have precise answers to how to fix specific problem areas. The PP stayed in the bottom 1/3 with him as it's coach, and he's been in the brain trust during a lot of the bad years. When asked about how to fix our OT woes, his first response was "good question". But at least he did say they would "go for it" and not play to "not lose". Brindy puts a lot of emphasis on confidence and culture and mindset, but how do you get that when you keep losing? 

My theory is that a lot of the mental issue with the team comes from just plain bad goaltending. Not all of it, mind you, the lack of finish is also a problem, but many nights this team would out play the opponent, sometime severely, only to watch one or even two soft goals go in. This is deflating each time, but over time the cumulative effect is a chronic expectation that something will go wrong. And it makes sense, and it is unreasonable to expect the guys to think differently after it happens over and over and over. I think we were as good as a lot of teams, but team with stellar goalies just have that confidence and the fact that less shots do go in for them. It affects offense too.

Strangely, while I don't see Brind'Amour as an X-O genius, I do think there is a decent chance he can still get it done. Just his raw leadership abilities combined with the clear ownership buy in to accountability and playing the right way, combined with what seems to be that "go for it" attitude could unleash an overall improvement almost because of less structure. Playing to win rather than not to lose could lead to an outburst or disaster. Just like he said in his interview with Boomer, Dundon will either have big success or big failure, not the squishy middle, Brindy's coaching style, of playing hard and the right way, but allowing guys to do their thing could. 

Likewise an infusion of all these new faces and removal of some others could go either way. Could take a while for guys to mesh, or could change the culture fast. If guys play the right way, look out for each other, play fast, and edgy, but are still allowed to let their talent out, especially in OT, it could go well fast. 

None of this happens if the big bets in goal fail, and I get the pessimism from Boomer and his buddy (mostly due to our goal situation) but I have to agree that this is a thing that could go really badly or could go really well. I'm in for the latter, but not heading to the Island until I see some pucks stopped by at least one of our goalies. 

We aren't in the locker room so it is hard to tell, but I guess I gather impressions and gut feel by listening to everything said by people in the locker room.

My gut feel is the team got somewhat intimidated by the thoughts of making mistakes, losing possession, etc so they opted to hold onto the puck when they needed to decide on taking it to the net.  I feel like this was likely a disagreement between Brindi and BP since it has come up a couple of times.  I always hear "A shot is always good" but I bet in film they heard a lot about it not being a good shot, we did take a lot of perimeter shots with no one in front.  So it became a mindset.   3 on 3 showed it glaringly. 

Just another gut feel $0.02 with only a little to back it up.   Probably as good as most of what we read on here.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

My theory is that a lot of the mental issue with the team comes from just plain bad goaltending. Not all of it, mind you, the lack of finish is also a problem, but many nights this team would out play the opponent, sometime severely, only to watch one or even two soft goals go in.

This was talked about a lot last night.  Boomer and "the other guy" mentioned that the lack of finish has been a topic for at least 3 years when it comes to the Canes.  Also, the "how did they snatch defeat from the grip of victory" issue has also been talked about repeatedly on XM.

They also spent a lot of time about the fact the Canes were the leading shot making team... and it went nowhere.

I honestly feel the failures in overtime in the last 4 years are all on Bill Peters.  Look no further than how many times Peters but two defenseman out there and we got burned because the other team was aggressively trying to score while we focused on skating around with the puck.

Brindy came right out and said it yesterday.  Attack aggressively and don't worry about losing.  Just getting to league average in OT [from 31st=dead last in the league] would be huge.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hag65 said:

My gut feel is the team got somewhat intimidated by the thoughts of making mistakes, losing possession, etc so they opted to hold onto the puck when they needed to decide on taking it to the net.  I feel like this was likely a disagreement between Brindi and BP since it has come up a couple of times.  I always hear "A shot is always good" but I bet in film they heard a lot about it not being a good shot, we did take a lot of perimeter shots with no one in front.  So it became a mindset.   3 on 3 showed it glaringly. 

I think you're onto it. (I'm also speculating (as always)). Brindy seemed to be saying,  especially in OT, but probably other times, that we were playing not to lose. 

I will depart slightly on the "A shot is always good" part though. Years of outshooting (we were number one in shots for vs shots against) and not converting hardly any of those weak far wing shots into the goalie crest into jack squat, contradicts that piece of conventional wisdom. The two missing pieces IMO are quality chances and finish. However, I do think we're both pointing at that with the idea of the guys being allowed to play. Allowed to create actual quality scoring chances by making plays. How many times did this team cycle the puck and never generate even a decent chance? 

Confidence can be gained this way too. (Again agreeing with your premise) that they are not afraid to make a mistake so long as they are trying to make a play. Lazy mistakes are different. But a team knowing they are free to make plays even if the also make mistakes, can lead to plays being made and more confidence, then rinse-repeat, and you got something rolling.

45 minutes ago, remkin said:

. . .

