The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Off-Season 2018

1 hour ago, surfzone365 said:

Like the Titanic, this ship was steered in a whole new direction with not just the personnel, but the so-called culture change. Like it or not, this is the course we’re locked into for a bit and we’ll see how good our iceberg detection system is!

I sure Dundon has a plan, I'm sure Waddell has a plan to implement the Dundon vision. I;m just having a problem seeing what the plan is. The team feels incomplete to me but I'm hopeful it works out. I just listened to the SXM  interview with Brindy from a couple of days ago. Sounds like there is a little uncertainty on how we will shake out but maybe thats not a bad thing, Brindy interview

12 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I sure Dundon has a plan, I'm sure Waddell has a plan to implement the Dundon vision. I;m just having a problem seeing what the plan is. The team feels incomplete to me but I'm hopeful it works out. I just listened to the SXM  interview with Brindy from a couple of days ago. Sounds like there is a little uncertainty on how we will shake out but maybe thats not a bad thing, Brindy interview

No doubt! There is a little more uneasiness this season compared to previous campaigns. In the past we were suppose to be on the cusp of making the playoffs with familiar faces and a familiar system. The crayon box has been shaken up and turned upside down and we’re all wondering how this picture turns out. I’m still with some optimism (albeit very cautious) for the reboot. Oh the suspense!! ?

• Like 2

Enough has changed to the point that the Canes are the "Vegas" of 2018-19.   Nobody is going to pick them, but everyone is intrigued.

Will the players step up and prove themselves?  TBD.

Not sure who has the most influence inside the committee, however from my armchair position the one clear issue was to remove players who didnt bring it every night. (may still be one or two of those left.) Next by intention or stumbled into it, we now have what appears to be a stellar defense, (that should have some offensive punch). We now have some gritty players with something to prove, maybe a half decent power play will emerge. I believe there is talent to score enough goals to be competitive, yes, we are counting on some yutes to step it up, but its not as bleak as years past imo... In the net, can it be any worse than last year, IF one of the two can improve its going to be a better season.... One other thing, Im tired of summer and ready for the puck to drop....

On a good note, listening to Boomer's Calgary recap brought a smile.

He and his partner were very high on Hamilton and they were really perplexed why Calgary would let a RHD of that caliber go. They said that for much of the year, Hamilton and Giordano were one of the best top pairs in the NHL. And that if he were a Cane's fan he'd be very happy with that trade.

They also pointed out how Calgary was 27th in the league in goals, and that needed to go up. I can't help wonder if Peter's possession system might not help that.

I definitely see a plan. In the end it will all hinge on Darling probably, and some on Mrazek. Ironically the most important part of the plan is the weakest part. I have to think that there are contingencies being worked up if both Darling and Mrazek come out and bumble and fumble. As a last resort, Dundon is probably ready to eat another year of no playoffs, if everything is in place except goalie, but that is just me guessing. 

The team is moving out guys who do not adequately contribute to doing winning things and trying to become grittier, while maintaining speed. Since I do not have access to the more detailed, accurate stats that we know the team is using, I have to fall back on plus/minus to at least generally make the point. I would argue that Lindholm fits this the least, but in his case he has underperformed expectations, in some years not been ready for NHL hockey, and was looking to be paid. 

Anyways, make of it what you will but we traded or let walk a combined -89, we acquired a total +17. 

Hamilton was #6 on his team in plus/minus. Ferland #1 (over 25 games played). DeHaan was #2 (at +11 on the Islanders).

I think that we are using better, proprietary stats, but over time they tend to play out on the extremes in the plus-minus (IMO). I am nearly certain that we are using specific stats that show that these guys, win battles, create good chances, make plays that create possession, block shots, etc. and we are looking at specific combinations of these actual recorded events rather than using plus/minus. Still the reflection is there in the plus/minus.

Of course the massive elephant in this room is Faulk. I think there are two reasons that things feel incomplete on this plan. One is goalie, but the other is that if we are valuing plays that lead to more goals going in the other guy's net, then Faulk sticks out like a sore thumb. Until Faulk is moved, at least for me, it's harder to sell the plan. It is the final piece.

Then there is no doubt that the brass is trying to make us rougher and tougher. They have explicitly said it from GM to coach. Brind'Amour basically said we are way to easy to play against and essentially the candy cane name is deserved and had to stop. The moves from Martinook to Ferland to at least Skinner and Hanifin out, mostly address this. 