Confidence can be gained this way too. (Again agreeing with your premise) that they are not afraid to make a mistake so long as they are trying to make a play. Lazy mistakes are different. But a team knowing they are free to make plays even if the also make mistakes, can lead to plays being made and more confidence, then rinse-repeat, and you got something rolling.

When reading the above, did anyone else visualize Faulk at our blue line about to meet an opponent rushing up ice with the puck, and cringe? :o  Not saying I disagree with the concept, just concerned about it's application in one particular instance, lol. 

7 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

When reading the above, did anyone else visualize Faulk at our blue line about to meet an opponent rushing up ice with the puck, and cringe? :o  Not saying I disagree with the concept, just concerned about it's application in one particular instance, lol. 

There is a solution to that particular issue..:grin:

Also, while referring to the Canes Outlook hour on XM, their projections for Aho were pretty amazing. Not saying they're wrong, in fact given the lack of goals early in the season, he was basically on that pace after that, and some say year three is a break out year, but they were talking PPG territory. Last year only 24 players hit that, and it was all of the biggies.

They also said Svech is the number 1 pick most seasons, including last year, he would have gone ahead of Nolan Patrick and Hischier and they both did great their first season.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

There is a solution to that particular issue..:grin:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :P

On a different note, I keep seeing Slavin and Hamilton listed as top pair.  And that's what it would be if pairs were assigned by "ranking" the players on each side. But Hamilton is an offensive dynamo, while de Haan is quite the opposite (a total of only 12 goals in 320 NHL games), but he's great defensively. The "eye test" tells me that Slavin has more scoring potential than he's realized to date, especially if he's turned loose under a new scheme by Brindy.  For the sake of balance, and given the chemistry between Slavin and Pesce, I'm thinking no "top pair" per se.  Instead, keep Slavin with Pesce and run de Haan with Hamilton.  In addition to O/D balance, I've got to believe that using our "top" D-men for, say, 23 or 24  minutes per game (vs. north of 25min) will pay dividends when it comes to wear and tear as you get late into the season.   Adjust according to situation, of course.

Edited by LakeLivin

2 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

On a different note, I keep seeing Slavin and Hamilton listed as top pair.  And that's what it would be if pairs were assigned by "ranking" the players on each side. But Hamilton is an offensive dynamo, while de Haan is quite the opposite (a total of only 12 goals in 320 NHL games), but he's great defensively. The "eye test" tells me that Slavin has more scoring potential than he's realized to date, especially if he's turned loose under a new scheme by Brindy.  For the sake of balance, and given the chemistry between Slavin and Pesce, I'm thinking no "top pair" per se.  Instead, keep Slavin with Pesce and run de Haan with Hamilton.  In addition to O/D balance, I've got to believe that using our "top" D-men for, say, 23 or 24  minutes per game (vs. north of 25min) will pay dividends when it comes to wear and tear as you get late into the season.   Adjust according to situation, of course.

I think on the road we could /should see a more O & D balance.  At home I feel like de Haan and Pesce should suck the life out of the opposing top lines and use Slavin and Dougie as the top pair really push the offense from all sides of the ice.  

38 minutes ago, hag65 said:

They also said Svech is the number 1 pick most seasons, including last year, he would have gone ahead of Nolan Patrick and Hischier and they both did great their first season.

True. It was a great year for a team needing a forward to get the #2 pick. 

As to the other point, Hischier did relatively great, but Patrick put up 13 goals and 30 points. Hischier 20G and 50 points. 

A while ago I posted something about 1st and 2nd overall picks playing forward at 18 and their first years were hit or miss. The large majority became good to great players, but not all of them in year one. 

My own prediction is Svechnikov just seems like a guy who will score his first year and be in that group. I'm thinking at least Hischier numbers.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think on the road we could /should see a more O & D balance.  At home I feel like de Haan and Pesce should suck the life out of the opposing top lines and use Slavin and Dougie as the top pair really push the offense from all sides of the ice.  

I could see that, with even more situational adjustments as appropriate.  For example, I want to see Slavin and Pesce on the ice against McDavid's line as much as possible when we play Edmonton, regardless of the location. If we're down late in the game I want to see Slavin and Hamilton out there together as much as possible, again, regardless of where the game's being played.

Edited by LakeLivin

I was going to mention this back when the articles about Darling working out were posted.

I think it’s pretty cool/encouraging that Zykov is one of the guys (the others being Darling, Ward, and Slavin) that is in Raleigh, working out, and on the ice......in July.

He is a bit of a tough guy to read, and hopefully this points to good things.

• Like 1

I think Zykov might even outshine Svech this season. It depends on (to me at least) just how Svechnikov adapts to this level of hockey. Zykov has seasoned well in the AHL and showed last season he can produce (granted, he played with Aho and TT).

49 minutes ago, SuckaPunchd said:

I think Zykov might even outshine Svech this season. It depends on (to me at least) just how Svechnikov adapts to this level of hockey. Zykov has seasoned well in the AHL and showed last season he can produce (granted, he played with Aho and TT).

I just hope Zykov can bring a little defense as well because based on what i saw last season, he wasn't far off from Skinner defensively.  More than once i saw him in cherry-picking position while his 4 on-ice teammates were in the zone playing defense, and he was sometimes slow to get back.  I did like a lot of what i saw of his game, though.

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I just hope Zykov can bring a little defense as well because based on what i saw last season, he wasn't far off from Skinner defensively.  More than once i saw him in cherry-picking position while his 4 on-ice teammates were in the zone playing defense, and he was sometimes slow to get back.  I did like a lot of what i saw of his game, though.

That's part of why I think Foegele might outplay Zykov this year (if he gets a chance, given the difference in contracts).  Pretty close in scoring and better all around game.  But I think it's pretty clear that with Brindy at the helm there won't be any coasting on D, especially from the yutes.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hag65 said:

I have been thinking the same thing.  I am hoping he is our version of a Laine albeit bigger and more physical.

13 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

That's part of why I think Foegele might outplay Zykov this year (if he gets a chance, given the difference in contracts).  Pretty close in scoring and better all around game.  But I think it's pretty clear that with Brindy at the helm there won't be any coasting on D, especially from the yutes.

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Of course I'm a big Foegele fan, but I also think he might end up being the better all around player. I went back and looked at last year's numbers and Foegele was impressive, but Zykov was significantly better offensively in fewer games. I get giving him his shot now. He also has gone to the net. 

But Foegele did his thing as an AHL rookie and a draft year younger, and did not look at all overmatched in the brief NHL stint. Then there is the plus minus disparity. For the millionth time a bad stat, but the spread between Foegele and Zykov was big. Foegele got his points while playing both ends of the ice. 

I would really like to see Foegele on this team, but it's a bit of a log jam, and he probably will have to blow doors off and maybe even benefit from an injury to make the squad out of camp. I really like this player though, and when I plead for a Faulk for forward deal, he is the main reason I'd be able to live with that deal not happening. 

I read a piece by the Hockeywriters that said our future was coming into focus. I must need new glasses because it is still a little fuzzy to me.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Funny I was thinking the same thing. Of course I'm a big Foegele fan, but I also think he might end up being the better all around player. I went back and looked at last year's numbers and Foegele was impressive, but Zykov was significantly better offensively in fewer games. I get giving him his shot now. He also has gone to the net. 

But Foegele did his thing as an AHL rookie and a draft year younger, and did not look at all overmatched in the brief NHL stint. Then there is the plus minus disparity. For the millionth time a bad stat, but the spread between Foegele and Zykov was big. Foegele got his points while playing both ends of the ice. 

I would really like to see Foegele on this team, but it's a bit of a log jam, and he probably will have to blow doors off and maybe even benefit from an injury to make the squad out of camp. I really like this player though, and when I plead for a Faulk for forward deal, he is the main reason I'd be able to live with that deal not happening. 

Zykov scored more, but there was a big difference in how they scored:

Zykov 63 games, 54 points: 16 ES goals, 17 PP goals, 21 A. 

Foegele 73 games, 46 points: 24 ES goals, 4 SH goals, 18 A

I'm guessing Zykov got a lot of PP time while Foegele got very little, but a lot of PK time.  I just anticipate that long term, Foegele's (presumed) better 2-way game will translate better to the NHL.  On the other hand, our PP was pretty anemic, so hopefully Zykov will help on that front.  And the fact that he's here working over the summer suggests to me that there's a good chance he's motivated towards developing a better rounded game.  Hopefully they both become valuable contributors, and the sooner the better. :crossfingers:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Zykov scored more, but there was a big difference in how they scored:

Zykov 63 games, 54 points: 16 ES goals, 17 PP goals, 21 A. 

Foegele 73 games, 46 points: 24 ES goals, 4 SH goals, 18 A

I'm guessing Zykov got a lot of PP time while Foegele got very little, but a lot of PK time.  I just anticipate that long term, Foegele's (presumed) better 2-way game will translate better to the NHL.  On the other hand, our PP was pretty anemic, so hopefully Zykov will help on that front.  And the fact that he's here working over the summer suggests to me that there's a good chance he's motivated towards developing a better rounded game.  Hopefully they both become valuable contributors, and the sooner the better. :crossfingers:

That is a good point. Foegele spent the first half of the year on third and fourth lines too. So put together his rookie status (Zykov did not score anywhere near like Foegele his first two AHL years) and those points of little PP time and two way play, and Foegele may well end up being the better player long term.

6 hours ago, OBXer said:

I read a piece by the Hockeywriters that said our future was coming into focus. I must need new glasses because it is still a little fuzzy to me.

Like the Titanic, this ship was steered in a whole new direction with not just the personnel, but the so-called culture change. Like it or not, this is the course we’re locked into for a bit and we’ll see how good our iceberg detection system is!

Edited by surfzone365