I can see all of this coming together under Brind'Amour, again, as always, if Darling/Mrazek doesn't suck. 

We have a rougher, more gritty edge. Guys who will hit, stand up for teamates, go to the net, block shots, win battles etc, but are also skilled players. We have moved out guys who didn't do enough of that. We have a coach who is heralded as a legendary leader getting guys to play together and for each other, who want guys to make plays and let their skill out, while playing hard and the right way. We have a really remarkable defense that also suddenly become much more veteran while still being overall very young. We hit the lottery for a forward who should be a star, and then there is the sleeper for some (Boomer didn't even mention him) Martin Necas, who I think is much better than a lot of people think. And finally we have all of that depth pushing up: Foegele, Kuokkanen, Zykov, and much, much more, not to mention Jake Bean and hopefully Adam Fox on D. 

The question seems to be will it be enough this year, because outside of goal, the entire rest of the team looks very very solid for years to come. Can we get enough scoring and enough goaltending? Who knows? But I feel better about the scoring part. Frankly some of our lack of scoring was probably team let downs in goalie debacles having to focus on protecting the net. 

So I will feel very optimistic about this season if in pre season and early season, we get saves from the goalies. That is the single biggest thing to watch IMO. Can Darling handle pop flies and pucks in his feet? Can Mrazek show some consistent form? If so, things could fall nicely into place.

10 minutes ago, OBXer said:

NBC SPORTS SCHEDULED TO AIR RECORD 109 GAMES DURING 2018-19 NHL REGULAR SEASON

Tues., March 26 Carolina Washington NBCSN 7 p.m.

If we are still relevant in March maybe we won't be bumped and actually get on national tv

To bump this game would mean to bump one of Washington’s 18 nationally televised games. So I think we’re safe!  Incidentally, the Stanley Cup Champion Capitals get one fewer game than the draft lottery Chicago Blackhawks. 

42 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Based on how successful Rod was with special teams, how much of that success will carry over to the teams overall performance this coming season?

Ummm, lets see. With close to 50% turnover, 2 new asst coaches and off loading several players who likely don't fit Rod's mold, I think we ought to peek out from under that black cloud that haunts you bd58, and at least give the team 1 game before we start wringing our hands? Deal?

12 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I think we ought to peek out from under that black cloud that haunts you bd58,

Yeah right

Videos full of expletives it will be taken down. Personally I find them funny, but not within the standards of the board. Video content has to pass the same standards as written content.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I think we ought to peek out from under that black cloud that haunts you bd58, and at least give the team 1 game before we start wringing our hands? Deal?

wowzie_wowzie_woo_woo_by_darcsyde_by_the_darcsyde-da432hz.thumb.jpg.5c039b525f340a7009f5325928efb162.jpg

Free Game tix

Hmmm, waiting list for me...

"Thank you for your interest in the Free Preseason Game against the Nashville Predators on Sunday, September 30th at 1:30PM.

This email serves as confirmation that you have been added to the wait list for tickets to this game. Should additional seats become available, you will be notified via email or phone. Please note, this confirmation is not a guarantee of tickets."

6 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Hmmm, waiting list for me...

"Thank you for your interest in the Free Preseason Game against the Nashville Predators on Sunday, September 30th at 1:30PM.

This email serves as confirmation that you have been added to the wait list for tickets to this game. Should additional seats become available, you will be notified via email or phone. Please note, this confirmation is not a guarantee of tickets."

I am willing to bet that they will make more money from this game than any non sold out to 75% attendance game this season.  Anyone thinking the same here?

First, my apologies for choosing the extended "Game Over Man" clip.  Has a bit more than the short clip.   Whoops.  It was a bit foul.  Fit right in with the culture on the ice, not here, and understandably so.  Kids should feel free to visit here.  I guess I will never be invited to be a moderator...

As for this game selling out, that's great!  Mrs. WXray and I tried to go to the post first lockout free game and got turned away.  I think that game was more  a "day of" event.  In any case, this is great to hear!  We didn't sign up.  Oh well.

Seeing where Sekera is needing Achilles tendon surgery in Edmonton? Faulk rumors about to be relaunched? it is mentioned on Canes Country piece today. Oops, sorry bd58, should have jumped into the Faulk trade thread before entering here, then I'd have seen your post?

Edited by KJUNKANE